- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Fiat seeking info on illegal lab specimens in vain?
The chief wildlife warden SS Sharma’s instruction to forest department officers to gather all information regarding presence of any body parts of prohibited wildlife species in the laboratories of both Government and private schools, polytechnics and other institutions does not seem to have had the desired effect.
Though the instruction was issued in February this year, information procured under Right To Information Act has revealed that the Kumaun Kesari Pt Badridutt Pandey Government PG College in Bhageshwar has in its possession 96 specimens of wild animals
protected under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972. These specimens are being used in the zoology lab of the college and have not been declared under the Section 40 of the Act.
Under the Right To Information Act, People For Animals, Uttarakhand member secretary Gauri Maulekhi procured a list of all specimens accumulated by the college so far.
The specimens include various aquatic creatures, reptiles and invertebrates among others. In a letter to the chief wildlife warden, she has requested him to order confiscation of all undeclared specimens of animals protected under Schedule I and II of the Act.
In addition to directing an inquiry into the acquisition of the specimens by the college, the CWW has also been requested to initiate legal proceedings against persons responsible for declaring the specimens within the stipulated time. The role of the divisional forest staff who failed to act in this matter should also be inquired into while all divisional
forest officers should be directed to investigate similar cases in their divisions, she has requested.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- CM to keep RLD away from SP-Cong loop 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Party feud still persists : Shivpal Singh Yadav 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- 12 killed, 35 injured after school bus collided with truck 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Atiq Ahmed quits SP; decides not to contest assembly polls 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- EC likely replace DGP and other officials 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- EC to give special passes to PC voters 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Second phase of polling in 67 Assembly segments to be issued on Friday 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Mayawati asks Smriti to make her education qualification public 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Priyanka decides not to campaign for Party in upcoming Assembly polls 20 Jan 2017 | Preetam Srivastava | in Lucknow
- Puri murder: Police take accused on remand 20 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
We will take steps with the backing of the Centre (on Jallikattu). You will soon see (the steps). Wait, good will happen.
I think it is in America's interest and the world's interest that we have a constructive relationship with Russia.
JLF's popularity has spread like wildfire and has resulted in the birth of other copycat festivals, which is also a good thing.