Punjab Govt to amend law to enable hotels serve liquor
In a major decision to help the hotels, restaurants and clubs affected by the Supreme Court order of serving liquor within 500 metres of the highway, Punjab Government on Monday gave its nod to a proposal to amend Section 26-A of the Punjab Excise Act, 1914, for fixing the location of liquor vends on national and State highways.
The amendment, once passed, would lift restrictions on hotels, restaurants and clubs from serving liquor within 500 meters of highways, a State Government spokesman said here after a meeting of the Council of Ministers.
“By amending Section 26-A of Punjab Excise Act, 1914, all ambiguities for serving of liquor at hotels, restaurants and clubs would be removed by adding provisions whereby it is cleared that no retail vend would be opened within 500 metres of the National and State Highways, but these restrictions shall not apply to hotels, restaurants and clubs situated on the National and State Highways.
“The CoM (Council of Ministers) gave a go-ahead to the draft amendment Bill, 2017, in this regard, to be tabled during the current budget session for enactment,” the spokesman, quoting the decision of the Council, said.
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh chaired the meeting.
- WB, Jharkhand shine in OORJA football talent hunt 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Boom in mobile app biz likely post-GST launch 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- State Govt targets 3 lakh MT fish production 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Authorities brace to save people from lightning 23 Jun 2017 | ARYA SHARAN | in Ranchi
- States asked to ensure land for new projects 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lalu, Mishra appear before CBI courts 23 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- NHDC, State Govt sign MoU 23 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Iconic film ‘Boot Polish’ screened at Tribal Museum 23 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Criminals make off with valuables worth Rs7.95L from Sarpanch’s house 23 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- MCTE convocation: 24 students get diplomas 23 Jun 2017 | pns | in Bhopal