All ready for Makar Sankranti snan in Haridwar
Devotees started flocking to Haridwar since Saturday afternoon to take dip in the holy Ganga on the auspicious occasion of Makar Sankranti which would start from midnight. Police claimed to have made elaborate security and traffic arrangements for the congregation.
Haridwar senior superintendent of police Krishan Kumar VK briefed the police officers and personnel on Saturday and gave them necessary instructions to ensure peace in the holy city during the congregation of devotees.
A Police officer said that with lakhs of devotees being expected to take holy dip at various ghats in Haridwar on Makar Sankranti they have put into place elaborate security arrangements with the deployment of additional forces.
Elaborate traffic plan has also been drafted for the same, he added.
Haridwar SP City Mamta Vohra has been made in-charge of the entire Mela area and assigned the task of maintaining law and order Besides, she would oversee the traffic arrangements, SSP said.
Meanwhile, the Mela areas have been divided into seven zones and 14 sectors. Deputy SP has been made in-charge of the zones while the police station in-charges, inspectors, senior sub-inspectors and sub-inspectors have been made sector in-charges. Besides, a bomb disposal squad has been formed with its personnel being directed to conduct checking drives regularly to prevent any terror attack during the occasion. Mounted police would be deployed too to maintain peace in the areas which are likely to see huge crowds. Besides, local intelligence unit personnel have been deployed with instruction to keep vigil.
Water police have been appointed at various ghats in addition to stop people from drowning in Ganga while taking the ritualistic holy dip.
A beggar squad has been formed to stop beggars from begging in the mela areas.
A missing found cell has been set up at the city control room to ensure that the missing persons are handed over to their near ones, SSP said, adding that the circle officer City and Kotwali inspector have been directed to launch drive for freeing the places in the mela premises from encroachment and for removing beggars in their jurisdictional limits.
This aside, police patrolling would be intensified by way of ensuring fool- proof security.
He asked all the units to maintain coordination with one another. He added that they are leaving no stone unturned to ensure a peaceful snan.
- State in dilemma over SC orders on Padmaavat release 19 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Social isolation, growing epidemic today, say experts 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- IN BRIEF 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CM inaugurates kill-waste machine 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Human trafficker taken on police remand 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BHEL bags order for setting up thermal power project 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- One dies, six injured in separate road accidents 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- FRI scientist feted with‚ÄúAdarsh Vidya Saraswati Rashtriya Puraskar‚ÄĚ 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Cops arrest one in case of broad-day light murder within the Roorkee court premises 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Two police stations,one reporting police post set up 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun