- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- State needs tough CM like kaluan singh: Amit Shah 28 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Akhilesh prefers no alliance for assembly polls 28 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Ramanand Yadav to from new political outfit ‘Samajwadi Swabhiman Manch’ 28 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Congress ropes in Priyanka Gandhi for poll campaign in State 28 Oct 2016 | Preetam Srivastava | in Lucknow
- SP Govt hikes honorarium of village heads 28 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Mayawati condemns Amit shah’s statement 28 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- ‘Master System Integrator’ to manage ‘Naya Raipur Smart City System’ 28 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- IIIT Naya Raipur to get solar power plant 28 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Will urge Rlys to offer jobs to apprenticeship candidates, says CM Raman Singh 28 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- CMDC to mine Bauxite in Narmadapur and Barima block in the State 28 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
23 Oct 2016 | Rajesh Singh
Despite wide-ranging backing and compelling arguments, expansion of the United Nations Security Council remains in limbo. Part of the reason is the complex mechanism in place to bring about the change, explains RAJESH SINGH ...
This election has turned my stomach upside down. It has been embarrassing. But I'll vote for policies, so it's Trump.
Donate whatever small money to AAP, as your money would be useful to defeat the corrupt Badal regimen in Punjab.
It's never easy to adapt a book into a film. The good part is whenever you get stuck, you at least have something to fall back on.