CBI files charge sheet against IAS officer for bribery
The CBI on Thursday filed a charge sheet against suspended Principal Secretary in Chhattisgarh Government B L Agrawal and three others before a special court here in an alleged bribery case, informed CBI Spokesman here.
The agency filed the final report before special judge Virender Kumar Goyal against the accused Agrawal, his relative Anand Agrawal, alleged middleman Bhagwan Singh and Burhanuddin who had claimed that he was working in the Prime Minister’s Office, said CBI Spokesperson R K Gaur said.
The court fixed April 24 for the consideration of the charge sheet, he said.
All four accused persons are currently in judicial custody, Gaur added.
The agency has alleged that Agrawal, a 1988 batch IAS officer, wanted to ‘settle’ an ongoing CBI probe against him, he said.
According to Gaur, the officer was facing investigation in two cases registered in 2010 when he was Health Secretary in the Chhattisgarh government.
He has been charge sheeted in one case, while the probe is going on in the other.
The agency has alleged that the officer had allegedly approached Bhagwan Singh, a resident of Noida, who took him to one Syed Burhanuddin to get a graft case ‘settled’, he informed.
Burhanuddin, who has many aliases, claimed that he was working in the PMO and would help him settle the case in his favour. Burhanuddin aka OP Singh aka OP Sharma demanded Rs 1.5 crore as illegal gratification for his services, the CBI FIR alleged.
At a meeting held between the trio on February 11, Agrawal agreed to pay the amount to get relief in the cases against him, it alleged, adding that Agrawal sent Rs 60 lakh in four installments to Bhagwan Singh using hawala channel, Gaur added.
He expressed inability to arrange cash for the remaining payment, following which Burhanuddin and Singh agreed to accept two kgs of gold as illegal gratification, the FIR alleged.
The agency has registered a case of criminal conspiracy and under Prevention of Corruption Act against Agrawal, Singh and others, the CBI official further said.
- INBRIEF 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- State health centres bag national award 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- JMM call for Opposition unity for ‚Äô19 polls 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Triumphant candidates celebrate, thank voters 21 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | in Ranchi
- BJP retains Mayor, Deputy Mayor posts in RMC 21 Apr 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Polling to be held on May 13 in 18 municipal committees of Haryana 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana orders crop loss assessment exercise 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Three MoUs signed at YMCA's Industrial Conclave 2018 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Nine more ministers in Punjab Cabinet 21 Apr 2018 | Monika Malik | in Chandigarh
- Collapsed bridge on Gangotri highway re-opens 21 Apr 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun