No action taken on geological report, locals write to CM
Complaining that no action has been taken on the geological report of the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG) on the power channel of the Srinagar hydro power project, local villagers and activists have written to the Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat and Devprayag MLA Vinod Kandari demanding necessary action to protect the live of the locals.
In the letter, the locals and activists of Matu Jansangathan state that no action has been taken on the WIHG’s geological report on the leakage of power channel for 16 months now. They State that those affected by construction of the Srinagar dam on the Alaknanda river find the dam proponent company silent and the government lethargic on this serious issue.
They write, “The power channel to the project’s power house is damaged at various spots. After the monsoon in 2015 leakage from this channel the lives of those living in Mangsu village located between the channel and the river are in danger. Under public pressure, the previous MLA Mantri Prasad Naithani had sought the report from WIHG. The report had been received on December 30, 2015 after which the company has not acted on the report. Even the previous MLA did not take any action after receiving the report though the conclusions reached in the report are very serious. Recommendations in the report cannot be ignored.” The institute’s report analyses that about 100 metre wide zone of the power channel is affected by leakage with three faults identified in this zone.
It states, “The broken linings of the power channel suggest that the bottom of the power channel might also be broken, as the wide cracks go below the road or towards the sub surgace region.” The institute had recommended that about 200 metre wide zone across the affected leakage site of the power channel must be re-strengthened by consulting with the structural geologist from WIHG. Further detailed investigation of the structural design of the power channel is needed by the agency like the Irigation Design Organisation, Roorkee.
- Two Hindi plays performed at Shaheed Bhavan 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Various events to mark 39th foundation day of MPSTDC 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 72 girls from MP to visit Wagah border 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Weekly review to improve in Board exam results soon: Kunwar Vijay Shah 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Congress mocks CM’s announcement of illegal mining ban on Narmada river 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- ASTHA is a positive initiative by employee union: SBI Chief 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM reviews ongoing projects through video conference 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- ‘More awareness campaigns needed for youth on traffic rules’ 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Congress leaders conduct online survey for tickets 23 May 2017 | Zafar Alam Khan | in Bhopal
- Farmer suicides are continuing: Sanjay Nirupam 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur