- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
Chandigarh women take out protest march
It was a women’s night out in Chandigarh on Friday as a large number of women took to the streets here to protest the stalking of Varnika Kundu.
The message of the protesting women was simple and this was to drive home the point that they were “free to move around at any time”.
Starting at 11 pm on Friday from the Chandigarh Rose Garden in Sector 16, the march passed through the markets of Sector 10 and 11 — well known as the ‘Geri Route’ (where youth make rounds on their vehicles).
Taking out the ‘Bekhauf Azadi March’ (freedom without fear march), the young and old said they were reclaiming the streets from “stalkers and elitist goons here”.
The protesters held candles, posters and placards to highlight the harassment, lewd gestures and comments and even instances of molestation that women and girls face at the hands of men on the city streets here.
“We have taken to the streets to give a message to everyone that women are free to move around at any time and cannot be forced to face harassment from men,” activist Amy Singh said.
The protest was organised exactly a week after Kundu, 29, a disc jockey and daughter of senior Haryana-cadre IAS officer VS Kundu, was chased and harassed by Vikas Barala, 23, and his friend Ashish Kumar, 27.
The chase, by the accused on their SUV, and stalking took place past midnight of August 4. Both accused were arrested on August 5. They were first booked by the Chandigarh Police for stalking and drunken driving. Both were soon out on bail.
However, following media pressure, the police later arrested them again after charging them with non-bailable Sections of attempt to abduction (Section 365 and 511 of the Indian Penal Code).
- Suicide: Ajay charge against CM 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Raman visits Naxal-hit Narayanpur to spur growth 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Police book 2 for ATM fraud at Bank of Baroda 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Women pay tribute to saree! 19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Tarbha locals get PMAY work orders 19 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Primary teachers to gherao Assembly on Mar 22 19 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Odisha‚Äôs Jyotiranjan all-India topper 19 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Subarnapur officials alerted over heat wave 19 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Retired employees hold annual meet 19 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Aid up to Rs 1L cr to IITs, NITs: Union Min 19 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar