- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
‘Tornado' pulls off Ranchi airport roof
In an unprecedented event witnessed at the Birsa Munda Airport on Monday, a tornado like phenomenon tore apart a section of the roof top of the newly built airport terminal. According to the eyewitnesses, the roof top was seen flying in the air which ultimately dashed at the public place after about 20 minutes. No one was reported to be injured in the incident.
"The roof -top of the newly built terminal was taken away by the atmospheric formation. No one has been injured," said Airport Director Raju Raghvendra Kumar. According to Kumar, a funnel type structure which was seen whirling in the air over the new terminal building, sucked the roof top of around 30 by 12 meters dimension. As it was localized to the Airport only, less damage was caused, he said.
Sources, however, revealed that a major accident was averted as it happened at the SHA 4. Passengers of Go Airways were waiting at the SHA of Runway 1 while the roof top of SHA 4 was sucked by the 'little' tornado. "Havoc was created at the airport for more than 25 minutes. The debris finally dashed at the public place which was vacant at that time," said an eyewitness.
"It was a unique experience where several things like water particles, cotton like pieces, polythene, littered packets along with the roof top was seen moving in the air several feet above the ground for more than 25 minutes," he added.
"The intensity of the tornado was so high that even the trolleys were also seen moving from their places with the air," he added. One employee of Jet Airways is said to be injured in the incident who was allowed to go home after first aide.
The meteorological experts however, called it a common phenomenon for Jharkhand though; the intensity was a bit high this time. "It was a result of funnel shaped Cumlo-Nimbus cloud situation in the air rotating anti-clockwise drafting the air up having low pressure at the centre," said agro-met advisor of Birsa Agricultural University A. Wadood.
"It was actually a tornado type formation having a low intensity where up-swelling of air occurs sucking everything which comes on its way," added Wadood. Wadood said that the as the impact was very low and the area of the structure was restricted to not more than 100-200 meters, the damage caused was also very less. Such incident had happened in Purnia in Bihar some 2 years back, which was understood as the actual form of tornado.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- CM briefs Ram Naik on political situation in state 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Shivpal expels Akhilesh’s loyalist Pawan Pandey 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Shivpal vacates his official residence 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Mayawati denies charges of PM 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- DGP Zaveed Ahmed asks juniors to celebrate diwali with orphans, senior citizens 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Strong reason pushed me to quit: Rita Bahuguna Joshi 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Azam Khan plays as messiah for Muslims 27 Oct 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Jungle Safari having unique ‘Mgt Zone’ for wildlife conservation 27 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Lok Adalats to be held in C’garh from Nov 12 27 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- 139 sand mines in C’garh awaiting environmental clearance 27 Oct 2016 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
23 Oct 2016 | Rajesh Singh
Despite wide-ranging backing and compelling arguments, expansion of the United Nations Security Council remains in limbo. Part of the reason is the complex mechanism in place to bring about the change, explains RAJESH SINGH ...
My family and the Samajwadi Party are united. All workers are united. There are some conspirators who do not have any mass base.
Trump suffers from very poor self-esteem. He has no insight, no intuition, no creativity, no capacity to offer hope.
Film-makers of the past were creative people and not businessmen. That is why they could make the kind of cinema they did.