- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
state government taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries
Under pressure from agitating farmers, the state government has started taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries resulting in improved payment of outstanding cane arrears.
According to sources in cane development department (CDD), the general manager of Mawana sugar mill at Meerut, with huge outstanding amount, has been sent to jail under essential commodities Act. The Muzaffar Nagar district magistrate has appointed controller in two private sugar mills at Budhana and Titawi for monitoring the stock of manufactured sugar and payment of cane arrears on regular basis.
Seeing strict measures being taken by state administration the private sugar mills has stepped efforts aimed making payment of outstanding cane arrears. Earlier UP Sugar Mill Association (UPSMA) office bearers, on pretext of losses incurred due to hike in cane price, were pleading the chief minister not to pressurise them for payment of arrears but now situation has seemingly changed visible in data released by CDD on Thursday.
With promising to clear dues within fortnight, the sugar mills so far has made 70.32 percent of total outstanding cane arrears which amounts Rs 14578 crore, said, Bhupendar Singh Bisht, the public relation officer of CDD.
In last few days the sugar mills paid Rs 1400 crore to farmers while the cane commissioner, Kamran Rizwi had promised Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) delegation to make sugar mills to pay Rs 1000 within in a week. Notably following gherao of CDD headquarters by BKU workers last week the state administration started mounting pressure on sugar mills for the payment.
Meanwhile on civil services day, April 21 the CDD is being awarded with 'pradhanmantri award' for successful implementation of cane information system in UP. Under this system farmers are given all information, from date of cane supply to payment of arrears, through SMS service in advance, said the CDD public relation officer on Thursday.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- One dead in panchayat pre-poll violence 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- BJP goes all out for success of PM’s Saharanpur rally 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Notification for RS, Council polls issued 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Lucknow set to be a smart(er) city 25 May 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- MSY visits Neeraj at RML Hosp 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Irani to launch Education portal 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Godman arrested for sexual exploitation 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Mishra writes Ranjan to order probe into `Salary Sharing Scam’ 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- State Govt reshuffles 26 Bureaucrats 25 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Mega PWS projects still hangs in balance 25 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
22 May 2016 | Rajib Chowdhury
The BJP's historic win in Assam, signalling a major political shift in the region, is a crucial step in concretising Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision for the party's North East outreach May 19 ushered in a new dawn in Assam — a dawn that held the promise of change and hope for a better future, or as some would say, achche din. Expanding its political clout beyond the traditional bastion and...
We respect Pakistan's territorial integrity. But we will carry out strikes to remove terrorists directing attacks against US.
Time was when we shot in Kashmir every year. Now (I am) going to be shooting there for the first time after 1984.
We will ensure that the Yamuna river is cleaned on a war footing and Punjab's Seechewal model is implemented in Delhi.