Researchers roll out Puri-Konark growth plan
Research scholars of the CEPT University of Ahmedabad on Wednesday presented detailed development projects for the Puri-Konrak region and 131 adjoining revenue villages situated under the blocks of Astarang, Kakatpur, Gop, Puri Sadar and Brahmagiri.
The reasearchers’ report stated that the Puri-Konark tourist-cum-pilgrim circuit would be transformed into a modern tourist hub.The report was presented before a gathering of city residents and people’s representatives inviting their suggestions and objections.
Minister of Tourism and Culture Maheswar Mohanty listened to the suggestions and objections of residents at the meeting.The proposed development plan was prepared keeping in view the possible increase in the population by 2030. A special plan for the Nabakalebar festival of Shree Jagannath in 2015 was also incorporated in the development plan. Construction of a number of bus-stands, multi-storied parking lots, market complexes and pilgrim shelters for 10,000 persons would be undertaken.
This apart, an ecology-friendly tourist spot would be developed in an area of 100 acres along the Puri-Korak marine drive road near the Ramchandi Temple to woo more tourists.
Besides, the report asked for construction of footpaths along the roads at Puri town for pedestrians and widening of the existing roads for smooth flow of traffic.
The report too suggested streamlining of drainage and sewer systems to maintain and augment the health and hygiene conditions. Security of visitors and pilgrims also figured in the report. Removal of encroachments from underground freshwater zones, the restricted water works areas and other places too found place in the list. Further, the report mentioned development of the Puri-Konark beaches. Green, commercial, heritage and residential zones of these areas have been demarcated.
While the report advocated for a strong building regulation law to curb illegal constructions, it also suggested creation of enough mangroves along the beach to prevent soil erosion. The development project would be executed in four phases at an estimated cost of over Rs 147 crore.
Many noted citizens of the city participated in the meeting. District Collector NK Nayak, officials of the Puri and Kornak civic bodies were present. After considering the suggestions, the report would be sent to the State Government for approval, officials said.
- State of World Children Report 2017 released in Bhopal 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Election results indicate moral loss to BJP: Ajay Singh 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Tribal Festival at Bhopal Haat from today 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Urdu theatre festival at Bharat Bhavan today 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- OBC students in distress as scholarships cut down 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Little artists perform on stage 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 2K school children to participate in Balrang Festival 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Dehradun
- Hearing impaired kids participate in chess contest 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Yogendra Khanduri visits Balika Niketan 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Four drug peddlers arrested, contraband seized 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun