- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Pramod Tiwari files nomination for RS poll
Nine-time Congress MLA Pramod Tiwari is all set to declared unopposed along with Samajwadi Party candidate Kanaklata Singh for Rajya Sabha. He filed the nomination papers for by-election to Rajya Sabha seat from Uttar Pradesh which fell vacant following the disqualification of party leader Rashid Masood.
Accompanied by UP Congress president Nirmal Khatri and party legislators, Pramod Tiwari filed three sets of nominations before returning officer and principal secretary( Assembly) Pradeep Dubey here just less than a hour before the expiry of the last date for filing of the papers. By not fielding any candidate, the ruling Samajwadi Party, which could have won both the seats of the Upper House, have supported the Mr Tiwari in one of the seat giving its unconditional support to the Congress.
Talking to media persons soon after filing nomination paper, Pramod Tewari claimed that he got full support of the entire House so he filed his nomination. He also tried to justify his nomination claiming that since the seat was vacated due to disqualification of Congress leader so he on the direction of Party president Sonia Gandhi filed the papers.
SP candidate Kanaklata Singh,daughter of former Samajwadi leader Mohan Singh, has already filed her nominations for the by-elections to the RS seat which fell vacant due to the death of her father. Both Mr Tiwari and Ms Singh are slated to get elected unopposed as there are no candidates against them. The official announcement would be made on December 13 afterthe expiry of last date of withdrawal of nominations. Pramod Tiwari was chosen as a member of UP Assembly for the first time in the 1980 and won nine times in a row from Rampur Khas seat in Pratapgarh district. He was the minister of UP from 1984 to 1989. He was also the Congress legislature party leader for a record time. On June 6, 2012, the Congress removed him as the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader and replaced him with Pradeep Mathur, a three-term MLA from Mathura.
The first by-election was necessitated due to the death of SP member Mohan Singh on September 22 and the term of the seat will expire on July 4,2016. The second seat where by-election would be held was vacated due to disqualification of Masood on September 19, after he was convicted in a crime. The term of the seat expires on April 2,2018. Today was the last date for nominations while scrutiny of the papers would be done on December 11 and candidates can withdraw their nominations till December 13.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- SP to hold Mega rally on December 20 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM says ePOS machines will make PDS more efficient 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Assembly polls likely to be shifted to April in UP 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Triple Talaq: AIMPLB opposes High Court judgment 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM to distribute bravery award to non-gazetted police personnel 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- RLD postpones kisan rally at Basti 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Woman hands over baby girl to relative 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Family of boy with hydrocephalus cries for help 09 Dec 2016 | RAJ KUMAR SHARMA | in Bhubaneswar
- Dog birth control scheme goes awry in Sambalpur dist 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Electricity produced from scrapped Rs500 notes! 09 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
For god's sake, do your job. You (MPs) are meant to transact business in Parliament (and not to disrupt).
Rahul Gandhi is competing with Arvind Kejriwal in TRP politics by levelling baseless charges on daily basis.
We (India and the US) are both multicultural societies, but nevertheless, hold together extremely well.