- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Protest marks Bhopal gas tragedy anniversary 04 Dec 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- No wedding bells for Tej, Ramdev’s niece 04 Dec 2016 | IANS | in Bhopal
- State’s 1.83 cr ration card holders, families linked to Aadhaar 04 Dec 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- C’garh pushing tribal dists to go cashless 04 Dec 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Sapling plantation training centre in Naya Raipur soon 04 Dec 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Rahul likely to visit C’garh on Ghasidas Jayanti 04 Dec 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Civilian injured in blast triggered by Naxals 04 Dec 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Cong’s crappy protest over demonetisation 04 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab promoted as tourist destination at HoA 04 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana: No impact of demonetisation on Rabi sowing 04 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
Army has been deployed without informing the State Government. This is unprecedented and serious. Is this a military coup?
For me, female attention is one of the best things ever. I love women and women love me. I love being a sex symbol.
Prime Minister Modi is a prisoner of his own image, inflicting suffering on the people of India to protect his own persona.