- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Maharaja Ranjit Singh award to 67
In an initiative to promote sports in Punjab, the State Government on Saturday announced Maharaja Ranjit Singh awards — the highest sports award of the State to 67 players of different disciplines at Punjab Bhawan here.
Parkash Singh Badal would confer these awards on April 29 at Tagore Theatre, Chandigarh. However, Sukhbir Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister, who is also the Sports Minister agreed that there has been a delay in conferring the prizes and said that all backlogs in conferring such awards will be cleared by the end of the year.
Sukhbir added that the Government had formulated Maharaja Ranjit Singh Award Policy during the year 2011. All Padama Shree Awardees, Arjuna Awardees and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardees automatically qualify for Maharaja Ranjit Singh Award.
“An amount of around Rs 1.34 crore will go into the award ceremony which shows our dedication towards promoting sports in the State. In the past few years, our Government has spent around Rs 200 crore on upgrading the Sports infrastructure of the State and endeavored to provide latest sports infrastructure to sportspersons, so that they can train and compete with their international counterparts,” said the Deputy Chief Minister.
Punjab Government had been magnanimous in enhancing the quantum of Cash Awards to the sportspersons who win medals in Olympics, Asian, Common Wealth and other National and International Competitions.
He further added that any player of Punjab who wins a Gold medal, whether in an individual event or team event in Olympics, will be awarded Rs 2.25 crore.
The Silver and Bronze medalists would take home Rs 1.01 crore and Rs 51 lakh, respectively. The Gold, Silver and Bronze medalists of Asian Games would gain Rs 26 lakh, Rs 16 lakh and Rs 11 lakh and Commonwealth Games Rs 16 lakh, Rs 11 lakh and Rs 6 lakh, respectively.
Announcing the new initiative of the Government to encourage students to opt for a carrer in sports, Badal said that he has asked the Education department to work out a plan to introduce sports as an elective subject in boards examination, whose grades would be counted in the aggregate marks.
He said that by doing so sports would be a compulsory subject in every school and we would be able to nurture the budding youth into international players.
Announcing the organisation of Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh Punjab Games in priority sports disciplines some time in the third quarter of the year, Sukhbir said that the prize money of Rs 25 lakh per discipline would be given to the first three position holder teams. Emphasising on strengthening the infrastructure, Badal added that his focus is on creating quality players in the State.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- CM yet to distribute portfolios to ministers 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- State govt brace up security following Indian Army’s surgical Strike 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Former GM of ‘The Pioneer’ Dipak Mukherji dies following illness 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- State Govt to offer more facilities to cops 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Hafiz Usman to take strict action against guilty 30 Sep 2016 | Preetam Srivastava | in Lucknow
- Rs50-crore scholarship scam alleged in State 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Income Tax disclosures net may touch Rs200 crore in Odisha 30 Sep 2016 | NAGESHWAR PATNAIK | in Bhubaneswar
- Pharmacists threaten immolation before Naveen Niwas 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Adarsha Vidyalayas not yet made residential: Minister 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- No support for solar power projects in rural houses 30 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
The call of Modi to Pakistan and its people for war against poverty has no answers (from them).
When you begin, the kind of flak you get for anything an everything is disappointing.
These (terrorists) are people who kill children, kill Muslims, take sex slaves. There's no religious rationale.