- EC acting like BJP's puppet, PM's 'roadshow' violation of model code: Congress
- Jaitley casts his vote, asks people to vote for development
- 2nd phase of Gujarat polls: 10% voting in 2 hours
- Dalit woman rape: Court awards death sentence to labourer
- Not undergone any makeover, BJP distorted my image: Rahul Gandhi
- Leaders pay homage to Parliament attack victims; Manmohan greets Modi
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case
- Govt shelves Dec 31 deadline on Aadhaar, PAN in financial dealings
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech
Ghaghidih jail keeps watch on inmates
The district administration has increased strict vigil over Ghaghidih jail after police seized SIM Cards, two pen drives, a mobile battery, two small scissors and a packet of marijuana powder during a recent search operation.
Sources went on to inform that to deal with the situation, jail administration has stepped up the vigilance and deployed additional security forces.
Meanwhile, the Inspector General (IG) Ashok Kumar Sharma, sensing the gravity of the incident has asked the East Singhbhum deputy commissioner Himani Pande and East Singhbhum senior superintendent of police Richard Lakra to submit a detailed report on the recovery and the content of the pen drives and the SIM cards.
During the raid the team frisked both remand prisoners and convicts lodged in separate blocks. They also checked more than 300 police personnel deployed in the complex for over three hours and the search operations were conducted using sniffer dogs and bomb detector.
“The recovery of SIM Cards, pen drives is a matter of grave concern and we have increased the security to deal with the situation at hand. The process to scan the pen drives, trace calls from SIM cards has also begun,” said a police official.
It may be mentioned that the three jamming devices — installed in the Central Jail in March 2011 as part of a Statewide project to beef up prison security — can only block 2G signals and, virtually, have no effect on third-generation mobile telecommunication or 3G services.
The police suspect that the inmates must be using their SIMs and pen drives. Ajit Shanker said that East Singhbhum senior superintendent of police Richard Lakra and city SP Karthik S have been asked to find out the call details from the recovered SIM cards and also the content of the pen drives. “This will help us to identify owner of the SIM cards and also know the reason for which the pen drives were being used,” said Shanker.
Jail Superintendent Olive Grace Kullu expressed ignorance on how these pen drives, SIM cards and mobile battery could be carried inside the prison “We have a three tier checking system for every prisoner and checking is carried out for every prisoner after their visits to the court for case hearing. We are investigating in to the ways through which these items were brought to the jail,” said the superintendent.
There have been frequent clashes between undertrial prisoners in the jail. Gangs owing allegiance to gangster Paramjeet Singh and Akhilesh Singh battled inside the jail on March 20, 2008. While Paramjeet was shot dead, another convict belonging to the rival group was lynched.
In the clash on Wednesday, around six undertrial prisoners including jailor Satyendra Choudhary sustained injuries.
Notably, the Ghaghidih Central Jail is spread over an area of 20 acres — set up on as large an area as Birsa Munda Central Jail in Hotwar, Ranchi. The home department had conducted a survey of the jail in June 2009 before the recommendation for fixing mobile jammers in the jail.
- NP University to go for skill development, placement drive to take place soon 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DDC sent team for Parhaiyyas 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- State Industry Director visits event site 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Arjun Munda tees off 16th Tata Open 2017 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Youth can change the fate of country: Prof Ramesh 14 Dec 2017 | RR Srivastava | in Ranchi
- Cops investigate ‚Äėlove jehad‚Äô case 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Ration denied due to non linkage of Aadhaar 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- XLRI students come in rescue of Anganwadi 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Bokaro Railway Station to get Wi-Fi facility 14 Dec 2017 | Ashis Sinha | in Ranchi
- Cops to use private vehicles for patrolling 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi