- Not undergone any makeover, BJP distorted my image: Rahul Gandhi
- Leaders pay homage to Parliament attack victims; Manmohan greets Modi
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case
- Govt shelves Dec 31 deadline on Aadhaar, PAN in financial dealings
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech
Scrapped currency notes found
A year after demonetisation, scrapped currency notes of Rs 1000 and Rs 500 were found lying in a polythene bag near Sangam Vihar residential colony in Sonari on Thursday morning.
As the news spread about the abandoned bag with old currency, the police reached the spot and seized the bag. Officer-in-charge Sonari police station said that the notes amounted to Rs 19,39 lakh.
"As we got information we rushed to the spot. After the final count, we found 42 notes of Rs 1000 denomination and remaining notes were of Rs 500 denomination.
As per our information, someone dropped the old currency notes inside the boundary wall in the night. We are trying to find out the person involved in the act," said officer-in-charge Anuj Kumar.
Kumar said that they have also informed the matter to the Income Tax department for necessary action and those found guilty will be taken for task.
The old currency notes were found inside a boundary wall around a vacate plot of land near Sangam Vihar. A passer-by noticed four or five Rs 500 notes lying outside the boundary wall.
"The news spread like a wildfire and more passers-by gathered there. Then a private security guard posted at Sangam Vihar came and discovered the big polythene bag containing notes lying inside the boundary wall. As they were surprised to see notes, they immediately informed police," said a local resident.
He also noted that demonetisation was a complete failure as more than 86 per cent of the money had gone back to the system but no significant evidence of black money has been established.
Earlier in May this year, a sack of the banned currency notes of Rs 1000 and Rs 500 denominations were found along the marine drive in Sonari.
- CM unveils many development projects 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Normal life disrupted in state following snowfall 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Cops terrorised us to leave village: Sohan Lal 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Will revive Naini Lake at any cost: CS 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Govt demands Rs 2761 cr as 2nd Supplementary 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Dalits bodies stage sit-in on missing dalit boy 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Kissing row rocks House, BJP wants debate 14 Dec 2017 | SANTOSH NARAYAN | in Ranchi
- Nursery Act drafted on CM‚Äôs order 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Training on water test held 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- SBI Life to build B‚Äôswar school lavatories 14 Dec 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar