- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul will lead the party with courage, dedication: Sonia
- Body of JeM terrorist found from Pulwama dist in JK: Police
- Mizoram becomes third power-surplus state in NE: PM Modi
- Coalscam: Ex-Jharkhand CM Koda, former coal secy get 3 yr jail
- Rahul Gandhi takes charge as Congress president
Railways closes foot overbridge to facilitate escalators construction
The only foot overbridge ( FoB) at the Howrah-end of the Tatanagar railway station was closed today to facilitate construction work of the escalators and lift project.
Officials of railway's engineering division said that as a first step movement of passengers with their luggage have been prohibited initially for three days. Later, the overbridge would be closed for a fortnight.
"We have no choice but to close the foot overbridge though we know that it will lead to inconvenience for passengers," said an official of the engineering division.
The official explained that closure of foot overbridge was necessary and passengers have been advised not to use the foot overbridge and use the alternate route.
According to plans, platform No. 1 will be equipped with an escalator ( or moving stairways ) , a lift and a ramp. Platform Nos. 2 and 3 will have ramps while the rest two platforms — 4 and 5 will have the facility of a lift and a staircase. The total project is estimated to cost over Rs 2 crore. Tatanagar, the second busiest station of South Eastern Railway, will be the second to boast the escalator facility. Howrah station in Bengal, the busiest on the South Eastern Railway network, has escalators connecting its old and new complexes. The facility was introduced in 2011.
Station manager O.P Sharma said that the foot overbridge was closed for the purpose of repairs and re-modification. "It is necessary step taken to complete the escalators and lift project and certain re-modification work is required to be done in the foot overbridge. Initially, it is closed for three days from today. After the next three days passengers alighting from trains at platform No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 can use the footbridge and straightway go out of the station. Passengers will not be allowed to use the steps of the foot overbridge at platform No. 1 as the re-modification work will take some time," said Sharma.
Located on the Howrah-Mumbai main route Tatanagar is an important station. Several important trains travel via Tatanagar, including the high-profile Rajdhani Express and Duronto Express. The station sees a daily traffic of 90 mail, express and passenger trains, besides a footfall of more than 60,000 passengers.
- Arrangements complete for counting for Himachal Assembly elections 17 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab failed to spend Rs 115 cr meant for SC students: BJP 17 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Himachal reels under severe cold conditions 17 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab Municipal polls to be held today 17 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Ownership, belongingness of citizens needed: Haryana CM 17 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Cold conditions prevail in Punjab, Haryana 16 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Rise above caste, religion: CM 16 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Hry Govt to function from hills for 3 days 16 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Hry Govt directs all depts to identify posts for disabled persons 16 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Cong Govt betrays industrialists by sending enhanced power bills: Sukhbir 16 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh