Guard batons empower rural women in State
Infamous for being a dominion of extremist outifts, it seems Raidih Block in Gumla has found its silver lining in Shridhar Gyan Sansthan, an institute meant exclusively for training girls to become professional security guards.
Located in Marda village of Gumla, this training institute offers its trainees from the fairer sex a one-month course to become Level-4 security guards (unarmed) according to National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF).
It has been a learning experience in all regards, exclaimed Sunita Bara, one of the trainees of the institution hailing from Simdega, another district of Jharkhand under the sway of left wing extremism.
“Since coming here, we have not only learnt the necessary traits of a security guard but lessons, like significance of discipline in one’s life, and more,” she said.
Shridhar Gyan Sansthan was first under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) to come up in extremism infested region of Jharkhand, claim Anirudha Singh, Director of Ranchi Security Pvt Ltd, the firm operating the institute.
“We had this facility in Ranchi but shifted to Marda one month ago. We have the establishment solely reserved for girls considering the environment prevalent in the area. Bringing boys here raises a possibility, however faint, that they will be influenced by the extremist ideology in a way or the other. We are positive that girls will not adopt such beliefs,” Singh said.
The curriculum followed during their training gets the credit for bringing about changes one cannot expect from a timid girl from the hinterlands of Jharkhand.
Not only does it teach them the requisite nuances for becoming a security guard, it makes them proficient in much more.
“Girls are taught about the duties a security guard is supposed to fulfil, but it does not end here.
They are instructed in the theoretical and practical aspects of disaster management, fire fighting, crowd control, using firearms, legal issues like Arms Act and filing a First Information Report (FIR), identifying police and army ranks and more,” Singh said
He further added, “The curriculum is in accordance to the National Occupational Standards and focuses on making our trainees proficient in terms of nuances as well as attitude required for a security guard’s job profile.
Along with this, the course is NSQF compliant too, so our trainees are well qualified to apply for jobs in foreign countries even.”
Every batch consists of 100 girls coming from rural pockets of the State, with modest educational qualifications and even less belief in themselves to begin with.
The training programme not only makes the girls capable, but confident too, something which comes from exposure and a sense of self-dependency.
“Interacting with girls from all over the State, confidence is another attribute we have garnered.
Now, despite living in a Naxalism affected area for a month, we are afraid of nothing,” Sunita said.
Stepping into a man’s world, the girls are looking towards shouldering the responsibilities borne by men.
I wish to support my family by working as a qualified security guard, added Sunita.
“There is a huge demand for security guards, especially female guards, in IT companies based in Bengaluru. I will be going to check the arrangements they have there for their employees.
I will send my girls once I am satisfied with the facilities they are offered,” said Singh.
- State of World Children Report 2017 released in Bhopal 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Election results indicate moral loss to BJP: Ajay Singh 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Tribal Festival at Bhopal Haat from today 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Urdu theatre festival at Bharat Bhavan today 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- OBC students in distress as scholarships cut down 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Little artists perform on stage 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 2K school children to participate in Balrang Festival 19 Dec 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Dehradun
- Hearing impaired kids participate in chess contest 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Yogendra Khanduri visits Balika Niketan 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Four drug peddlers arrested, contraband seized 19 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun