- Kerala tribal youth beaten to death by lynch mob
- Modi greets Trudeau with hug at ceremonial reception
- AAP vs Chief Secy: Police team at CM's residence
- PNB fraud: ED freezes deposits, shares worth Rs 44cr of Nirav Modi group
- Trump admin makes H1-B visa approval tough; Indian firms to be impacted
- Sunanda Pushkar death: SC notice to Delhi Police on Swamy's plea for SIT probe
- Australian Deputy PM resigns amid sexual harassment claim
- Parrikar discharged from Mumbai hospital
- SC asks if Kerala HC was justified in annulling Hadiya's marriage
- Canada High Commission cancels dinner invite to Khalistan terrorist
- PNB fraud: ED seizes luxury cars, more assets of Modi, Choksi
Free treatment to TB afflicted
Determined to identify the people afflicted with Tuberculosis before the World TB Day is observed on March 24, the district TB hospital is all set to launch an active case finding campaign from February 16 to February 28 in three blocks of Haridwar district, including the biggest block Bahadrabad. The campaign is to be launched on the direction of the health department, the TB Hospital officers said. They added that free treatment would be given to those diagnosed as TB-afflicted.
In line with this year’s theme on 'United to end TB', the district health authorities have chalked out a programme to spread awareness among the people so as to make them to go for thorough treatment once the symptoms appear. The doctors say that in case one has TB infection in a latent form, he must be counted as belonging to the high-risk group and he must take medicines to stop the bacteria from spreading in his body.
The district TB officer Ajay Kumar said while talking to The Pioneer that the TB infection control programme includes administrative measures, environmental controls and promoting the use of respiratory protective equipments like mouth masks. “In the rural areas, cleanliness and sanitation need to be maintained and fumigation must be carried out from time to time in the congested areas. We have been able to bring down the number of the TB-afflicted by half over the past two years,” he added.
He further said that 48 teams have been constituted to facilitate the case finding campaign in Narsen, Bahadrabad and Roorkee blocks. “The teams would be engaged in identifying fresh cases both in the towns and the villages of these blocks. The sputum samples of the suspected cases would be sent to DMC for test. If confirmed, the medicines would be administered to them free of cost,” he said.
While dwelling on how the disease spreads, Ajay Kumar said that TB bacteria spreads through the air and gets transmitted from person to person. “It is transmitted when a person afflicted with TB in lungs or throat coughs or speaks. Those near him might breathe in the bacteria and get thus infected,” he added.
“The people must understand that Tuberculosis does not spread through shaking hands, sharing food or drink, touching bed linens and the like,” said a city- based doctor Sanjay Shah. “It is only through sputum and water droplets in the air that the infection spreads. When a person breathes in the TB bacteria it might settle in the lungs and begins to grow. From there, they can move through the blood to other parts of the body, such as the kidney, spine, and brain,” he added.
He further said that the TB bacteria usually grows in the lungs and this is called pulmonary TB the symptom of which is bad cough that persists for more than three weeks besides pain in the chest, coughing up blood or sputum. Other symptoms are weakness or fatigue, loss of weight and appetite, fever, sweating in the night and the like, he said.
- Inbrief 24 Feb 2018 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav to be held on Feb 24, 25 24 Feb 2018 | Pioneer News Service | in Bhopal
- Kathak dance with Dhrupad music witnessed at Bhopal 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Grand award ceremony held at multi-art centre 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Turmali play staged at Tribal Museum 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Welfare, hostel scheme implemented to make foodgrain available 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Teesri Kasam movie screened at Dhusyant Kumar Memorial Museum 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Ujaas 2018 begins at Anand Vihar College for women 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman dies, met with accident on Feb 17 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- SCR Manufactures 100th AC EMU Set 24 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal