No action taken on geological report, locals write to CM
Complaining that no action has been taken on the geological report of the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG) on the power channel of the Srinagar hydro power project, local villagers and activists have written to the Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat and Devprayag MLA Vinod Kandari demanding necessary action to protect the live of the locals.
In the letter, the locals and activists of Matu Jansangathan state that no action has been taken on the WIHG’s geological report on the leakage of power channel for 16 months now. They State that those affected by construction of the Srinagar dam on the Alaknanda river find the dam proponent company silent and the government lethargic on this serious issue.
They write, “The power channel to the project’s power house is damaged at various spots. After the monsoon in 2015 leakage from this channel the lives of those living in Mangsu village located between the channel and the river are in danger. Under public pressure, the previous MLA Mantri Prasad Naithani had sought the report from WIHG. The report had been received on December 30, 2015 after which the company has not acted on the report. Even the previous MLA did not take any action after receiving the report though the conclusions reached in the report are very serious. Recommendations in the report cannot be ignored.” The institute’s report analyses that about 100 metre wide zone of the power channel is affected by leakage with three faults identified in this zone.
It states, “The broken linings of the power channel suggest that the bottom of the power channel might also be broken, as the wide cracks go below the road or towards the sub surgace region.” The institute had recommended that about 200 metre wide zone across the affected leakage site of the power channel must be re-strengthened by consulting with the structural geologist from WIHG. Further detailed investigation of the structural design of the power channel is needed by the agency like the Irigation Design Organisation, Roorkee.
- Police conducts mapping of incidents to bust snatching gangs 27 Jun 2017 | MUKESH RANJANA | in Ranchi
- Ill-maintained school buses under Admin radar 27 Jun 2017 | PRAGYAPALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Inbrief. 27 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Traders in a ‘wait and watch’ over GST 27 Jun 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | in Ranchi
- Police to attach properties of absconding accused 27 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- JGLS graduates in leading law firms 27 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- BJP MP dubs small ‘dovas’ as death wells 27 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Hindi play ‘Raakh Se Uda Panchi’ showcased at Shaheed Bhavan 27 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- What Ministers forget is more important, quips Roy 27 Jun 2017 | SANTOSH NARAYAN | in Ranchi
- Theatre buffs enjoy ‘Khubsurat Bahu’ at Antarang Hall 27 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal