- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
BJP’s rebellion drama turns full circle
Loads of discontent and a general air of anguish among ticket aspirants and their supporters is giving Chhattisgarh’s BJP leadership sleepless nights on the face for the first phase of polling on November 11 this year.
While the quantum of discontent was somewhat subdued during announcement of the first list of the party’s candidates, the second list released by the party’s Central Election Committee on Sunday midnight has turned the wheel full circle.A number of popular ticket aspirants in their constituencies who have been denied a chance to contest polls in the second list have now come out openly against the decision of the BJP’s State Election Committee with a warning to go it alone in the polls as ‘Independents’ against party’s chosen candidates.
The biggest worry had emanated for the party’s leadership from Chief Minister Raman Singh’s home district Kawardha where Parliamentary Secretary Dr Siyaram Sahu who after being denied a party ticket openly revolted saying he has been ‘deceived’ by the party leadership.
Sahu who blurted out that injustice had been done to him even while he worked for the party in the region while the ticket was offered to the Vice President of Kawardha Nagar Palika Ashok Sahu .
Similarly, Rajiv Agrawal who was a ticket aspirant from the Khallari seat has already indicated to contest polls as an Independent candidate after being denied a party ticket.
In the Pandaria seat, a revolt had erupted among the party workers for offering a ticket to Motiram Chandravanshi while in Mahasamund former President of the Mahasamund Nagarpalika Vimal Chopra came out against party’s decision to offer a ticket to former Minister Poonam Chandrakar.
In Dhamtari, a section of the party workers have come out against former MLA Inder Chopra. In Raipur, BJP State Vice President Sachchidanand Upasane who was denied a ticket to contest from Raipur (North) stated that atleast four political parties are in touch with him to offer a ticket.
What came as a body blow to the party in the entire rebellion drama was that only a day before release of the second list of candidates, Karuna Shukla, niece of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee resigned from the primary membership of the party alleging she was increasingly being sidelined by the State party leadership.
Overall, the party has already commenced a ‘damage control’ exercise with BJP National Vice President and In-charge of Chhattisgarh J P Nadda saying that he is willing to hold talks with the rebels to calm tempers for making them agree to working for the party in the polls.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- CM raises question over PM”s idea of cashless society 05 Dec 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Muslim offers land for BJP’s Parivartan rally at Bahraich 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Maurya slams launch of incomplete projects by SP Govt 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- “Sulabh towards villages” campaign launched in Jaunpur 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Paddy procurement lags behind in Nuapada dist 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Villagers protest inclusion in greater Rourkela plan 05 Dec 2016 | Malay ray | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Remove road hoardings, encroachments by Dec 10’ 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- PCC chief opens rural poll campaign in N’pada 05 Dec 2016 | Ajit Panda | in Bhubaneswar
- NHRC puts Chief Secy, four DMs on notice 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- BJP demands Talcher civic body chief scalp 05 Dec 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
People of Punjab have discarded Arvind Kejriwal. The Aam Aadmi Party is a gone case in the State. He has been rejected already.
I kind of figured out that no matter how hard I work, it is going to be hard to get the 200-metre world record.
I think it's a little over the line (for a US President-elect) to tell somebody: ‘I will play whatever role you want me to play'.