Green Tribunal directs closure of illegally run Tangi brewery
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the State Pollution Control Board (SPCB) to close down the illegally-run breweries in Tangi in Cuttack district and file a compliance report on May 6.
The tribunal directed the Forests and Environment Department Principal Secretary, the Additional Chief Forest Conservator, the Cuttack district Collector and the Divisional Forest Officer to ensure that unit is closed and not permitted to operate during the pendency of this proceeding.
The closure order came during the hearing of the case filed by rights and green campaigner Subash Mohapatra of city-based Global Human Rights Communications.
Mohapatra alleged that prior approval of Central Government is required for non-forest use of any forest land and in this case no such approval has been granted which itself is a violation Section 2 of Forest Conservation Act 1980. Further suppression of fact that forest land is involved in project warrants suspension of environment clearance granted to the project. SR Breweries Pvt. Ltd has managed to obtain Environmental Clearance without necessary forest clearance. The unit illegally has encroached the forestland violating several environmental laws of the land.
Appearing for Government of Ministry of Environment and Forests lawyer SK Ghosh submitted that SR Breweries Ltd has not obtained the necessary forest clearance before setting up the brewery.
The tribunal directed to include the State Pollution Control Board as a party,
Petitioner Mohapatra welcomed the order, saying, “The State Government should proactively lodge the criminal cases against the encroacher and fix the accountability of the authorities whose negligence and action of turning blind eye to the entire episode.”
- State of World Children Report 2017 released in Bhopal 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Election results indicate moral loss to BJP: Ajay Singh 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Tribal Festival at Bhopal Haat from today 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Urdu theatre festival at Bharat Bhavan today 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- OBC students in distress as scholarships cut down 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Little artists perform on stage 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 2K school children to participate in Balrang Festival 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Dehradun
- Hearing impaired kids participate in chess contest 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Yogendra Khanduri visits Balika Niketan 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Four drug peddlers arrested, contraband seized 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun