- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
state government taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries
Under pressure from agitating farmers, the state government has started taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries resulting in improved payment of outstanding cane arrears.
According to sources in cane development department (CDD), the general manager of Mawana sugar mill at Meerut, with huge outstanding amount, has been sent to jail under essential commodities Act. The Muzaffar Nagar district magistrate has appointed controller in two private sugar mills at Budhana and Titawi for monitoring the stock of manufactured sugar and payment of cane arrears on regular basis.
Seeing strict measures being taken by state administration the private sugar mills has stepped efforts aimed making payment of outstanding cane arrears. Earlier UP Sugar Mill Association (UPSMA) office bearers, on pretext of losses incurred due to hike in cane price, were pleading the chief minister not to pressurise them for payment of arrears but now situation has seemingly changed visible in data released by CDD on Thursday.
With promising to clear dues within fortnight, the sugar mills so far has made 70.32 percent of total outstanding cane arrears which amounts Rs 14578 crore, said, Bhupendar Singh Bisht, the public relation officer of CDD.
In last few days the sugar mills paid Rs 1400 crore to farmers while the cane commissioner, Kamran Rizwi had promised Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) delegation to make sugar mills to pay Rs 1000 within in a week. Notably following gherao of CDD headquarters by BKU workers last week the state administration started mounting pressure on sugar mills for the payment.
Meanwhile on civil services day, April 21 the CDD is being awarded with 'pradhanmantri award' for successful implementation of cane information system in UP. Under this system farmers are given all information, from date of cane supply to payment of arrears, through SMS service in advance, said the CDD public relation officer on Thursday.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Terrorism new threat to Odisha security 10 Feb 2016 | SRIKANTA K TRIPATHY | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Efforts on to make Rama Devi No1 university’ 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘PM misled nation on refinery facts’ 10 Feb 2016 | pns | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Tech innovations needed for poverty reduction’ 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Mega farmers’ convention in city on Feb 18 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Rs143.34-crore Amrut projects for 9 cities 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Inbrief 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- A study of poster war expenses is a social necessity 10 Feb 2016 | Jayant Das | in Bhubaneswar
- Handicraft artisans in dire straits in State 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Light and sound show at Sun Temple soon 10 Feb 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
07 Feb 2016 | Rinku Ghosh
Photography legend Steve McCurry may be known for his iconic Afghan girl, but over the course of his long career, he has kept coming back to India, documenting our ever-evolving world. And though he may not have panned conflict-zone drama, he has a soul connect with each photograph of his India series...
Since Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi was LeT head, hence all orders (on 26/11 Mumbai strike) would have logically come from him.
It's a matter of time. Eventually, all talent will rise to the top. It's a matter of getting a new way of thinking.
From the time of Jawaharlal Nehru, economic policies adopted by Congress failed to solve the problems of the poor and farmers.