× CLOSE MENU
Punjab launches Dr Hargobind Khurana Scholarship scheme
Saturday, 09 November 2013 | PNS | Jalandhar | in Chandigarh
Announced in this year’s budget, the Punjab Government on Friday launched scholarship scheme for poor meritorious students of Government schools in the name of Dr Hargobind Khorana — an eminent biochemist of Punjabi-origin and a Nobel Prize winner.
Under Dr Hargobind Khorana Scholarship scheme, the students securing 80 per cent and more marks would get RS 30,000 per annum. Launching the scheme, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said that the state was making all efforts to ensure poor students get quality education so as to bridge the gap with their convent-educated peers. He said that his government would open six ‘Special Schools’ across the state in which meritorious students would also be provided free boarding facilities. Terming hard work as the key to success, Badal said that he was happy to note that students from rural areas, mainly girls, were securing more than 90 per cent marks.
Assails Centre for escalating prices of tomatoes, onions
Slamming the Congress-led UPA Government at the Centre, Badal said sky-rocketing prices of basic commodities like tomatoes and onions reflected its complete insensitivity towards the common man. Squarely blaming the Congress for meting out step-motherly treatment to the state, he said that due to its stringent and unrealistic parameters, the farmers of the state were being harassed for the procurement of their food grains produced with sweat and toil.
Sukhbir hails CM for launching another pro-poor scheme
Lauding the Chief Minister for launching another pro-poor scheme, his Deputy Sukhbir Badal said that the ambitious scheme would give much-required impetus to the education in the state. “It is on record that every welfare scheme, whether it is Atta-Dal, Shagun, pension, free power or other, has been initiated in the state under Badal’s leadership. Due to his vision, all 30 lakh beneficiaries of Atta-Dal scheme would get Atta at the rate of Re one per kilo from next month,” he added
- Tully, Tagore to grace maiden literary fest 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Reshuffle in MP: Narhari is CPR 23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM transfers ‚ÄėBhavantar' amount to 1.35L farmers' a/c 23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Don‚Äôt overlook interests of public, Guv to legislators 23 Nov 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | in Ranchi
- 5-yr jail, Rs 4 lakh fine for ex-CS Sajal Chakraborty 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lamhe-2017 to give chance to show talent 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Gov focus on curbing malnutrition remarkable: Forsyth 23 Nov 2017 | PRANAV PRATYUSH | in Ranchi
- Tata trusts on Mission 2020 for rural entrepreneurship 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Traffic police begin exercise to ease city arteries 23 Nov 2017 | PRAGYAPALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Working on secret plans: JPCC chief 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
Copyright © 2017 The Pioneer. All Rights Reserved Site Designed and Developed by: Infomedia Web Solutions