- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Madhu Koda ensured recommendation for Jindal's firms: Court
- Chopper deal: Parrikar to place facts in Parliament on May 4
- Rajan faces death threat from Chhota Shakeel while in Tihar
- Bangladesh economy projected to rise gradually: World Bank
- 72-year-old rescued 13 days after Ecuador quake
- US demands halt to Syrian regime's Aleppo bombing
- 'F-16s right platform for Pakistan’s counterterrorism war' (08:38)
Haryana notifies Anand Marriage Registration Rules
Allows Sikhs to register marriage under these norms instead of Hindu Marriage Act
Meeting a long-standing demand of the Sikh community in Haryana, the State Government here on Wednesday notified the ‘Haryana Anand Marriages Registration Rules, 2014’, allowing Sikhs to register their marriages under these rules instead of the Hindu Marriage Act.
However, the Haryana Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee termed it as damage control exercise by the Congress led state government for upcoming assembly elections in the state.
Though, the Anand Marriage Act was enacted in 1909 and it had already been implemented in the neighboring Punjab, yet in Haryana there was no provision for registration of such marriages, and were registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
There are more than 15 lakh Sikhs living in Sirsa, Ambala, Kurkushetra and Karnal districts of Haryana, who were facing lot of problems while registering their marriages under Hindu Marriage Act here.
People from the Sikh community, while welcoming the move added that now it would be helpful for those applicants especially, who are abroad and being Sikh by religion have their marriage registered under the Hindu Marriage Act. Sikh marriage ceremonies are known as ‘Anand Karaj’ (blissful event).
Through this notification, State government also authorized the officials to register such marriages as Tehsildar for rural areas, Joint Commissioner for Municipal Corporation, Executive Officers for the Municipal Committee and Secretary of Municipal Council in Urban areas as Registrar for registration of marriages under ‘Haryana Anand Marriages Registration Rules, 2014’, said a spokesman of state home department.
While giving details, he added that the Anand Marriage would be registered with the registrar within whose jurisdiction such marriage is solemnized and parties would have to prepare memorandum in duplicate and submit the same to the Registrar along with documents to prove the solemnization of the marriage to the satisfaction of the Registrar and registration fee of Rs 50 only within a period of 30 days from the date of solemnization of their marriage, provided that for registration of marriages solemnized before the commencement of these rules, memorandum would be submitted within a period of one year from the date of commencement of these rules.
The memorandum would be signed by both the parties to the marriage and at least two other persons who have witnessed the marriage, he added.He further added that the parties who have not registered their marriage within the period specified would get their marriage registered by submitting the memorandum to the Registrar and a declaration along with documents to prove the solemnization of the marriage to the satisfaction of the Registrar and Registration fee to Rs 200 only.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Naik asks CM to take action against Khan 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Kejriwal to visit state for two days 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Varanasi, Balia tightens security ahead of PM’s visit 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Clerics dismisses Desai’s campaign 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Odisha only self-sufficient in rice 01 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- MSY praises for Jawaharlal Nehru 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- 266 posts in BPUT, 124 in VSSUT vacant 01 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- SP leaders to go for 'Cycle Yatra' from may 1 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- CM announces sops for construction workers 01 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Verma killed in road mishap 01 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
01 May 2016 | Kushan Mitra
The red soil in the hills that surround the tiny village of Lanjigarh in Kalahandi district, Odisha, is full of bauxite — the source material for aluminium used in everything from aircraft to beer cans. Yet, mining in Niyamgiri hills has been scuppered due to concerns over the welfare of tribals residing there...
While customs and rituals should change in accordance with time, those having faith in the religion should be the ones who decide the matter.
Working with Salman was surreal. I learnt so much by just observing him. He has no starry attitude, he lets his guard down and is playful.
While Islamabad has repeatedly urged Delhi to resume the comprehensive peace process, India has instead signalled it is only interested in talking about terrorism.