No ban on IAS, IPS officers for filling PIL
The Centre has clarified that there is no ban on IAS or IPS officers from filing Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the court.
According to a RTI information by Department of Personnel and Training (DOPT), Government of India has revealed that there is no provision in the All India Services (Conduct) rules 1968 that prohibits an IAS or IPS officer from filing PIL before the Court.
In a PIL filed by UP cadre IPS officer Amitabh Thakur, Allahabad High Court had directed to formulate policy as regards government servants filing PILs. Amitabh Thakur had sought information from the DOPT about the compliance of the High Court order.
The IPS officer in a statement said here on Sunday that the DOPT note sheet clearly states that there is no restriction to file PIL. It also mentions the case of V S Pandey where the Supreme Court has upheld the right of public servants to file PILs.
Yet, in order to have a balance between right to judicial remedy and its adverse effect on public service, DOPT is thinking of a policy of public servants taking permission to file PILs, while also worrying on why an affected authority grant permission against itself.
Meanwhile in another RTI revelation, Air India, whose proposed privatization is in news recently, does not have any information in this regards.
RTI activist Dr Nutan Thakur had requested Air India to provide the documents related with its proposed disinvestment, including those exchanged between Air India and different offices.
S K Bajaj, AGM (OA), Air India told through his letter dated July 11 last said that Air India has not made any communication to any other officers nor has it received any communication from any of the departments in respect of the proposed disinvestment of Air India. Hence, it has no information to provide in this regards.
As per Nutan Thakur in a statement here, it is truly strange that the Company whose privatization is being planned, seems to be out of the loop in the process.
- Modi visits J'khand today, to review aspirational districts' dev 25 May 2018 | Santosh Narayan | in Ranchi
- HP suspends 5 officials, including IPS officer for Kasauli incident 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana Govt issues advisory on Nipah virus 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Hemkund Sahib Yatra: An Exhilarating Spiritual experience 25 May 2018 | JASKIRAN CHOPRA | in Dehradun
- Punjab imposes Rs 5 cr fine on erring mill 25 May 2018 | Monika Malik | in Chandigarh
- Guv‚Äôs Cup Golf tournament to begin today 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Govt schools to pay domestic rates of power 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- One accused of killing leopard cub arrested 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CM inaugurates modern lab complex at GGIC 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Sanitation, employment and education are missions for Govt: Madan Kaushik 25 May 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun