SC issues notices to EC, political parties
The Supreme Court of India on Friday issued notices to the Government of India, Election Commission of India and different political parties over the use of the Tri-colour in flags in respect to the National Flag. The apex court has sought an explanation from them as to why the petition filed at the court in this regard must not be considered.
State BJP spokesperson Amarpreet Singh Kale had filed the petition (62/2014) on January 6, 2014 at New Delhi. The apex court took cognizance of the writ and hearing was made today at the double bench of Justice BS Chouhan and Jasti Chelameswar. Citing ACT, 1950 (12 OF 1950) of Emblems that prevents the improper use of certain emblems and names for professional and commercial purposes, the petitioner had demanded a ban on the misuse of the Tri-colour.
Speaking over the phone from New Delhi, Kale's lawyer Ankur Mittal said that the Supreme Court has issued show cause notices to the Government of India, Election Commission of India, Congress Party, Trinamool Congress and NCP over the use of Tri-colour. The court has asked them to reply within three weeks. When contacted, Kale said that senior advocate BN Goverdhan had appeared on his behalf at the court's hearing. He said Congress Party, Trinamool Congress and NCP are using flags that confuse people with that of the national flag and they must do away with it. He welcomed the step taken by the apex court and said that he will continue to fight for the cause.
He demanded banning on the use by any political party of the three colours of the national flag, so that there could be no confusion among the people. “The Congress has exploited sentiments of common people and has emotionally blackmailed countrymen by using the Tricolour which has three colours in the same order as the National Flag,” he noted.
- One more farmer commits suicide 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Death of 17 patients at MY Hospital: Administration yet to explain cause 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- 10% reservation in jobs for statehood activists: PIL referred to three-judge Bench 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Missing case of 17-yr-old boy: HC pulls up police for inaction 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ICAI Bhopal branch holds Yoga Day 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Numbers of swamp deer dwindling: Experts 24 Jun 2017 | Radhika Nagrath | in Dehradun
- Burglars decamp with goods worth Rs 1L in Eintkhedi 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC seeks State’s reply on basic amenities in Govt schools by next week 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Five robbers arrested in 3 days, two bikes seized 24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- In brief 24 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi