Disabled persons must take initiative to bring changes: Deepa Malik
India has potential to produce highest numbers of Para-athletes in the world provided there would be some facilities including sports stadium for disabled persons in every city. Above all, disabled persons must take initiative to bring the changes” said Deepa Malik, a well-recognised name in the field of disability sports.
Malik said that despite of all the odds, she managed to create her identity on international platform because she did not blame anyone and instead took an initiative to change her life.
“I started my career in sports at the age of 36 when many of the sports’ players retire. When I got paralysis attack, people started saying that my life would end in a room but I took initiative to change my destiny” she proudly expressed.
An Arjuna Award winner, Malik is the first and only Indian swimmer, biker, Car Rallyist and athlete in her category of paraplegic disability.“I also urge the Government to take appropriate steps for uplift of disabled persons” she added.
Malik was invited here by Young Indians (Raipur Chapter) to deliver a Motivational lecture based on her life, “Story of a Champion – Will on Wheels”.
In spite of being paralysed chest down, three tumour surgeries and 183 stitches between shoulder blades and a life on a wheelchair for the past 14 years that has not stopped the 44 year-old from taking up challenges.
She has won numerous accolades and recognition for her participation in various adventure sports including four Limca world records, current Asia Record Holder, Person of the year, CavinKare National Ability Mastery Award and many more.
Deepa has also been a regular motivational and inspirational speaker and has given several lectures and been a part of number of educational conclaves & MNCs across India impacting thousands of people, especially the youth that have benefited by her thoughts on positive attitude, hard work & commitment, power of perseverance and so on.
- Police probing from different angles in dead bodies‚Äô case 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- PRSI wins award 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Free cataract operation held at Arogyam Hospital 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Workshop on MGNREGA audit organised 18 Dec 2017 | Nityanand Dubey | in Ranchi
- Chakardharpur wins football tournament 18 Dec 2017 | VINOD PRASAD | in Ranchi
- MGM embarks on cleanliness drive 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lankan Anura Rohana sweeps 16th Tata Open 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jamshedpur Carnival to kick start today 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Kobad Ghandy rearrested days after release from bail 18 Dec 2017 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Youths participate in Dehradun Half Marathon in large number 18 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun