- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Fiat seeking info on illegal lab specimens in vain?
The chief wildlife warden SS Sharma’s instruction to forest department officers to gather all information regarding presence of any body parts of prohibited wildlife species in the laboratories of both Government and private schools, polytechnics and other institutions does not seem to have had the desired effect.
Though the instruction was issued in February this year, information procured under Right To Information Act has revealed that the Kumaun Kesari Pt Badridutt Pandey Government PG College in Bhageshwar has in its possession 96 specimens of wild animals
protected under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972. These specimens are being used in the zoology lab of the college and have not been declared under the Section 40 of the Act.
Under the Right To Information Act, People For Animals, Uttarakhand member secretary Gauri Maulekhi procured a list of all specimens accumulated by the college so far.
The specimens include various aquatic creatures, reptiles and invertebrates among others. In a letter to the chief wildlife warden, she has requested him to order confiscation of all undeclared specimens of animals protected under Schedule I and II of the Act.
In addition to directing an inquiry into the acquisition of the specimens by the college, the CWW has also been requested to initiate legal proceedings against persons responsible for declaring the specimens within the stipulated time. The role of the divisional forest staff who failed to act in this matter should also be inquired into while all divisional
forest officers should be directed to investigate similar cases in their divisions, she has requested.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Govt worked for welfare of students : CM 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Ministers in SP to be reinstated 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Rural schedule of power tariff in rural areas 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Micro-finance companies business come down by 50 per cent 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Demonetisation taken in national interest : Rajnath Singh 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- PM to address Parivartan rally in Moradabad 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Demonetisation - biggest scam in nation : Congress 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Dense fog claimed five lives 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Big bang: Make in Odsiha nets Rs 2.3 lakh cr! 03 Dec 2016 | SANJEEV KUMAR PATRO | in Bhubaneswar
- Make job plan for 1.25 crore youths: Pradhan asks State 03 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
29 Nov 2016 | Ananya Borgohain
The third edition of this unique festival promises to bring renowned names from different fields together for engaging and creative discussions, writes Ananya Borgohain The third edition of the Great Indian Film and Literature Festival is all set to start on December 2, 2016 at DLF Cyber Hub, Gurgaon. The festival that started in 2015 will see renowned artists of both the Indian film industry as well as the literary fraternity...
Army has been deployed without informing the State Government. This is unprecedented and serious. Is this a military coup?
For me, female attention is one of the best things ever. I love women and women love me. I love being a sex symbol.
Prime Minister Modi is a prisoner of his own image, inflicting suffering on the people of India to protect his own persona.