- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Nuclear-armed Pak can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes: A Q Khan
- Large cache of arms, ammunition seized in Rajouri in J-K
- Over 5 cr driving licences bogus; Offenders face one-yr jail
- Attack on African nationals: Swaraj speaks to HM, LG
- Nepal unveils $10 billion budget
- Egypt's army kills 36 militants, defuses 38 bombs in Sinai
- NASA successfully deploys space station's inflatable room
- Robbery case:Dec 16 gangrape convicts move HC against sentence
Pramod Tiwari files nomination for RS poll
Nine-time Congress MLA Pramod Tiwari is all set to declared unopposed along with Samajwadi Party candidate Kanaklata Singh for Rajya Sabha. He filed the nomination papers for by-election to Rajya Sabha seat from Uttar Pradesh which fell vacant following the disqualification of party leader Rashid Masood.
Accompanied by UP Congress president Nirmal Khatri and party legislators, Pramod Tiwari filed three sets of nominations before returning officer and principal secretary( Assembly) Pradeep Dubey here just less than a hour before the expiry of the last date for filing of the papers. By not fielding any candidate, the ruling Samajwadi Party, which could have won both the seats of the Upper House, have supported the Mr Tiwari in one of the seat giving its unconditional support to the Congress.
Talking to media persons soon after filing nomination paper, Pramod Tewari claimed that he got full support of the entire House so he filed his nomination. He also tried to justify his nomination claiming that since the seat was vacated due to disqualification of Congress leader so he on the direction of Party president Sonia Gandhi filed the papers.
SP candidate Kanaklata Singh,daughter of former Samajwadi leader Mohan Singh, has already filed her nominations for the by-elections to the RS seat which fell vacant due to the death of her father. Both Mr Tiwari and Ms Singh are slated to get elected unopposed as there are no candidates against them. The official announcement would be made on December 13 afterthe expiry of last date of withdrawal of nominations. Pramod Tiwari was chosen as a member of UP Assembly for the first time in the 1980 and won nine times in a row from Rampur Khas seat in Pratapgarh district. He was the minister of UP from 1984 to 1989. He was also the Congress legislature party leader for a record time. On June 6, 2012, the Congress removed him as the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader and replaced him with Pradeep Mathur, a three-term MLA from Mathura.
The first by-election was necessitated due to the death of SP member Mohan Singh on September 22 and the term of the seat will expire on July 4,2016. The second seat where by-election would be held was vacated due to disqualification of Masood on September 19, after he was convicted in a crime. The term of the seat expires on April 2,2018. Today was the last date for nominations while scrutiny of the papers would be done on December 11 and candidates can withdraw their nominations till December 13.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Upset flat buyers gherao Hi-Tech official in city 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Maoists destroy contractor camp in Rayagada district 29 May 2016 | pns | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘BJD minus Naveen will always remain in my heart as my party’ 29 May 2016 | DEBADAS PRADHAN | in Bhubaneswar
- 54,000 candidates appear for NISER screening test 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Reservation in pvt sectors demanded 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Make ECoR the best rly zone: GM 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 19,000 km roads, 9L houses to be built in 3 years in State 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Menstrual hygiene a challenging job in India 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Sex racket busted in city; two held 29 May 2016 | pns | in Bhubaneswar
- Unauthorised siding: NGT slaps Rs50 lakh on railway 29 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
We will present our case for Jat reservation before the court and make all possible efforts to get the stay on the quota vacated.
We carried out a strike against a Taliban leader. We will continue to do whatever needed to protect our forces.
I'd love to debate Bernie (Sanders) on television. It would get very high ratings. It would be in a big arena.