25 hurt in clash at Nirsa in Dhanbad
At least 25 people including seven cops were injured when a clash erupted between the people of two communities during the ‘Shaurya Diwas’ procession under Nirsa police station in Dhanbad on Wednesday evening.
Locals said that the clash lasted for more than an hour The irked mob ransacked dozens of police vans including PCR van at Uperkulli area near Indira Chowk. The police fired more than 12 shots in the air to bring the situation under control, said an eyewitness.
“Around 3.50 pm Bajrang Dal activists took out a procession observing ‘Shaurya Diwas’ (the 25th anniversary of Babri mosque demolition) under Nirsa Police station.
Suddenly few unsocial elements from another community started pelting stone at the procession near Indira Chowk and later, people from both communities clashed and started pelting stones at each other,” he said.
Terming the situation as “tense but under control”, Senior Superintendent of Police Dhanbad, Manoj Ratan Chothe said, “The police used force to quell the mob. DC Dhanbad Anjaneyulu Dodde alongwith senior police officials, magistrates and others were camping in the area. Enough police forces and para-military forces were deployed to manage the situation.”
Forces were also keeping strict vigils at sensitive areas, he said.
Meanwhile, the injured persons were rushed to the local hospitals where the conditions of eight persons are stated to be serious, hospital sources said. “People who got minor injuries were released after providing first aid,” added the sources.
- Six hours traffic block, dozens of trains affected 20 May 2018 | Ashis Sinha | in Ranchi
- Extortionist caught with money 20 May 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- 2 cyber criminals arrested in Giridih 20 May 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Summer camp concludes at DPS, Ranchi 20 May 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Tata Steel takes over Bhushan Steel Limited 20 May 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- HEC inks agreement with Russian firm 20 May 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Das mulls Tirupati model for Chhinnamastika temple 20 May 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Ganj Basoda will be made mini smart city: Shivraj Singh Chouhan 20 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 24-yr-old woman commits suicide 20 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Travel agent booked for duping Rs 40 lakh 20 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal