- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
‘Tornado' pulls off Ranchi airport roof
In an unprecedented event witnessed at the Birsa Munda Airport on Monday, a tornado like phenomenon tore apart a section of the roof top of the newly built airport terminal. According to the eyewitnesses, the roof top was seen flying in the air which ultimately dashed at the public place after about 20 minutes. No one was reported to be injured in the incident.
"The roof -top of the newly built terminal was taken away by the atmospheric formation. No one has been injured," said Airport Director Raju Raghvendra Kumar. According to Kumar, a funnel type structure which was seen whirling in the air over the new terminal building, sucked the roof top of around 30 by 12 meters dimension. As it was localized to the Airport only, less damage was caused, he said.
Sources, however, revealed that a major accident was averted as it happened at the SHA 4. Passengers of Go Airways were waiting at the SHA of Runway 1 while the roof top of SHA 4 was sucked by the 'little' tornado. "Havoc was created at the airport for more than 25 minutes. The debris finally dashed at the public place which was vacant at that time," said an eyewitness.
"It was a unique experience where several things like water particles, cotton like pieces, polythene, littered packets along with the roof top was seen moving in the air several feet above the ground for more than 25 minutes," he added.
"The intensity of the tornado was so high that even the trolleys were also seen moving from their places with the air," he added. One employee of Jet Airways is said to be injured in the incident who was allowed to go home after first aide.
The meteorological experts however, called it a common phenomenon for Jharkhand though; the intensity was a bit high this time. "It was a result of funnel shaped Cumlo-Nimbus cloud situation in the air rotating anti-clockwise drafting the air up having low pressure at the centre," said agro-met advisor of Birsa Agricultural University A. Wadood.
"It was actually a tornado type formation having a low intensity where up-swelling of air occurs sucking everything which comes on its way," added Wadood. Wadood said that the as the impact was very low and the area of the structure was restricted to not more than 100-200 meters, the damage caused was also very less. Such incident had happened in Purnia in Bihar some 2 years back, which was understood as the actual form of tornado.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- UP Govt turns down water-train proposal 06 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Provide extended help for bundelkhand people: Maurya 06 May 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Autopsy report out for NRI family murder case 06 May 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Miscreants strikes terror in Mathura 06 May 2016 | PNS | in Lucknow
- Verma likely to be SP candidate for RS in next July 06 May 2016 | Virendra Nath Bhatt | in Lucknow
- Raj bhawan refers controversial bills to Prez 06 May 2016 | Pioneer News Service | in Lucknow
- Four held for violence in city 06 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 1,917 schools run with single teacher in State 06 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Dharmendra bats for Maritime College 06 May 2016 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 13 rly stations of Punjab selected for revamp 06 May 2016 | Monika Malik | in Chandigarh
01 May 2016 | Kushan Mitra
The red soil in the hills that surround the tiny village of Lanjigarh in Kalahandi district, Odisha, is full of bauxite — the source material for aluminium used in everything from aircraft to beer cans. Yet, mining in Niyamgiri hills has been scuppered due to concerns over the welfare of tribals residing there...
My ministry is doing everything practically possible to make air travel of MPs comfortable. But MPs are not super citizens.
Everyone speaks to me in Bengali. I show off my Bengali wherever I can. When I am in Kolkata, I don’t miss home that much.
It frightens me that there is a sign among us (in Israel), in 2016, of the ghastly trends that took place in Europe (during the Holocaust).