- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
CBI files charge sheet against IAS officer for bribery
The CBI on Thursday filed a charge sheet against suspended Principal Secretary in Chhattisgarh Government B L Agrawal and three others before a special court here in an alleged bribery case, informed CBI Spokesman here.
The agency filed the final report before special judge Virender Kumar Goyal against the accused Agrawal, his relative Anand Agrawal, alleged middleman Bhagwan Singh and Burhanuddin who had claimed that he was working in the Prime Minister’s Office, said CBI Spokesperson R K Gaur said.
The court fixed April 24 for the consideration of the charge sheet, he said.
All four accused persons are currently in judicial custody, Gaur added.
The agency has alleged that Agrawal, a 1988 batch IAS officer, wanted to ‘settle’ an ongoing CBI probe against him, he said.
According to Gaur, the officer was facing investigation in two cases registered in 2010 when he was Health Secretary in the Chhattisgarh government.
He has been charge sheeted in one case, while the probe is going on in the other.
The agency has alleged that the officer had allegedly approached Bhagwan Singh, a resident of Noida, who took him to one Syed Burhanuddin to get a graft case ‘settled’, he informed.
Burhanuddin, who has many aliases, claimed that he was working in the PMO and would help him settle the case in his favour. Burhanuddin aka OP Singh aka OP Sharma demanded Rs 1.5 crore as illegal gratification for his services, the CBI FIR alleged.
At a meeting held between the trio on February 11, Agrawal agreed to pay the amount to get relief in the cases against him, it alleged, adding that Agrawal sent Rs 60 lakh in four installments to Bhagwan Singh using hawala channel, Gaur added.
He expressed inability to arrange cash for the remaining payment, following which Burhanuddin and Singh agreed to accept two kgs of gold as illegal gratification, the FIR alleged.
The agency has registered a case of criminal conspiracy and under Prevention of Corruption Act against Agrawal, Singh and others, the CBI official further said.
- One more farmer commits suicide 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Death of 17 patients at MY Hospital: Administration yet to explain cause 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- 10% reservation in jobs for statehood activists: PIL referred to three-judge Bench 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Missing case of 17-yr-old boy: HC pulls up police for inaction 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ICAI Bhopal branch holds Yoga Day 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Numbers of swamp deer dwindling: Experts 24 Jun 2017 | Radhika Nagrath | in Dehradun
- Burglars decamp with goods worth Rs 1L in Eintkhedi 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC seeks State’s reply on basic amenities in Govt schools by next week 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Five robbers arrested in 3 days, two bikes seized 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- In brief 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi