UPCC hopes reviving after elevating Rahul as party president
Virtually gasping for survival in the country’s politically most vibrant state, UP Congress Committee (UPCC) sees a hope of reviving the outfit by elevating Rahul Gandhi as the party’s national president. The UPCC unanimously passed a resolution in this regard during a meeting in Lucknow on Thursday afternoon.
State Congress chief Raj Babbar moved the resolution at the meeting of party functionaries including city and district
unit chiefs and newly nominated members of the Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC).
“There is no opposition to Rahul’s elevation as Congress president and hence it was passed unanimously soon after Babbar moved the resolution during the meeting,” said UPCC spokesman Amarnath Agarwal.
This is the first time when Congress leaders from UP have passed any such resolution for promoting the charge to the Congress vice-president.
Agarwal disclosed that in his address to partymen, Babbar said tat it was Congress workers’ duty and everyone would feel proud if a leader who has been a source of inspiration and who gave every worker the strength to fight communal forces was made Congress president.
TheCongress spokesman claimed that besides Babbar, several prominent leaders including Sanjay Singh (MP), Deepak Singh (MLC) also lauded Rahul’s contribution terming him as the ‘messiah of labourers, poors and farmers’.
Agarwal said that the all the leaders claimed that with Sonia Gandhi finding it difficult to contribute enough time to the organisation, it was the right time to elevate Rahul Gandhi to the top post of Congress.
Several other Congress state units like Maharashtra, Goa, Delhi etc, have also passed similar resolutions seeking elevation of Rahul as party chief.
The UPCC resolution will now be fforwarded to All India Congress Committee (AICC) for necessary action. During a recent overseas tour, Rahul while replying to a querry, had consented on becoming the Congress president.
Rahul Gandhi (47) has been Congress vice president since 2013 and has been assisting his 70-year-old mother Sonia Gandhi, who heads the party. Sonia had taken over as Congress chief from Sitaram Kesari in 1998 and is the longest-serving head in the party’s 131-year history.
Several Congress leaders have raised their voices from time to time for making Rahul the party president but they were silenced by their colleagues.
Sources said that Rahul is likely to be crowned as President of AICC during the birth centenary celebrations of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi scheduled in Allahabad on November 19.
- Chouhan to return from US on Oct 28 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Martyrs' kin to get Rs 1 cr 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Statue of CISF official unveiled at BHEL 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hridya Drishyam a hit on Day 1 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 1 dead, 1 injured as bus hits bike 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Bhai Dooj: Women protest at Central Jail 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- State's boy to lead India in 7th Sultan Johar Cup 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Inbrief 22 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Poppy husk worth Rs 3.51 cr seized, 3 arrested 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Steps taken to ensure safety of tourists during Jal-Mahotsava 22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal