Mercury drops further, cold spell continues
The level of mercury keeps plummeting across Uttarakhand with many parts of the mountainous regions shivering under sub-zero cold at higher altitudes. In Dehradun, the minimum temperature dipped down to 2.9 degree Celsius on Tuesday. Another spell of snow and rain approaching, the weather might become colder in the coming days, say the meteorological centre officials, adding that rain/snow is likely after January 14. In the provisional state capital Dehradun, the elderly are choosing to keep indoors particularly after the evening descends. Traffic is thinning on the roads especially during the night hours. People are being found flocking around fire to beat the biting cold. The department officials said that the minimum temperature would dip further on Wednesday to settle at 2 degree Celsius. The lowest minimum temperature of the state -2.2 °C was recorded at Mukteshwar in Nainital district on Tuesday.
In Dehradun, while the maximum17 degree was 2 degree below the normal the minimum 2.9 degree was 3 degree below the normal on Wednesday. The weather condition showed a trend which was more of less similar in all the districts of the state. The maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 4.2ºC (eight degrees below the normal) and -2.2ºC (four degrees below the normal) at Mukteshwar and 18.4ºC (one degree above the normal) and 1.2ºC (four degrees below the normal) in Pantnagar. In Tehri district, maximum temperature was reported to be 8.0 ºC while minimum was -1.2ºC,” said the meteorological centre director Bikram Singh.
Singh further said that ground frost is likely to occur at a few places in Uttarakhand during the next two days in the morning/night hours. “It snowed and rained at the high altitude places, including Mussoorie and Dhanaulti, on Tuesday. This weather condition is due to western disturbances. Another spell of rain/snow is likely to be experienced in the state on January 15 due to the same western disturbances,” he added.
- Ultras caught in Palamu with kerosene 30 May 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- District Chess Championship concludes 30 May 2017 | RR Srivastava | in Ranchi
- Two persons injured in collision in Jaridih 30 May 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- No breakthrough yet in sunshine student’s death 30 May 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Maoists blow rail tracks in Giridih, torch vehicles 30 May 2017 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Global Skill and Employment Partnership Summit to be held at Hotel Amer Green 30 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Youth leadership camp organised at Sagar Group of Institutions 30 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 1 L Dovas geo-tagged for scrutiny in J’khand 30 May 2017 | SANTOSH NARAYAN | in Ranchi
- inbrief 30 May 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Five day Jharkhand Fest ends 30 May 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi