- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
‘Student Social Responsibility’ gains ground
Student exchange programmes may still be at their infancy in the universities in Odisha, but the concept of Student Social Responsibility (SSR) is fast gaining ground.
For the fourth consecutive year, international students from the Virginia Tech and University of Wisconsin came to Odisha and were involved with students of Ganjam district and together carried out several developmental projects in the area.
The seven foreign students worked along with local students to implement projects on sanitation, personal hygiene, youth empowerment and signature campaigns.
For six weeks, they conducted Spoken English and Computer Literacy classes and exposure to higher education through institution visits and micro projects. “It was a great exercise for both project development and computer literacy,” said Elizabeth Bahret, a student of Psychology and Sociology at Virginia Tech.
Over 60 students from different schools and colleges of Gopalpur were made to assess the needs in their communities, chose a focus and developed an action plan for each village.
This rural youth empowerment project was organised by the Voluntary Integration for Education & Welfare of Society (VIEWS) at Gopalpur. SB Rao from the VIEWS said, “The whole idea of this students’ engagement is to promote Student Social Responsibility (SSR) for community empowerment. We intend to create similar chapters in colleges and universities of Odisha so that our students can spare some time and work for the deprived,” said Rao.
- One more farmer commits suicide 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Death of 17 patients at MY Hospital: Administration yet to explain cause 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- 10% reservation in jobs for statehood activists: PIL referred to three-judge Bench 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Missing case of 17-yr-old boy: HC pulls up police for inaction 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ICAI Bhopal branch holds Yoga Day 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Numbers of swamp deer dwindling: Experts 24 Jun 2017 | Radhika Nagrath | in Dehradun
- Burglars decamp with goods worth Rs 1L in Eintkhedi 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC seeks State’s reply on basic amenities in Govt schools by next week 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Five robbers arrested in 3 days, two bikes seized 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- In brief 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi