- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
BJD stand on VP after NDA declares nominee
BJD supremo and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik is understood to have been waiting for the NDA to announce its Vice-Presidential nominee after which he would take a decision whom his party would extend support to for the VP post.
It may be noted that the UPA has already announced Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson and former West Bengal Government Gopalkrishna Gandhi as its Vice-Presidential candidate. Gandhi is also a friend of Patnaik.
The matter was reportedly discussed during the meeting held between party MPs and the CM at the latter’s residence Naveen Nival here on Saturday.
The meeting held ahead of monsoon session of the Parliament beginning Monday was attended by 21 of the party’s 28 MPs in both the Houses of the Parliament.
Besides, the issue of resentment of western Odisha MPs for not holding any of the Parliamentary posts was also discussed. While Balangir MP Keliksh Singh Deo brought to the notice of Patnaik that western Odisha people have been hurt as none of their MPs hold any of the Parliamentary post, the latter readily agreed to look into the matter at the earlist.
While Cuttack MP Bhartruhari Mahtab is leader of the BJD Parliamentary Party, Dhenkanal MP Tathagata Satpathy is Chief Whip and Puri MP Pinaki Mishra is a Standing Committee Chairman. Similarly, Baleswar MP Rabindra Jena is PSU Committee member. Nawarangpur MP Balabhadra Majhi has been nominated to the Committee on SC and ST.
It was also decided that BJD MPs would demand for setting up of Tribunal for rightful solution of the Mahanadi water dispute, raising Minimum Support Price (MSP) of paddy to Rs 2,930 and allowing coal-bearing States to impose green tax. The BJD MPs would also demand authority to impose green tax under GST purview by the coal bearing states. This apart, the party MPs would also demand for Special Category State (SCS) status for the State and outstanding railway projects, said Singh Deo.
- Crorepati bank assistant in Vig net 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Six-month old elephant calf dies in pond 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- CSIR-IIP marks 59th Foundation Day 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Lok Adalat settles 356 cases in B‚Äôpur 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 1902 jail to turn into museum 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Pedestrians pose hindrance to traffic here 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Rourkela tagged under UDAN scheme 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Paramour behind murder of Neha Yadav 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Handloom saree drive in city a big draw 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- IISWC pen-down, tool down strike continues 25 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun