- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- UP govt asks for special financial package for bundelkhand 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM launches UP revenue code officially 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- BJP claims SP govt of misusing power for polls 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Droves of devotees throng Cuttack hill 07 Feb 2016 | JYOTIRANJAN PANDA | in Bhubaneswar
- Woman commits suicide after rape attempt 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- SIT returns from Vizag with important leads 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Nalco hospital at Angul to be upgraded 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- India to lay oil pipeline to Bangladesh 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Train services cancelled for fog to be restored 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Discussion on Odia Act in Assembly demanded 07 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
07 Feb 2016 | Rinku Ghosh
Photography legend Steve McCurry may be known for his iconic Afghan girl, but over the course of his long career, he has kept coming back to India, documenting our ever-evolving world. And though he may not have panned conflict-zone drama, he has a soul connect with each photograph of his India series...
Prime Minister Modi can advance the interest of the people of India by working effectively with President Obama.
I’m endorsing Marco Rubio to be our next president. We have got to turn the page on the Obama Administration.
Whatever is conjecture (about Netaji Bose) is not of consequence to me. What is of consequence is that he was fighting for India’s freedom.