- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- CM to keep RLD away from SP-Cong loop 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Party feud still persists : Shivpal Singh Yadav 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- 12 killed, 35 injured after school bus collided with truck 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Atiq Ahmed quits SP; decides not to contest assembly polls 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- EC likely replace DGP and other officials 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- EC to give special passes to PC voters 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Second phase of polling in 67 Assembly segments to be issued on Friday 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Mayawati asks Smriti to make her education qualification public 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Priyanka decides not to campaign for Party in upcoming Assembly polls 20 Jan 2017 | Preetam Srivastava | in Lucknow
- Puri murder: Police take accused on remand 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
We will take steps with the backing of the Centre (on Jallikattu). You will soon see (the steps). Wait, good will happen.
I think it is in America's interest and the world's interest that we have a constructive relationship with Russia.
JLF's popularity has spread like wildfire and has resulted in the birth of other copycat festivals, which is also a good thing.