- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
Fiat seeking info on illegal lab specimens in vain?
The chief wildlife warden SS Sharma’s instruction to forest department officers to gather all information regarding presence of any body parts of prohibited wildlife species in the laboratories of both Government and private schools, polytechnics and other institutions does not seem to have had the desired effect.
Though the instruction was issued in February this year, information procured under Right To Information Act has revealed that the Kumaun Kesari Pt Badridutt Pandey Government PG College in Bhageshwar has in its possession 96 specimens of wild animals
protected under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972. These specimens are being used in the zoology lab of the college and have not been declared under the Section 40 of the Act.
Under the Right To Information Act, People For Animals, Uttarakhand member secretary Gauri Maulekhi procured a list of all specimens accumulated by the college so far.
The specimens include various aquatic creatures, reptiles and invertebrates among others. In a letter to the chief wildlife warden, she has requested him to order confiscation of all undeclared specimens of animals protected under Schedule I and II of the Act.
In addition to directing an inquiry into the acquisition of the specimens by the college, the CWW has also been requested to initiate legal proceedings against persons responsible for declaring the specimens within the stipulated time. The role of the divisional forest staff who failed to act in this matter should also be inquired into while all divisional
forest officers should be directed to investigate similar cases in their divisions, she has requested.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Employees, farmers resort to civil disobedience 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Violence in hosps: Is it just part of docs’ job? 06 Oct 2015 | SUNDEEP MISHRA | in Bhubaneswar
- My women characters never admit defeat 06 Oct 2015 | SUGYAN CHOUDHURY | in Bhubaneswar
- Five-day Durga puja in Cuttack from Oct 20 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Puri civic body staffs call off stir 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Pay Rs3K, get your child’s age lowered 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong demands whitepaper on drought 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- SP urges CM to check price rise 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Displaced farmers stage stir at Kujang 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Employees oppose Centre’s insurance Bill 06 Oct 2015 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
04 Oct 2015 | Shalini Saksena
Coke Studio@MTV Season 4 is all set to air its next episode today. SHALINI SAKSENA speaks to music composers, playback singers and lyricists about what’s in store for the big names this time It is bigger, better, more creative and has top luminaries of the music world like Javed Akhtar, Babul Supriyo, Prasoon Joshi, Anupam Roy and Jeet Gannguli...
06 Oct 2015 | PNS | NAYAGARH
Demanding payment of arrears and reopening of the Nayagarh Sugar Mill, employees of the mill and members of the Akhu Chasi Mahasangh and Krushak Sangh under the banner of the Nayagarh Chinikala Banchao Kriyanusthana Committee resorted to civil disobedience in front of the Nayagarh Collectorate here on Monday. The agitators also locked up the main gate of the Collector office...
There is clear evidence where all the Taliban leadership is based. It is in Pakistan. Who is helping them, coaching them?
They that possess the skills to be within notes and sounds independent of any other input, are the blessed. We are not.
Israel is waging a fight to the death against Palestinian terror. This includes speeded-up demolition of terrorists' homes.