Ex-Bihar MP convicted for murder, sent to jail
A political heavy weight of Bihar, the former MP of Maharajganj Prabhunath Singh was found guilty in a 22-year-old murder case of former MLA of Masrakh constituency of Bihar Ashok Singh. The court pronounced the judgment on Thursday that also convicted two others in the same case.
Wife of former legislator of Masrakh Chandani Devi had appealed to the Supreme Court to transfer the case out of Bihar which was shifted to Hazaribagh court. While transferring this case the apex court had accepted that the main accused is so powerful that he can influence the witnesses and other informers.
On the request of Chandani Devi, the case was transferred to Hazaribagh court. The court found that Prabhunath Singh, along with Dina Nath Singh and Ritesh Singh is guilty in this murder case while released Kedar Singh unconditionally due to lack of evidences against him.
Soon after the verdict, the former MP and his two associates were taken into custody and sent to Hazaribagh central jail. The court will pronounce the quantum of punishment on May 23. During the proceedings the court premise was full with security personnel and the supporters of the former MP.
Ashok Singh was murdered on July 3, 1995 in the Gardani Bagh area of Patna, Bihar. After the incident the police had lodged a case no. 418/95 on the statement of his wife Chandani Devi in which Prabhunath Singh and his associates were named accused.
- Two Hindi plays performed at Shaheed Bhavan 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Various events to mark 39th foundation day of MPSTDC 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 72 girls from MP to visit Wagah border 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Weekly review to improve in Board exam results soon: Kunwar Vijay Shah 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Congress mocks CM’s announcement of illegal mining ban on Narmada river 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- ASTHA is a positive initiative by employee union: SBI Chief 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM reviews ongoing projects through video conference 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- ‘More awareness campaigns needed for youth on traffic rules’ 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Congress leaders conduct online survey for tickets 23 May 2017 | Zafar Alam Khan | in Bhopal
- Farmer suicides are continuing: Sanjay Nirupam 23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur