Researchers roll out Puri-Konark growth plan
Research scholars of the CEPT University of Ahmedabad on Wednesday presented detailed development projects for the Puri-Konrak region and 131 adjoining revenue villages situated under the blocks of Astarang, Kakatpur, Gop, Puri Sadar and Brahmagiri.
The reasearchers’ report stated that the Puri-Konark tourist-cum-pilgrim circuit would be transformed into a modern tourist hub.The report was presented before a gathering of city residents and people’s representatives inviting their suggestions and objections.
Minister of Tourism and Culture Maheswar Mohanty listened to the suggestions and objections of residents at the meeting.The proposed development plan was prepared keeping in view the possible increase in the population by 2030. A special plan for the Nabakalebar festival of Shree Jagannath in 2015 was also incorporated in the development plan. Construction of a number of bus-stands, multi-storied parking lots, market complexes and pilgrim shelters for 10,000 persons would be undertaken.
This apart, an ecology-friendly tourist spot would be developed in an area of 100 acres along the Puri-Korak marine drive road near the Ramchandi Temple to woo more tourists.
Besides, the report asked for construction of footpaths along the roads at Puri town for pedestrians and widening of the existing roads for smooth flow of traffic.
The report too suggested streamlining of drainage and sewer systems to maintain and augment the health and hygiene conditions. Security of visitors and pilgrims also figured in the report. Removal of encroachments from underground freshwater zones, the restricted water works areas and other places too found place in the list. Further, the report mentioned development of the Puri-Konark beaches. Green, commercial, heritage and residential zones of these areas have been demarcated.
While the report advocated for a strong building regulation law to curb illegal constructions, it also suggested creation of enough mangroves along the beach to prevent soil erosion. The development project would be executed in four phases at an estimated cost of over Rs 147 crore.
Many noted citizens of the city participated in the meeting. District Collector NK Nayak, officials of the Puri and Kornak civic bodies were present. After considering the suggestions, the report would be sent to the State Government for approval, officials said.
- Dalit couple allegedly beaten up by upper caste men 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Man kills wife, daughter before ending his life 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- In brief 18 Aug 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Bail plea of Pauri Nagar Palika prez transferred to addl distt judge 18 Aug 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Met warns of heavy rain in parts of Uttarakhand 18 Aug 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Ramayana screened at Tribal Museum 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Govt departments jointly initiate vaccination scheme 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Pakur police arrest 2 ‚Äėarms smugglers‚Äô 18 Aug 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Woman robbed of her gold chain; police fail to find culprit 18 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal