- State Editions
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- Cover Story
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
‘Tornado' pulls off Ranchi airport roof
In an unprecedented event witnessed at the Birsa Munda Airport on Monday, a tornado like phenomenon tore apart a section of the roof top of the newly built airport terminal. According to the eyewitnesses, the roof top was seen flying in the air which ultimately dashed at the public place after about 20 minutes. No one was reported to be injured in the incident.
"The roof -top of the newly built terminal was taken away by the atmospheric formation. No one has been injured," said Airport Director Raju Raghvendra Kumar. According to Kumar, a funnel type structure which was seen whirling in the air over the new terminal building, sucked the roof top of around 30 by 12 meters dimension. As it was localized to the Airport only, less damage was caused, he said.
Sources, however, revealed that a major accident was averted as it happened at the SHA 4. Passengers of Go Airways were waiting at the SHA of Runway 1 while the roof top of SHA 4 was sucked by the 'little' tornado. "Havoc was created at the airport for more than 25 minutes. The debris finally dashed at the public place which was vacant at that time," said an eyewitness.
"It was a unique experience where several things like water particles, cotton like pieces, polythene, littered packets along with the roof top was seen moving in the air several feet above the ground for more than 25 minutes," he added.
"The intensity of the tornado was so high that even the trolleys were also seen moving from their places with the air," he added. One employee of Jet Airways is said to be injured in the incident who was allowed to go home after first aide.
The meteorological experts however, called it a common phenomenon for Jharkhand though; the intensity was a bit high this time. "It was a result of funnel shaped Cumlo-Nimbus cloud situation in the air rotating anti-clockwise drafting the air up having low pressure at the centre," said agro-met advisor of Birsa Agricultural University A. Wadood.
"It was actually a tornado type formation having a low intensity where up-swelling of air occurs sucking everything which comes on its way," added Wadood. Wadood said that the as the impact was very low and the area of the structure was restricted to not more than 100-200 meters, the damage caused was also very less. Such incident had happened in Purnia in Bihar some 2 years back, which was understood as the actual form of tornado.
MORE State Editions NEWS
- No salary for 3 months, DMC docs threaten stir 01 Jun 2016 | Gajendra Singh Negi | in Dehradun
- Workshop marks World Tobacco Day at DMC 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- New DGP takes a road different from his predecessors 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- ‘Scientists should make 2 models every yr’ 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Report on Panchayati Raj institutions submitted 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Summer camp for Army personnels’ children ends 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- CS led meeting on employment generation held at Secretariat 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Ex-MP Tamta files papers for next RS poll 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Haridwar Army officer dies in Maharashtra fire incident 01 Jun 2016 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- Eight farmer groups pay off loan, are now proud apple orchard owners 01 Jun 2016 | PNS | in Dehradun
If authorities do not act against the comedian who has disrespected our national icons, the MNS will deal with him.
I like Salman Khan's company; I hope he likes mine too. If Sultan had somebody else, I wouldn't have done it.
Samajwadi Party's attempt to form an alliance with the RLD shows that it is not confident of coming to power again in Uttar Pradesh.