- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
State needs awareness on POCSO Act
To make the officials of state police, social welfare department, child welfare committee, and NGOs aware about the new Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act 2012, which ensures justice for minor victims of sexual abuse, and after case proceedings held at special court, a state level workshop was organized by State Commission for Child Rights on Monday.
The POCSO Act, 2012, describes sexual offence in a gender neutral manner and provides for friendly and sensitive treatment of children who face sexual abuse. “Providing safe environment to the children is the responsibility of all citizens of the country,” said Rajeev Ranjan Traffic SP of Ranchi who is also having additional charge of City SP.
He said, “The need of the hour is creating more awareness among the state police to use the new law in every case of child abuse, it has been found that many police officials are unaware about this act. Moreover few cops who knew about it also use this act under the pressure of someone, in order to implement this act efficiently across the state, I urge the common people to provide their equal participation.”
“If this Act is implemented properly across the state this it will strength the anti-trafficking unit of the Jharkhand. It is a very sensitive topic and it should be dealt properly,” he further added.
“Handling cases under it requires special training inputs for the police. The child’s statement has to be recorded at his or her residence or place of choice preferably by a female police officer of or above the rank of sub-inspector who should not be in police uniform. The child must not come in contact with the accused during investigations,” said Director General of Police (DGP) Rajeev Ranjan.
“It came into force on November 14, 2012 and provides for minimum punishment for penetrative sexual assault and aggravated penetrative sexual assault on a child. Offences using a child for pornographic purposes have also been dealt with,” he added. From past few years the media is buzz with news of child trafficking, child labor, minor sexual assault. In relation to this Mridula Sinha, Principal Secretary of Social Welfare, Women and Child development said, “If this Act will be implemented effectively then the ratio of such cases will come down to a markable extent.
ADGP CID, KS Meena said, “We are keeping a close check on the placement agencies of domestic helpers in Delhi are running illegally which needs to be close down moreover apart from officials it is important to aware the common people about this Act then only one can witness a remarkable change in the socity.”
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Stop promoting ‘donkeys of Gujrat’ appeals CM 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Campaigning for forth phase of UP polls ends today 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Political conspiracy to tarnish his image says Prajapati on rape charges 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- CM openly supporting criminals, rapists: Pathak 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- People will give befitting reply to ‘political terrorism’: Rajendra Chaudhaury 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- IF elected BJP will expedite construction of Ram Temple: Katiyar 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- After three phases of UP polls, it is clear BJP will form Govt: Javedkar 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- PM polarizing polls on communal lines: Congress 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Lucknow
- BJP seeks judicial probe into poll code violation 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Re-poll at Athagarh booths demanded 21 Feb 2017 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
19 Feb 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
What will happen to the State politics after the weakening of the AIADMK? There is a positive consolidation of the DMK under the leadership of Stalin, which should be taken into consideration. One can only wait and watch, writes Kumar Chellappan It may not be out of place to write a requiem for a political entity called the AIADMK, which has been admitted to the critical care unit and connected...
In the case of both nations, India and Afghanistan, cross-border terrorism is originating from Pakistan which is also patronising it.
I have said goodbye to international cricket. I have played with seriousness and in a professional way for my country.
All of us in America have generally paid for our gas and oil all along. We're not in Iraq to seize anybody's oil or gas.