- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
Green Tribunal directs closure of illegally run Tangi brewery
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the State Pollution Control Board (SPCB) to close down the illegally-run breweries in Tangi in Cuttack district and file a compliance report on May 6.
The tribunal directed the Forests and Environment Department Principal Secretary, the Additional Chief Forest Conservator, the Cuttack district Collector and the Divisional Forest Officer to ensure that unit is closed and not permitted to operate during the pendency of this proceeding.
The closure order came during the hearing of the case filed by rights and green campaigner Subash Mohapatra of city-based Global Human Rights Communications.
Mohapatra alleged that prior approval of Central Government is required for non-forest use of any forest land and in this case no such approval has been granted which itself is a violation Section 2 of Forest Conservation Act 1980. Further suppression of fact that forest land is involved in project warrants suspension of environment clearance granted to the project. SR Breweries Pvt. Ltd has managed to obtain Environmental Clearance without necessary forest clearance. The unit illegally has encroached the forestland violating several environmental laws of the land.
Appearing for Government of Ministry of Environment and Forests lawyer SK Ghosh submitted that SR Breweries Ltd has not obtained the necessary forest clearance before setting up the brewery.
The tribunal directed to include the State Pollution Control Board as a party,
Petitioner Mohapatra welcomed the order, saying, “The State Government should proactively lodge the criminal cases against the encroacher and fix the accountability of the authorities whose negligence and action of turning blind eye to the entire episode.”
- One more farmer commits suicide 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Death of 17 patients at MY Hospital: Administration yet to explain cause 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- 10% reservation in jobs for statehood activists: PIL referred to three-judge Bench 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Missing case of 17-yr-old boy: HC pulls up police for inaction 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ICAI Bhopal branch holds Yoga Day 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Numbers of swamp deer dwindling: Experts 24 Jun 2017 | Radhika Nagrath | in Dehradun
- Burglars decamp with goods worth Rs 1L in Eintkhedi 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC seeks State’s reply on basic amenities in Govt schools by next week 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Five robbers arrested in 3 days, two bikes seized 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- In brief 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi