Excise Dept takes steps to check sale of illicit liquor
Concerned over the recent hooch tragedy in Ranchi, State Excise department's East Singhbhum unit has embarked on tough measures against manufacturing of illicit country-made liquor and its sale.
Separate teams of Excise department are conducting regular drives in the rural areas in Patamda, Dumaria, Mosabani and Bodam blocks. Over a dozen people were killed by consuming spurious liquor in Ranchi recently.
Assistant commissioner, Jharkhand Excise, East Singhbhum Manoj Kumar said they have embarked on a special drive against the manufacturing of illicit country-made liquor and also its sale.
"We have formed various teams to destroy the illicit country-made liquor brewing units, and also to carry out surprise checking of vehicles for detection of consignment of the liquor from the rural areas to the liquor dens in the steel city for sale," said Kumar.
The Assistant commissioner conceded that the special drive was launched in view of the hooch tragedy taken place in Ranchi recently. He informed that a team of Excise officials destroyed an illicit liquor brewing unit at Maramari village in Dumaria block.
“Illicit liquor is a hugely profitable industry where bootleggers pay no taxes and sell enormous quantities of their product. There is a need to restrict extensive abuse of the intoxicant in order to reduce untoward incidents in the society. Moreover, most of the hotels are not adhering to the rules while serving foreign liquor in lavish parties. Continuous raids must be carried against illegal distilleries especially in view of the forthcoming festive season later this year,” noted another official.
Notably, the steel city has a history of manufacturing of duplicate liquor as the district police had in the past busted several rackets of duplicate liquor manufacturing units, especially from the localities like Bagbera, Jugsalai and Kadma.
Kumar, when asked, said they have a facility for testing illicit country-made liquor, but do not have any such facility for testing the spurious IMFL. They have to send the samples of such liquor at a government chemist lab in Bihar for prosecuting the arrested persons.
- Three-day film festival on Kundan Shah from Oct 25 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Women of self-help groups earn Rs 200 per day making teddy bears 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 3 people killed in group clash 21 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Odisha-Jharkhand system changes day-night temp in MP 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Police nab accused in flesh trade racket 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Daughters of widow and visually challenged get admission in school 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 23-yr old youth dies in mishap 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Bogus names in voters' lists across MP: Cong 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Youth kills himself after money dispute with father 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Furniture gutted in Peergate fire 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal