- Chanda Kochhar to continue as MD and CEO, to go on leave till completion of internal
- CBI followed up with 6 countries to reiterate that Nirav Modi's passport was revoked
- Delhi HC asks who authorised Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal's sit-in at lieutenant
- Partly cloudy sky in Delhi, rains likely
- Kejriwal continues sit-in protest
Excise Dept takes steps to check sale of illicit liquor
Concerned over the recent hooch tragedy in Ranchi, State Excise department's East Singhbhum unit has embarked on tough measures against manufacturing of illicit country-made liquor and its sale.
Separate teams of Excise department are conducting regular drives in the rural areas in Patamda, Dumaria, Mosabani and Bodam blocks. Over a dozen people were killed by consuming spurious liquor in Ranchi recently.
Assistant commissioner, Jharkhand Excise, East Singhbhum Manoj Kumar said they have embarked on a special drive against the manufacturing of illicit country-made liquor and also its sale.
"We have formed various teams to destroy the illicit country-made liquor brewing units, and also to carry out surprise checking of vehicles for detection of consignment of the liquor from the rural areas to the liquor dens in the steel city for sale," said Kumar.
The Assistant commissioner conceded that the special drive was launched in view of the hooch tragedy taken place in Ranchi recently. He informed that a team of Excise officials destroyed an illicit liquor brewing unit at Maramari village in Dumaria block.
“Illicit liquor is a hugely profitable industry where bootleggers pay no taxes and sell enormous quantities of their product. There is a need to restrict extensive abuse of the intoxicant in order to reduce untoward incidents in the society. Moreover, most of the hotels are not adhering to the rules while serving foreign liquor in lavish parties. Continuous raids must be carried against illegal distilleries especially in view of the forthcoming festive season later this year,” noted another official.
Notably, the steel city has a history of manufacturing of duplicate liquor as the district police had in the past busted several rackets of duplicate liquor manufacturing units, especially from the localities like Bagbera, Jugsalai and Kadma.
Kumar, when asked, said they have a facility for testing illicit country-made liquor, but do not have any such facility for testing the spurious IMFL. They have to send the samples of such liquor at a government chemist lab in Bihar for prosecuting the arrested persons.
- Protest for shifting B‚Äôpur liquor shop held 18 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Police arrest three cyber criminals 18 Jun 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Hercule Poirot: Popular fictional detective play 18 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- City enjoys several classical forms of arts 18 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Inbrief 18 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Bhopal
- New collection of fitness books launched at SVL 18 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Road clearing steps initiated: Overhead cables, electricity lines to be removed 18 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Sanskrit play staged by MP School of Drama 18 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Downpour breaks heat spell in capital 18 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM: Agri mandis in State integrated 18 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi