- Almost USD 30 million seized in raids linked to Malaysian ex-PM
- Samsung must pay Apple $539mn in patent lawsuit: US court
- HDK faces floor test today; expected to sail through
- Special NIA court convicts five IM militants in Bodh Gaya serial blasts case
- Two men detonate explosive device at Indian restaurant in Canada; 15 injured
Green Tribunal directs closure of illegally run Tangi brewery
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the State Pollution Control Board (SPCB) to close down the illegally-run breweries in Tangi in Cuttack district and file a compliance report on May 6.
The tribunal directed the Forests and Environment Department Principal Secretary, the Additional Chief Forest Conservator, the Cuttack district Collector and the Divisional Forest Officer to ensure that unit is closed and not permitted to operate during the pendency of this proceeding.
The closure order came during the hearing of the case filed by rights and green campaigner Subash Mohapatra of city-based Global Human Rights Communications.
Mohapatra alleged that prior approval of Central Government is required for non-forest use of any forest land and in this case no such approval has been granted which itself is a violation Section 2 of Forest Conservation Act 1980. Further suppression of fact that forest land is involved in project warrants suspension of environment clearance granted to the project. SR Breweries Pvt. Ltd has managed to obtain Environmental Clearance without necessary forest clearance. The unit illegally has encroached the forestland violating several environmental laws of the land.
Appearing for Government of Ministry of Environment and Forests lawyer SK Ghosh submitted that SR Breweries Ltd has not obtained the necessary forest clearance before setting up the brewery.
The tribunal directed to include the State Pollution Control Board as a party,
Petitioner Mohapatra welcomed the order, saying, “The State Government should proactively lodge the criminal cases against the encroacher and fix the accountability of the authorities whose negligence and action of turning blind eye to the entire episode.”
- Modi visits J'khand today, to review aspirational districts' dev 25 May 2018 | Santosh Narayan | in Ranchi
- HP suspends 5 officials, including IPS officer for Kasauli incident 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana Govt issues advisory on Nipah virus 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Hemkund Sahib Yatra: An Exhilarating Spiritual experience 25 May 2018 | JASKIRAN CHOPRA | in Dehradun
- Punjab imposes Rs 5 cr fine on erring mill 25 May 2018 | Monika Malik | in Chandigarh
- Guv‚Äôs Cup Golf tournament to begin today 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Govt schools to pay domestic rates of power 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- One accused of killing leopard cub arrested 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CM inaugurates modern lab complex at GGIC 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Sanitation, employment and education are missions for Govt: Madan Kaushik 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun