Mayawati supports NDA’s pick for Presidential nominee
The name of Dalit leader and Bihar Governor Ramnath Kovid proposed by the NDA for Presidential poll has forced Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati to toe BJP’s line, who even announced to support him if the Opposition failed to come up with a better alternative.
“BJP president Amit Shah and Union minister Venkaiah Naidu informed me about Ramnath Kovid’s candidature for Presidential poll. It would have been better had they discussed the name before announcing it, “she said in Lucknow on Monday.
Hours after the NDA zeroed in on the Bihar Governor as the Presidential candidate, the BSP chief said that as the NDA candidate is a Dalit from Kori community, who has less demographioc share, so the BSP would not oppose him.
``If the Opposition fields a better Dalit candidate then we will have to support that candidate,” she clarified.
Mayawati said that KR Narayanan, a Dalit, has been the President of India in the past. Hitting out at the BJP, she said that it would have been better if a apolitical Dalit was named by the BJP for the Presidential poll.
Kovind (71), a low profile Dalit leader and a two-term BJP Rajya Sabha member, is being seen as an astute choice by the Saffron party which has been targeted by Opposition parties over Dalit issues.
Kovid’s election is almost a certainty as the ruling bloc with the support of some regional parties enjoy a majority in the electoral college. His candidature is being seen as a political masterstroke as many parties would not like to oppose a Dalit being elected to the country’s highest office.
- WB, Jharkhand shine in OORJA football talent hunt 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Boom in mobile app biz likely post-GST launch 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- State Govt targets 3 lakh MT fish production 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Authorities brace to save people from lightning 23 Jun 2017 | ARYA SHARAN | in Ranchi
- States asked to ensure land for new projects 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lalu, Mishra appear before CBI courts 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- NHDC, State Govt sign MoU 23 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Iconic film ‘Boot Polish’ screened at Tribal Museum 23 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Criminals make off with valuables worth Rs7.95L from Sarpanch’s house 23 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- MCTE convocation: 24 students get diplomas 23 Jun 2017 | pns | in Bhopal