state government taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries
Under pressure from agitating farmers, the state government has started taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries resulting in improved payment of outstanding cane arrears.
According to sources in cane development department (CDD), the general manager of Mawana sugar mill at Meerut, with huge outstanding amount, has been sent to jail under essential commodities Act. The Muzaffar Nagar district magistrate has appointed controller in two private sugar mills at Budhana and Titawi for monitoring the stock of manufactured sugar and payment of cane arrears on regular basis.
Seeing strict measures being taken by state administration the private sugar mills has stepped efforts aimed making payment of outstanding cane arrears. Earlier UP Sugar Mill Association (UPSMA) office bearers, on pretext of losses incurred due to hike in cane price, were pleading the chief minister not to pressurise them for payment of arrears but now situation has seemingly changed visible in data released by CDD on Thursday.
With promising to clear dues within fortnight, the sugar mills so far has made 70.32 percent of total outstanding cane arrears which amounts Rs 14578 crore, said, Bhupendar Singh Bisht, the public relation officer of CDD.
In last few days the sugar mills paid Rs 1400 crore to farmers while the cane commissioner, Kamran Rizwi had promised Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) delegation to make sugar mills to pay Rs 1000 within in a week. Notably following gherao of CDD headquarters by BKU workers last week the state administration started mounting pressure on sugar mills for the payment.
Meanwhile on civil services day, April 21 the CDD is being awarded with 'pradhanmantri award' for successful implementation of cane information system in UP. Under this system farmers are given all information, from date of cane supply to payment of arrears, through SMS service in advance, said the CDD public relation officer on Thursday.
- Don‚Äôt overlook interests of public, Guv to legislators 23 Nov 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | in Ranchi
- 5-yr jail, Rs 4 lakh fine for ex-CS Sajal Chakraborty 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lamhe-2017 to give chance to show talent 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Gov focus on curbing malnutrition remarkable: Forsyth 23 Nov 2017 | PRANAV PRATYUSH | in Ranchi
- Tata trusts on Mission 2020 for rural entrepreneurship 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Traffic police begin exercise to ease city arteries 23 Nov 2017 | PRAGYAPALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Working on secret plans: JPCC chief 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Entrepreneurship promotion, key to positive development: Experts 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Afghan envoy meets Punjab CM 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Capt to take up GST issue with PM, FM 23 Nov 2017 | Monika Malik | in Chandigarh