- No evidence of killing of 39 Indians: Sushma Swaraj
- 'US should help build Indian Navy to force China back down'
- Will strike 'heart of US' if Kim regime threatened: Pyongyang
- Kargil Vijay Diwas: PM remembers bravery of armed forces
- Separatist leader Shabir Shah arrested in Srinagar
- Kohli wins toss, opts to bat against Sri Lanka in 1st Test
- Ghatkopar building collapse: toll 17; Sena worker arrested
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
- Ex CM takes a jibe at Chitnis for not withstanding promise made in assembly 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Surevin BPO launches IPO 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Committee to prevent mishaps being made 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- MP House passes Suppl Budget by voice vote 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM accords special focus to agriculture, edu, water, security 26 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Heavy rainfall brings inconvenience to residents of low-lying areas 26 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Approaching Raksha Bandhan adds flavour to Saavan fair 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- MCI debars Subharati Medical College from MBBS admissions 26 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Pivotal role for Parvarish students in ‚ÄėManliest Man‚Äô 26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Forest department initiates action against Goonch killers 26 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun