‘Student Social Responsibility’ gains ground
Student exchange programmes may still be at their infancy in the universities in Odisha, but the concept of Student Social Responsibility (SSR) is fast gaining ground.
For the fourth consecutive year, international students from the Virginia Tech and University of Wisconsin came to Odisha and were involved with students of Ganjam district and together carried out several developmental projects in the area.
The seven foreign students worked along with local students to implement projects on sanitation, personal hygiene, youth empowerment and signature campaigns.
For six weeks, they conducted Spoken English and Computer Literacy classes and exposure to higher education through institution visits and micro projects. “It was a great exercise for both project development and computer literacy,” said Elizabeth Bahret, a student of Psychology and Sociology at Virginia Tech.
Over 60 students from different schools and colleges of Gopalpur were made to assess the needs in their communities, chose a focus and developed an action plan for each village.
This rural youth empowerment project was organised by the Voluntary Integration for Education & Welfare of Society (VIEWS) at Gopalpur. SB Rao from the VIEWS said, “The whole idea of this students’ engagement is to promote Student Social Responsibility (SSR) for community empowerment. We intend to create similar chapters in colleges and universities of Odisha so that our students can spare some time and work for the deprived,” said Rao.
- Girls outshine boys again in Class XII Board exam 28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- CM congratulates Class XII exam pass-outs 28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- DPS-R students bag ‘Best Delegation Award’ 28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- First meeting of study team on prohibition to be held in city on May 5 28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- School Edu Dept, Wadhwani Operating Foundation sign MoU 28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- NMDC to install air quality monitoring system at Nagarnar steel plant 28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Modi makes a corruption jibe at Himachal CM 28 Apr 2017 | Kamal Joshi | in Chandigarh
- PM woos poor to set stage for Assembly elections in HP 28 Apr 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana to spend Rs 738 cr on water, sewer schemes 28 Apr 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Brand drugs prescribed for certain good reasons as well 28 Apr 2017 | SANJOY KUMAR SATPATHY | in Bhubaneswar