BJD stand on VP after NDA declares nominee
BJD supremo and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik is understood to have been waiting for the NDA to announce its Vice-Presidential nominee after which he would take a decision whom his party would extend support to for the VP post.
It may be noted that the UPA has already announced Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson and former West Bengal Government Gopalkrishna Gandhi as its Vice-Presidential candidate. Gandhi is also a friend of Patnaik.
The matter was reportedly discussed during the meeting held between party MPs and the CM at the latter’s residence Naveen Nival here on Saturday.
The meeting held ahead of monsoon session of the Parliament beginning Monday was attended by 21 of the party’s 28 MPs in both the Houses of the Parliament.
Besides, the issue of resentment of western Odisha MPs for not holding any of the Parliamentary posts was also discussed. While Balangir MP Keliksh Singh Deo brought to the notice of Patnaik that western Odisha people have been hurt as none of their MPs hold any of the Parliamentary post, the latter readily agreed to look into the matter at the earlist.
While Cuttack MP Bhartruhari Mahtab is leader of the BJD Parliamentary Party, Dhenkanal MP Tathagata Satpathy is Chief Whip and Puri MP Pinaki Mishra is a Standing Committee Chairman. Similarly, Baleswar MP Rabindra Jena is PSU Committee member. Nawarangpur MP Balabhadra Majhi has been nominated to the Committee on SC and ST.
It was also decided that BJD MPs would demand for setting up of Tribunal for rightful solution of the Mahanadi water dispute, raising Minimum Support Price (MSP) of paddy to Rs 2,930 and allowing coal-bearing States to impose green tax. The BJD MPs would also demand authority to impose green tax under GST purview by the coal bearing states. This apart, the party MPs would also demand for Special Category State (SCS) status for the State and outstanding railway projects, said Singh Deo.
- Tully, Tagore to grace maiden literary fest 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Reshuffle in MP: Narhari is CPR 23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM transfers ‚ÄėBhavantar' amount to 1.35L farmers' a/c 23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Don‚Äôt overlook interests of public, Guv to legislators 23 Nov 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | in Ranchi
- 5-yr jail, Rs 4 lakh fine for ex-CS Sajal Chakraborty 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lamhe-2017 to give chance to show talent 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Gov focus on curbing malnutrition remarkable: Forsyth 23 Nov 2017 | PRANAV PRATYUSH | in Ranchi
- Tata trusts on Mission 2020 for rural entrepreneurship 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Traffic police begin exercise to ease city arteries 23 Nov 2017 | PRAGYAPALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Working on secret plans: JPCC chief 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi