Workshop on ENVIS opens
A regional evaluation workshop on Environmental Information System (ENVIS), a body of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change which collects and disseminates environmental information on set parameters, was inaugurated at the Forest Research Institute (FRI) here on Monday. Speakers stressed on the importance of information technology and the need to seriously consider environmental concerns.
The workshop was inaugurated by Economic Adviser to the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, M Kannan. He stressed on the need for ENVIS workshop considering the importance of information technology. Speaking on the occasion, the FRI director PP Bhojvaid cautioned the people regarding casual approach to the environment.
He emphasised that communication in the language of common people is critical for empowering the masses for climate change issues. The FRI ENVIS centre coordinator Shailendra Kaushik said that the ministry had instituted ENVIS in 1982 under which ENVIS centres across the country are supported to collect, collate and disseminate information relating to various themes covering the environmental sector, primarily through dedicated website besides other information products.
It has been envisaged in the guidelines for ENVIS scheme that performance of ENVIS centres shall be evaluated on annual basis through national/regional workshops by independent expert committees. This workshop is part of that evaluation scheme, he added. The workshop at FRI is being organised to evaluate the functioning of the ENVIS centres not only to consider their continuance based on their performance, but also to provide them the necessary guidance and training in performing their activities to meet the objectives of the ENVIS scheme and also help in decision support system of the Ministry.
- State in dilemma over SC orders on Padmaavat release 19 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Social isolation, growing epidemic today, say experts 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- IN BRIEF 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CM inaugurates kill-waste machine 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Human trafficker taken on police remand 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BHEL bags order for setting up thermal power project 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- One dies, six injured in separate road accidents 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- FRI scientist feted with‚ÄúAdarsh Vidya Saraswati Rashtriya Puraskar‚ÄĚ 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Cops arrest one in case of broad-day light murder within the Roorkee court premises 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Two police stations,one reporting police post set up 19 Jan 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun