- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
ATM fraud: Police still busy with investigations
With a staggering number of over 70 complaints on fraudulent withdrawals of money from their accounts being reported from several police stations like those in Nehru Colony, Raipur, Dalanwala and Kotwali over the past three days, the police officers were found busy while lodging FIRs in their respective police stations on Monday.
While sounding concerned over the matter taking a grim form in the city and its outskirts, the state additional director general of police (law and order) Ram Singh Meena said that joint teams of Dehradun district police and cyber crime police station have been formed under the supervision of a special task force to crack them and also to bust the rackets operating to rob the people of their hard-earned money. “Some members have been sent to Jaipur in view of such cases being recently reported from there to explore whether the cases reported here have any link with the rackets operating in Jaipur,” he said.
However, he stressed more on the banks deploying security guards to man the ATMs being run by them round the clock. “Besides, it must be ensured that the CCTV cameras are operational in the ATMs,” he added.
Dehradun senior superintendent of police Nivedita Kukreti said that FIRs are being registered now in the police stations which have received complaints of money being spirited away from the ATMs by the fraudsters. “People are being asked to change their passwords immediately,” she said, adding that while complaints have been received from Dalanwala, Nehru Colony, Raipur and Kotwali police stations the maximum 56 such complaints have been registered in Nehru Colony police station. “Local police, Special Operation Group and STF have been pressed after such complaints were received,” she said.
“We on our part are keeping vigil on the ATMs and plugging the security loopholes once they are detected,” she said, adding that seven odd ATMs have been found sans any security guard. “Wires and two Skimmers have been found in two ATMs in Dharmpur area when the police teams checked them,” she said.
She said that as per the preliminary inquiry, the cases are proving to be ones related to skimming. “The fraudsters target such ATMs which do not have security guards and install a card reader on the ATMs real card slot. When someone slides the card into the ATM, the card reader stores its information on its magnetic strip. Apart from this, the criminals also install a camera which captures the PIN number of the user. With the help of magnetic data of card and PIN numbers, the cyber criminals get access into the accounts of unsuspecting people,” she said.
A Nehru Colony police station officer Rajesh Sah said that a total of 56 complaints have been received at the station over the past two days following which a team has been formed to investigate the case. “As per the complaints received, the cyber criminals have withdrawn over Rs 20 lakh from their accounts. The amount thus withdrawn from the individual accounts vary from Rs 1800 to Rs 80,000,” he added.
- First meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas held at CM residence 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Massive rebel camp destroyed in W Singhbhum 24 Apr 2018 | Parvinder Bhatia | in Ranchi
- DC DC MDM meal: headmastersuspended 24 Apr 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- 2 killed in road mishap in Gandhinagar 24 Apr 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Five held for illegal mining 24 Apr 2018 | Nityanand Dubey | in Ranchi
- Garhwa SP launches safety drive 24 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- LED campaign vehicle flagged off in Bokaro 24 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- MP Govt clears Rs 3,250 cr for dist roads construction 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Man gets lifer for killing aunt 24 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Mishra new Nalco Dir (Com) 24 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar