- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- CM forms Committee for Angadwadi workers 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Rahul Gandhi to begin second leg of Kisan Yatra from sitapur 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Thakur asks Naiik not to reinstate Prajapati 25 Sep 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- MSY’s azamgarh rally cancelled 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Agitating schoolteachers threaten to boycott polls 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Pre-poll violence occurs at Utkal and Ramadevi 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- K’mal rape accused gets 20 yrs in jail 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Mom’s FIR: Gajapati drunkard youth held 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Water tank collapses; K’mal woman, daughter killed 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Brahmapur gold depositors seek justice 25 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
Political movements and Islamist identity of states like Iran or Pakistan or the Wahhabism of Saudi Arabia is the underbelly inspiring militant movements like IS.
The 1960 Indus Waters Treaty between India and Pakistan has survived two wars, and remains in force today.
We've already played without Lionel Messi. But for me as coach and for the team, it's a challenge if we have to play without him.