Punjab Govt to amend law to enable hotels serve liquor
In a major decision to help the hotels, restaurants and clubs affected by the Supreme Court order of serving liquor within 500 metres of the highway, Punjab Government on Monday gave its nod to a proposal to amend Section 26-A of the Punjab Excise Act, 1914, for fixing the location of liquor vends on national and State highways.
The amendment, once passed, would lift restrictions on hotels, restaurants and clubs from serving liquor within 500 meters of highways, a State Government spokesman said here after a meeting of the Council of Ministers.
“By amending Section 26-A of Punjab Excise Act, 1914, all ambiguities for serving of liquor at hotels, restaurants and clubs would be removed by adding provisions whereby it is cleared that no retail vend would be opened within 500 metres of the National and State Highways, but these restrictions shall not apply to hotels, restaurants and clubs situated on the National and State Highways.
“The CoM (Council of Ministers) gave a go-ahead to the draft amendment Bill, 2017, in this regard, to be tabled during the current budget session for enactment,” the spokesman, quoting the decision of the Council, said.
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh chaired the meeting.
- State health dept to open small medical unit at office of State health directorate 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Sachin Khokhar from dreaded Sunil Rathi gang shifted to Nainital jail 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ‚ÄėLess defence products put factory staff in crisis‚Äô 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Report on Rashtrapati Bhavan trees presented to Pranab 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 2 persons blessed with vision from the eyes donated by Shantikunj resident 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 4 members of inter-State swindling gang nabbed 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 4-day All India Doubles Badminton tourney begins 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Doon DM reviews developmental schemes progress 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Dist health dept reports 4 new swine flu cases 27 Jul 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Vyapam accused commits suicide 27 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal