state government taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries
Under pressure from agitating farmers, the state government has started taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries resulting in improved payment of outstanding cane arrears.
According to sources in cane development department (CDD), the general manager of Mawana sugar mill at Meerut, with huge outstanding amount, has been sent to jail under essential commodities Act. The Muzaffar Nagar district magistrate has appointed controller in two private sugar mills at Budhana and Titawi for monitoring the stock of manufactured sugar and payment of cane arrears on regular basis.
Seeing strict measures being taken by state administration the private sugar mills has stepped efforts aimed making payment of outstanding cane arrears. Earlier UP Sugar Mill Association (UPSMA) office bearers, on pretext of losses incurred due to hike in cane price, were pleading the chief minister not to pressurise them for payment of arrears but now situation has seemingly changed visible in data released by CDD on Thursday.
With promising to clear dues within fortnight, the sugar mills so far has made 70.32 percent of total outstanding cane arrears which amounts Rs 14578 crore, said, Bhupendar Singh Bisht, the public relation officer of CDD.
In last few days the sugar mills paid Rs 1400 crore to farmers while the cane commissioner, Kamran Rizwi had promised Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) delegation to make sugar mills to pay Rs 1000 within in a week. Notably following gherao of CDD headquarters by BKU workers last week the state administration started mounting pressure on sugar mills for the payment.
Meanwhile on civil services day, April 21 the CDD is being awarded with 'pradhanmantri award' for successful implementation of cane information system in UP. Under this system farmers are given all information, from date of cane supply to payment of arrears, through SMS service in advance, said the CDD public relation officer on Thursday.
- Azam Khan demands nationwide ban on cow slaughter 28 Mar 2017 | pns | in Lucknow
- Ram Govind Chaudhary to be leader of opposition in 17th UP Assembly 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Crackdown only against illegal slaughter houses says State Govt 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- State law commission justice Ravindra Singh resigns 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- UP CM seeks detail report on Gomti Riverfront project 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM orders CB probe; SIT formed 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Rs12,946-cr commercial tax by February-end 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- There’s need of a Moral University that Govt should support 28 Mar 2017 | Sugyan Choudhury | in Bhubaneswar
- Orphanage kids join Ekamra Walks, visit temples 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Agro productions decline in State 28 Mar 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar