- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Fiat seeking info on illegal lab specimens in vain?
The chief wildlife warden SS Sharma’s instruction to forest department officers to gather all information regarding presence of any body parts of prohibited wildlife species in the laboratories of both Government and private schools, polytechnics and other institutions does not seem to have had the desired effect.
Though the instruction was issued in February this year, information procured under Right To Information Act has revealed that the Kumaun Kesari Pt Badridutt Pandey Government PG College in Bhageshwar has in its possession 96 specimens of wild animals
protected under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972. These specimens are being used in the zoology lab of the college and have not been declared under the Section 40 of the Act.
Under the Right To Information Act, People For Animals, Uttarakhand member secretary Gauri Maulekhi procured a list of all specimens accumulated by the college so far.
The specimens include various aquatic creatures, reptiles and invertebrates among others. In a letter to the chief wildlife warden, she has requested him to order confiscation of all undeclared specimens of animals protected under Schedule I and II of the Act.
In addition to directing an inquiry into the acquisition of the specimens by the college, the CWW has also been requested to initiate legal proceedings against persons responsible for declaring the specimens within the stipulated time. The role of the divisional forest staff who failed to act in this matter should also be inquired into while all divisional
forest officers should be directed to investigate similar cases in their divisions, she has requested.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Raj Babbar lashes out at PM Narendra Modi 26 Oct 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Akhilesh appeals PM to increase kerosene share for UP 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Family, Samajwadi Party united says MSY; refuses rift within party 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Mayawati slams RSS and PM 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Do not blame BJP for SP”s family fued: Manoj Sinha 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Ram Gopal likely to be replaced by Beni Prasad Verma 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Less chances for re-instate of sacked ministers 26 Oct 2016 | VN Bhatt | in Lucknow
- Robust strategy to be in place, says CEC 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Diwali bonanza: Punjab ok’s regularisation of 30K staff 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- SAD asks Kejriwal to explain why he took Cong help to form Govt in Delhi 26 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
23 Oct 2016 | Rajesh Singh
Despite wide-ranging backing and compelling arguments, expansion of the United Nations Security Council remains in limbo. Part of the reason is the complex mechanism in place to bring about the change, explains RAJESH SINGH ...
When the issue of five crore rupees came up, I intervened and told the film producers' guild that they don't have to agree to it.
I have an iPhone, but it's like one you give your two-year-old, where it pretends to press things, but nothing happens.
Akhilesh Yadav has been misguided by Azam Khan. He should understand Khan's design and mend fences with his father.