- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
State bids goodbye to monsoon season
Decks are cleared for the winter to set in Uttarakhand as the Meteorological Centre has finally declared withdrawal of monsoon from the State on Wednesday.
The withdrawal line passes through Latitude 28.50N/Longitude 81.00 E, Kheri, Nowgong, Shajapur, Ahmedabad and Dwarka, Latitude 220N/Longitude 650E and Latitude 220N/Longitude 600E.
The level of mercury would start dipping in a few days, heralding the eagerly- awaited winter, the meteorological centre officials stated.
Uttarakhand has received 1,199 mm rain on the average against the normal figure of 1229 mm during the monsoon, showing two per cent deficient rains as compared to the normal between June 1 and September 30, 2016.
The meteorological centre officials said that departure -19 per to +19 per cent is deemed normal while departure -20 per cent to -59 per cent is called deficient. Things were better this year than in the previous year.
There is possibility of good production in agriculture and horticulture sectors following the monsoon this year, said the meteorological centre director Bikram Singh, adding that the monsoon had not caused major devastation in any part of the state save for two or three incidents this year.
Last year, 2016, Uttarakhand had received deficient rainfall. Uttarakhand has received normal rainfall this rainy season on the 10 per cent negative side.
The total rainfall in Uttarakhand during monsoon session was 28 per cent below normal from June 1 to September 29, 2015. Things were more or less the same in 2014 too.
The meteorological centre figures clearly indicate that the state experienced deficient (28 per cent) rainfall for two consecutive years-2015 and 2014.
In 2013, the withdrawal of monsoon was declared on October 17 while in 2014 the date was October 5. In 2015, the monsoon withdrew on September 29 while October 8 in 2016. Singh said that the duration of monsoon season in Uttarakhand usually spans over four months, starting from June 1 and closing on September 30.
- Previous Govts indulged in business of illegally acquiring lands: CM 18 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Himachal would emerge as natural farming state: Guv 18 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 18 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Now it is mandatory to link PMAY beneficiary with geo-tagging 18 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana will be expanded: Khattar 18 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Tara given life imprisonment 18 Mar 2018 | PTI | in Bhopal
- Minister‚Äôs daughter-in-law commits suicide at Udaypura 18 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Interactive session with intellectuals, scribes held for Gwalior trade fair 18 Mar 2018 | PNS | in Bhopal
- 2-day national level working model contest Nirmaan2k18 concludes 18 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Farmers forced to dump tomatoes, feed them to cattle for poor rates, says Ajay Singh 18 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal