- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Phailin-hit slum kids attend city event
An ‘Evening with young children’ was held here to allow children from the slums of Brahmapur and Bhubaneswar to come together and celebrate their childhood.
Post Phailin, the children from both these areas had been disturbed and there was fear growing within them. The children, who are quite vulnerable during natural disasters, got an evening where they interacted among each other, danced, played and did a lot of merrymaking. They also made a resolve for a healthier and safer neighbourhood.
Over 200 children from People’s Rural Employment Movement (PREM), Youth for Social Development (YSD) from Brahmapur and Gyandeep Foundation, CCWD Center for Women and Child Development (CCWD), Ruchika Social Service Organisation (RSSO) and Gopinath Juba Sangha (GJS) participated in this event.
“Children need a safe and healthy environment for proper development. Young children’s access to affordable and quality basic health services, clean water, adequate sanitation and solid waste removal within their houses and neighbourhood should be included in urban development policies,” stated National Campaign Coordinator of Humara Bachpan Preeti Prada.
The evening saw guests including Accountant General, CAG Amar Patnaik, Programme Director Michael Figelson and Dharitri Patnaik, India Representative of Bernard van Leer Foundation (BvLF).
Many civil society organisations, research institutes and corporate bodies attended to show their solidarity with the slum kids.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Shimla, nearby spots wrapped in snow 08 Feb 2016 | IANS | in Chandigarh
- Modi dedicates NISER to nation 08 Feb 2016 | Sugyan Choudhury | in Bhubaneswar
- Inbrief 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- ‘Judiciary can play vital role in solving Indo-Pak disputes’ 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- INBRIEF 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- HP remembers association with Guru Gobind Singh 08 Feb 2016 | KK KAPILA | in Chandigarh
- 58,000 BPUT students yet to get certificates 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Haryana Town & Country Planning Dept plans joint site inspection 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- War veterans’ assn holds annual day 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Seminar on climate-resilient crops held 08 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
07 Feb 2016 | Rinku Ghosh
Photography legend Steve McCurry may be known for his iconic Afghan girl, but over the course of his long career, he has kept coming back to India, documenting our ever-evolving world. And though he may not have panned conflict-zone drama, he has a soul connect with each photograph of his India series...
Prime Minister Modi can advance the interest of the people of India by working effectively with President Obama.
I’m endorsing Marco Rubio to be our next president. We have got to turn the page on the Obama Administration.
Whatever is conjecture (about Netaji Bose) is not of consequence to me. What is of consequence is that he was fighting for India’s freedom.