- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
State needs awareness on POCSO Act
To make the officials of state police, social welfare department, child welfare committee, and NGOs aware about the new Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act 2012, which ensures justice for minor victims of sexual abuse, and after case proceedings held at special court, a state level workshop was organized by State Commission for Child Rights on Monday.
The POCSO Act, 2012, describes sexual offence in a gender neutral manner and provides for friendly and sensitive treatment of children who face sexual abuse. “Providing safe environment to the children is the responsibility of all citizens of the country,” said Rajeev Ranjan Traffic SP of Ranchi who is also having additional charge of City SP.
He said, “The need of the hour is creating more awareness among the state police to use the new law in every case of child abuse, it has been found that many police officials are unaware about this act. Moreover few cops who knew about it also use this act under the pressure of someone, in order to implement this act efficiently across the state, I urge the common people to provide their equal participation.”
“If this Act is implemented properly across the state this it will strength the anti-trafficking unit of the Jharkhand. It is a very sensitive topic and it should be dealt properly,” he further added.
“Handling cases under it requires special training inputs for the police. The child’s statement has to be recorded at his or her residence or place of choice preferably by a female police officer of or above the rank of sub-inspector who should not be in police uniform. The child must not come in contact with the accused during investigations,” said Director General of Police (DGP) Rajeev Ranjan.
“It came into force on November 14, 2012 and provides for minimum punishment for penetrative sexual assault and aggravated penetrative sexual assault on a child. Offences using a child for pornographic purposes have also been dealt with,” he added. From past few years the media is buzz with news of child trafficking, child labor, minor sexual assault. In relation to this Mridula Sinha, Principal Secretary of Social Welfare, Women and Child development said, “If this Act will be implemented effectively then the ratio of such cases will come down to a markable extent.
ADGP CID, KS Meena said, “We are keeping a close check on the placement agencies of domestic helpers in Delhi are running illegally which needs to be close down moreover apart from officials it is important to aware the common people about this Act then only one can witness a remarkable change in the socity.”
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Smart classrooms for 25 Govt schools 30 Nov 2015 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Community policing programme held for youth 30 Nov 2015 | PNS | in Raipur
- 28 Raipur villages to get clean, safe drinking water 30 Nov 2015 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- NTPC to seek insurance cover for transformer package 30 Nov 2015 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- PCC chief assures victory of party in Panchayat polls 30 Nov 2015 | PNS | in Dehradun
- PhD holders for guest postings like Delhi, Haryana 30 Nov 2015 | Pioneer News Service | in Dehradun
- Theft on Srinagar-Bughani road; jewellery worth about `3L seized 30 Nov 2015 | GP Semwal | in Dehradun
- Pauri dist SP orders to solve pending crime cases soon 30 Nov 2015 | GP Semwal | in Dehradun
- Various competitions held on second day of Utsav-15 30 Nov 2015 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Govt to preserve ancient manuscripts, scriptures 30 Nov 2015 | PNS | in Dehradun
29 Nov 2015 | Kushan Mitra
Earlier in November, the Presidents of People’s Republic of China and Republic of China shook hands in Singapore — the first meeting of the protagonists of the Chinese Civil War in 66 years. The Republic of China, or Taiwan as most people know the country, is on the verge of a new election, and is also considering where its place is in the world...
I don't know why there is so much hype about the pitch. People sitting in other countries are talking of Indian pitches.
Smita Patil was a chameleon. She could be a part of the story without your thinking about it.
Europe cannot accept all the refugees coming from Syria. That's why we need a diplomatic, military and political solution.