- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Green Tribunal directs closure of illegally run Tangi brewery
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the State Pollution Control Board (SPCB) to close down the illegally-run breweries in Tangi in Cuttack district and file a compliance report on May 6.
The tribunal directed the Forests and Environment Department Principal Secretary, the Additional Chief Forest Conservator, the Cuttack district Collector and the Divisional Forest Officer to ensure that unit is closed and not permitted to operate during the pendency of this proceeding.
The closure order came during the hearing of the case filed by rights and green campaigner Subash Mohapatra of city-based Global Human Rights Communications.
Mohapatra alleged that prior approval of Central Government is required for non-forest use of any forest land and in this case no such approval has been granted which itself is a violation Section 2 of Forest Conservation Act 1980. Further suppression of fact that forest land is involved in project warrants suspension of environment clearance granted to the project. SR Breweries Pvt. Ltd has managed to obtain Environmental Clearance without necessary forest clearance. The unit illegally has encroached the forestland violating several environmental laws of the land.
Appearing for Government of Ministry of Environment and Forests lawyer SK Ghosh submitted that SR Breweries Ltd has not obtained the necessary forest clearance before setting up the brewery.
The tribunal directed to include the State Pollution Control Board as a party,
Petitioner Mohapatra welcomed the order, saying, “The State Government should proactively lodge the criminal cases against the encroacher and fix the accountability of the authorities whose negligence and action of turning blind eye to the entire episode.”
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Left draw mega campaign strategy for UP poll 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- SP release first list of 191 candidates for Assembly poll 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- EC issues notification for second phase polling 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- RLD to fight alone: declare list of 8 candidates 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Both SP-Cong flexing muscles to capture more seats 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Ramdas Athawale announce to contest for 200 seats 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- BSP identifies 40 leaders as star campaigner for Assembly poll 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Haryana to empower Panchayati Raj institutions 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Cold conditions continues in most parts of Punjab, Haryana 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana issue guidelines on bogus institutions 21 Jan 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
I want to personally thank Obama (and Michelle) for changing my life. His courage and compassion created equality for everyone.
My father has care and concern for others. You can’t control the world; you can only control your reaction.
Virat (Kohli) has showed a lot of trust in me and it was very important for me that people in the dressing room trust me.