- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
‘Tornado' pulls off Ranchi airport roof
In an unprecedented event witnessed at the Birsa Munda Airport on Monday, a tornado like phenomenon tore apart a section of the roof top of the newly built airport terminal. According to the eyewitnesses, the roof top was seen flying in the air which ultimately dashed at the public place after about 20 minutes. No one was reported to be injured in the incident.
"The roof -top of the newly built terminal was taken away by the atmospheric formation. No one has been injured," said Airport Director Raju Raghvendra Kumar. According to Kumar, a funnel type structure which was seen whirling in the air over the new terminal building, sucked the roof top of around 30 by 12 meters dimension. As it was localized to the Airport only, less damage was caused, he said.
Sources, however, revealed that a major accident was averted as it happened at the SHA 4. Passengers of Go Airways were waiting at the SHA of Runway 1 while the roof top of SHA 4 was sucked by the 'little' tornado. "Havoc was created at the airport for more than 25 minutes. The debris finally dashed at the public place which was vacant at that time," said an eyewitness.
"It was a unique experience where several things like water particles, cotton like pieces, polythene, littered packets along with the roof top was seen moving in the air several feet above the ground for more than 25 minutes," he added.
"The intensity of the tornado was so high that even the trolleys were also seen moving from their places with the air," he added. One employee of Jet Airways is said to be injured in the incident who was allowed to go home after first aide.
The meteorological experts however, called it a common phenomenon for Jharkhand though; the intensity was a bit high this time. "It was a result of funnel shaped Cumlo-Nimbus cloud situation in the air rotating anti-clockwise drafting the air up having low pressure at the centre," said agro-met advisor of Birsa Agricultural University A. Wadood.
"It was actually a tornado type formation having a low intensity where up-swelling of air occurs sucking everything which comes on its way," added Wadood. Wadood said that the as the impact was very low and the area of the structure was restricted to not more than 100-200 meters, the damage caused was also very less. Such incident had happened in Purnia in Bihar some 2 years back, which was understood as the actual form of tornado.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- Focus on groundwater recharge, solar irrigation 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Stay prepared for possible floods: CM tells depts 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- State mulling to create Dist Commando Force 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Meet on chit fund firms-actors nexus tomorrow 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lord’s dignity should be given top priority: Manch 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Explore newer avenues: students told 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- No place for undisciplined leaders in BJD: Rout 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Law Min politicising lawyers’ bodies: Bar Council chief 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Naveen must punish party rogues and never lose secular spirit 30 Jun 2016 | BISWARAJ PATNAIK | in Bhubaneswar
- How to prevent malnutrition in 1K days of birth 30 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
26 Jun 2016 | Ananya Borgohain and Shraddha Singh
When Delhi University announces its first cut-off list for undergraduate courses, predictably thousands of students will be rejected. Where do they go now when the frontiers they aspire for a successful future lead them to a dead end, ask ANANYA BORGOHAIN and SHRADDHA SINGH While Delhi University (DU) will release its first cut-off list for undergraduate courses on June 30, its St Stephen’s College had announced its own list last week...
Never has any leader made such a historic blunder. If Jawaharlalji had not declared a ceasefire at that time, the Kashmir issue would not have existed.
Actor Govinda is the ultimate Bollywood dancer. I can't see anyone beyond him. I can see him dancing for hours.
It is actually India which is shying away as it knows that it has to discuss Kashmir and other issues on the dialogue table.