- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
state government taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries
Under pressure from agitating farmers, the state government has started taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries resulting in improved payment of outstanding cane arrears.
According to sources in cane development department (CDD), the general manager of Mawana sugar mill at Meerut, with huge outstanding amount, has been sent to jail under essential commodities Act. The Muzaffar Nagar district magistrate has appointed controller in two private sugar mills at Budhana and Titawi for monitoring the stock of manufactured sugar and payment of cane arrears on regular basis.
Seeing strict measures being taken by state administration the private sugar mills has stepped efforts aimed making payment of outstanding cane arrears. Earlier UP Sugar Mill Association (UPSMA) office bearers, on pretext of losses incurred due to hike in cane price, were pleading the chief minister not to pressurise them for payment of arrears but now situation has seemingly changed visible in data released by CDD on Thursday.
With promising to clear dues within fortnight, the sugar mills so far has made 70.32 percent of total outstanding cane arrears which amounts Rs 14578 crore, said, Bhupendar Singh Bisht, the public relation officer of CDD.
In last few days the sugar mills paid Rs 1400 crore to farmers while the cane commissioner, Kamran Rizwi had promised Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) delegation to make sugar mills to pay Rs 1000 within in a week. Notably following gherao of CDD headquarters by BKU workers last week the state administration started mounting pressure on sugar mills for the payment.
Meanwhile on civil services day, April 21 the CDD is being awarded with 'pradhanmantri award' for successful implementation of cane information system in UP. Under this system farmers are given all information, from date of cane supply to payment of arrears, through SMS service in advance, said the CDD public relation officer on Thursday.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Focus on groundwater recharge, solar irrigation 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Stay prepared for possible floods: CM tells depts 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- State mulling to create Dist Commando Force 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Meet on chit fund firms-actors nexus tomorrow 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lord’s dignity should be given top priority: Manch 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Explore newer avenues: students told 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- No place for undisciplined leaders in BJD: Rout 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Law Min politicising lawyers’ bodies: Bar Council chief 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Naveen must punish party rogues and never lose secular spirit 30 Jun 2016 | BISWARAJ PATNAIK | in Bhubaneswar
- How to prevent malnutrition in 1K days of birth 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
26 Jun 2016 | Ananya Borgohain and Shraddha Singh
When Delhi University announces its first cut-off list for undergraduate courses, predictably thousands of students will be rejected. Where do they go now when the frontiers they aspire for a successful future lead them to a dead end, ask ANANYA BORGOHAIN and SHRADDHA SINGH While Delhi University (DU) will release its first cut-off list for undergraduate courses on June 30, its St Stephen’s College had announced its own list last week...
Never has any leader made such a historic blunder. If Jawaharlalji had not declared a ceasefire at that time, the Kashmir issue would not have existed.
Actor Govinda is the ultimate Bollywood dancer. I can't see anyone beyond him. I can see him dancing for hours.
It is actually India which is shying away as it knows that it has to discuss Kashmir and other issues on the dialogue table.