- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Pramod Tiwari files nomination for RS poll
Nine-time Congress MLA Pramod Tiwari is all set to declared unopposed along with Samajwadi Party candidate Kanaklata Singh for Rajya Sabha. He filed the nomination papers for by-election to Rajya Sabha seat from Uttar Pradesh which fell vacant following the disqualification of party leader Rashid Masood.
Accompanied by UP Congress president Nirmal Khatri and party legislators, Pramod Tiwari filed three sets of nominations before returning officer and principal secretary( Assembly) Pradeep Dubey here just less than a hour before the expiry of the last date for filing of the papers. By not fielding any candidate, the ruling Samajwadi Party, which could have won both the seats of the Upper House, have supported the Mr Tiwari in one of the seat giving its unconditional support to the Congress.
Talking to media persons soon after filing nomination paper, Pramod Tewari claimed that he got full support of the entire House so he filed his nomination. He also tried to justify his nomination claiming that since the seat was vacated due to disqualification of Congress leader so he on the direction of Party president Sonia Gandhi filed the papers.
SP candidate Kanaklata Singh,daughter of former Samajwadi leader Mohan Singh, has already filed her nominations for the by-elections to the RS seat which fell vacant due to the death of her father. Both Mr Tiwari and Ms Singh are slated to get elected unopposed as there are no candidates against them. The official announcement would be made on December 13 afterthe expiry of last date of withdrawal of nominations. Pramod Tiwari was chosen as a member of UP Assembly for the first time in the 1980 and won nine times in a row from Rampur Khas seat in Pratapgarh district. He was the minister of UP from 1984 to 1989. He was also the Congress legislature party leader for a record time. On June 6, 2012, the Congress removed him as the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader and replaced him with Pradeep Mathur, a three-term MLA from Mathura.
The first by-election was necessitated due to the death of SP member Mohan Singh on September 22 and the term of the seat will expire on July 4,2016. The second seat where by-election would be held was vacated due to disqualification of Masood on September 19, after he was convicted in a crime. The term of the seat expires on April 2,2018. Today was the last date for nominations while scrutiny of the papers would be done on December 11 and candidates can withdraw their nominations till December 13.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Rahul Gandhi talks about poor condition of roads in state 28 Sep 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- CM offers Rs20 lakh for martyrs families 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Deploy central forces before commencement of polls Nominations process says political parties 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- EC supports idea of simultaneous elections for Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM comes in support of youth leaders 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Pappu Nishad joins as UP state bridge corporation’s chairman 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Priest’s murder led to mystery in Amethi 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Khali: Want WWE kind of wrestling in every city 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Gosai, Yadav, Rabari communities to come under Backward Classes 28 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- HP CM inaugurates development projects 28 Sep 2016 | Kishori Lal | in Chandigarh
It should be understood that the Delhi Government has all the powers, except the powers of police. Everything else is there.
The (shoe) attack on Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi was a pre-planned one and engineered by BJP and RSS.
I hope the fact-checkers are turning up the volume and really working hard. Donald supported the Iraq invasion.