- Yogi unveils booklet on achievements; promises development
- No discussion on H-1B during Modi-Trump meeting
- SC refuses interim order agst Centre's notification on Aadhaar
- China accuses Indian troops of 'crossing boundary' in Sikkim section
- India, US to cooperate against JeM, LeT; ask Pak to rein in terror groups
- With hugs and praise, Modi and Trump strike rapport
‘Tornado' pulls off Ranchi airport roof
In an unprecedented event witnessed at the Birsa Munda Airport on Monday, a tornado like phenomenon tore apart a section of the roof top of the newly built airport terminal. According to the eyewitnesses, the roof top was seen flying in the air which ultimately dashed at the public place after about 20 minutes. No one was reported to be injured in the incident.
"The roof -top of the newly built terminal was taken away by the atmospheric formation. No one has been injured," said Airport Director Raju Raghvendra Kumar. According to Kumar, a funnel type structure which was seen whirling in the air over the new terminal building, sucked the roof top of around 30 by 12 meters dimension. As it was localized to the Airport only, less damage was caused, he said.
Sources, however, revealed that a major accident was averted as it happened at the SHA 4. Passengers of Go Airways were waiting at the SHA of Runway 1 while the roof top of SHA 4 was sucked by the 'little' tornado. "Havoc was created at the airport for more than 25 minutes. The debris finally dashed at the public place which was vacant at that time," said an eyewitness.
"It was a unique experience where several things like water particles, cotton like pieces, polythene, littered packets along with the roof top was seen moving in the air several feet above the ground for more than 25 minutes," he added.
"The intensity of the tornado was so high that even the trolleys were also seen moving from their places with the air," he added. One employee of Jet Airways is said to be injured in the incident who was allowed to go home after first aide.
The meteorological experts however, called it a common phenomenon for Jharkhand though; the intensity was a bit high this time. "It was a result of funnel shaped Cumlo-Nimbus cloud situation in the air rotating anti-clockwise drafting the air up having low pressure at the centre," said agro-met advisor of Birsa Agricultural University A. Wadood.
"It was actually a tornado type formation having a low intensity where up-swelling of air occurs sucking everything which comes on its way," added Wadood. Wadood said that the as the impact was very low and the area of the structure was restricted to not more than 100-200 meters, the damage caused was also very less. Such incident had happened in Purnia in Bihar some 2 years back, which was understood as the actual form of tornado.
- Portal of land offered for dev launched 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- inbrief 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab SC panel orders VB probe against Patiala’s private college 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Haryana textile traders join strike 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab Govt launches tree plantation drive 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Textile traders down shutters in Punjab 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Cops book 5 people for attempt to murder over land dispute 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Akami Multi Specialty Ayurvedic Clinic opens in city 28 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HP Youth Congress to counter BJP yatra with Vikas Prachar yatra 28 Jun 2017 | Kamal Joshi | in Chandigarh
- Haryana aims GSDP growth at 9.8% 28 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Chandigarh