- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
state government taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries
Under pressure from agitating farmers, the state government has started taking strict action against private sugar mills functionaries resulting in improved payment of outstanding cane arrears.
According to sources in cane development department (CDD), the general manager of Mawana sugar mill at Meerut, with huge outstanding amount, has been sent to jail under essential commodities Act. The Muzaffar Nagar district magistrate has appointed controller in two private sugar mills at Budhana and Titawi for monitoring the stock of manufactured sugar and payment of cane arrears on regular basis.
Seeing strict measures being taken by state administration the private sugar mills has stepped efforts aimed making payment of outstanding cane arrears. Earlier UP Sugar Mill Association (UPSMA) office bearers, on pretext of losses incurred due to hike in cane price, were pleading the chief minister not to pressurise them for payment of arrears but now situation has seemingly changed visible in data released by CDD on Thursday.
With promising to clear dues within fortnight, the sugar mills so far has made 70.32 percent of total outstanding cane arrears which amounts Rs 14578 crore, said, Bhupendar Singh Bisht, the public relation officer of CDD.
In last few days the sugar mills paid Rs 1400 crore to farmers while the cane commissioner, Kamran Rizwi had promised Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) delegation to make sugar mills to pay Rs 1000 within in a week. Notably following gherao of CDD headquarters by BKU workers last week the state administration started mounting pressure on sugar mills for the payment.
Meanwhile on civil services day, April 21 the CDD is being awarded with 'pradhanmantri award' for successful implementation of cane information system in UP. Under this system farmers are given all information, from date of cane supply to payment of arrears, through SMS service in advance, said the CDD public relation officer on Thursday.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Akhilesh becomes stronger than earlier despite Family feud 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Prajapati may be reinducted in cabinet 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Akhilesh praises for Media 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Focus on prevention of terror attacks says Maya 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Mishra concerned over decline in Brahmin MPs in Lok Sabha 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Rahul to start Kisan yatra’s second leg from Sitapur on Monday 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Cameras on highways to catch speeding motorists 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong plans visiting every house against BJD, BJP 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Weeklyroundups 26 Sep 2016 | BAIDYANATH MISHRA | in Bhubaneswar
- AAP claims to emerge alternative in Odisha 26 Sep 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
The Uri attack could be a reaction to atrocities in Kashmir. Relatives of those killed and blinded were hurt and outraged.
I think as you get older, you really get to the point where you just don't care anymore what people think.
We have long urged India and Pakistan to find ways to resolve their differences, not through violence, but through diplomacy. White House