- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Temple demolition drive resumes in Cuttack
The Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) on Friday resumed demolition of illegal temples and other places of worship and brought down at least five temples that had come up encroaching upon the CDA lands at Markat Nagar here.
Equipped with the High Court’s order and adequate police support, CDA officials pulled down three temples in Sector 8 and two in Sector 9. The authorities have identified at least 38 such illegal temples in Markat Nagar and six in Mahanadi Vihar.
“These are execution of encroachment cases as these places of worship had come up on our land and we had given prior notices to the temple authorities to shift the deities and other necessary items from the encroached land before eviction,” said CDA Secretary PK Sethy, adding that the eviction drive would continue till all the identified illegal structures are pulled down. It may be mentioned that the Odisha High Court in June this year had asked the CDA to furnish details stating as to how many illegal places of worship have been identified in the city and how many of them have already been demolished.
The Supreme Court on June 26, 2013 had restrained the State Government from demolishing any more temples in the city while adjudicating a batch of petitions filed by different temple trusts. The trusts had challenged an order of the High Court passed on January 6, 2012, by the strength of which the Cuttack district administration had pulled down at least 30 places of worship in the city within one and a half months.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Ban beef export yadav says to PM 04 Oct 2015 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Additional aid of Rs 10 lakh to kin of Dadri victim 04 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Special Forces deployed for UP Indian railways 04 Oct 2015 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Ranjan directs Nirman Nigam to meet deadlines 04 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Lucknow
- ‘No need to go to police station, file FIR online’ 04 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Debt-ridden S’garh farmer ends life 04 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- J’suguda cops launch drive against coal smugglers 04 Oct 2015 | RAJKUMAR SHARMA | in Bhubaneswar
- Guv stresses on human resource development 04 Oct 2015 | RR Srivastava | in Ranchi
- Dengue cases cross 1,000 mark in State 04 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- BJD, BJP mass drive: Pseudo Gandhism on display 04 Oct 2015 | SRIKANTA K TRIPATHY | in Bhubaneswar
04 Oct 2015 | Shalini Saksena
Coke Studio@MTV Season 4 is all set to air its next episode today. SHALINI SAKSENA speaks to music composers, playback singers and lyricists about what’s in store for the big names this time It is bigger, better, more creative and has top luminaries of the music world like Javed Akhtar, Babul Supriyo, Prasoon Joshi, Anupam Roy and Jeet Gannguli...
03 Oct 2015 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Raipur and Bilaspur will be developed as smart cities during the next five years and active participation of the people in the projects will be key to transformation of these cities,” Chief Minister Raman Singh said on Friday. Addressing a programme organised here to mark the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri together with completion of ‘Clean India Mission’ kicked-off by Prime Minister Narendra...
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is discriminating against Opposition Chief Ministers and the States ruled by them.
It was great working with superstar Sylvester Stallone. As an actor, would be greedy and want that opportunity again.
Neither Hindus nor Muslims benefitted from the Dadri killing. Only political parties and politicians are benefitting.