Smooth conduct of counting have been done in Gorakhpur and Allahabad
All eyes are on the counting of votes for Gorakhpur and Phulpur Lok Sabha bypolls on Wednesday where polling was held on March 11. The poll outcome will decide the fate of the fledgling tieup of Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party.
The bypolls were necessitated after Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya vacated Gorakhpur and Phulpur seats respectively, following their election to the UP Legislative Council in September last year.
The BJP has fielded Kaushalendra Singh Patel from Phulpur and Upendra Dutt Shukla from Gorakhpur against SP’s Pravin Nishad and Nagendra Pratap Singh Patel respectively. Sureetha Kareem is the Congress candidate from Gorakhpur while Manish Mishra is in the fray from Phulpur.
The Election Commission on Tuesday said that all preparations for smooth conduct of counting have been done in Gorakhpur and Allahabad, which will start at 8 am on Wednesday and the results are expected by late afternoon. In both byelections, EVMs equipped with VVPAT (voter verified paper audit trail), where voters can see for whom they have voted, were used while Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot System was used to dispatch postal ballots to eligible service voters in the constituencies. The elections will be seen as the first test of the popularity of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath as he himself has been a five-time MP from Gorakhpur. The BJP has been winning the seat since 1989. The low voter turnout in the byelections has somewhat unnerved parties contesting the elections. The voter turnout in Phulpur was 37.39 per cent and 47 percent in Gorakhpur and hence victory margins are likely to be thin as compared to 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
- UTC to use 180 buses to ferry Yoga participants 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Implement transfer act properly, says CS 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- INBRIEF 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Stage set for World Yoga Day celebrations 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lac producers to get new lease of life 21 Jun 2018 | Santosh Narayan | in Ranchi
- Guv distributes Cryo machines at Santhal Pargana 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Minister opens online checkpost 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CM pushes for doubling farm income in State 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CM Das‚Äô land loot barb against Sorens 21 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CAIT team thanks CM for providing relief in E-Way Bill 21 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur