Shimla Airport set to be on aviation circuit again
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Shimla may bring back Shimla Airport on the commercial aviation circuit once again.
The scheduled flights may start taking off from Shimla Airport at Jubbarhatti after the PM’s arrival here on April 27. Sources in the State Government here said that Modi is likely to re-launch operations of scheduled flights from Shimla Airport.
Flights from the airport were suspended in September 2012, in the wake of soil erosion around the airport, due to which the runway had got compressed to 3,800 feet from 4,100 feet.
Former Chief Minister and now Leader of Opposition, Prem Kumar Dhumal, who met Modi in New Delhi on Wednesday gave ample indication of the launch of commercial flights from the airport.
Modi is scheduled to land at Jubbarhatti Airport on April 27, for his one day visit to the erstwhile summer capital of British India. He is expected to come to Shimla by Helicopter from Jubberhati Airport to Shimla.
Dhumal claimed that airlines would start the subsidised flights to Shimla airport after a gap of more than four years as regular flights from the airport had come to a halt after the Kingfisher Airlines stopped its flights from the airport in September 2012.
Dhumal said that the Prime Minister would re-launch cheap fair services on the Delhi-Shimla circuit. BJP in its Press statement has claimed that the start of scheduled flights from Shimla will boost high end tourism in the region as the high-end operation had been particularly hit after the stoppage of flights from the airport.
Dhumal said that the BJP has been raising the issue of rail connectivity of the State with the Central Government as the State had been suffering from poor rail connectivity for long. He said that he had raised the issue with the central leadership time and again and in the recent times, the State had started getting better allocations for rail network in the state.
The senior BJP leader said that the PM in his one day visit, would lay the foundation stone of first All India Institute of Medical Sciences at Bilaspur, Indian Institute of Management at Paonta Sahib beside addressing a rally in Shimla.
- Tully, Tagore to grace maiden literary fest 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Reshuffle in MP: Narhari is CPR 23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- CM transfers ‚ÄėBhavantar' amount to 1.35L farmers' a/c 23 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Don‚Äôt overlook interests of public, Guv to legislators 23 Nov 2017 | SANJEEV JHA | in Ranchi
- 5-yr jail, Rs 4 lakh fine for ex-CS Sajal Chakraborty 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Lamhe-2017 to give chance to show talent 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Gov focus on curbing malnutrition remarkable: Forsyth 23 Nov 2017 | PRANAV PRATYUSH | in Ranchi
- Tata trusts on Mission 2020 for rural entrepreneurship 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Traffic police begin exercise to ease city arteries 23 Nov 2017 | PRAGYAPALLAVI | in Ranchi
- Working on secret plans: JPCC chief 23 Nov 2017 | PNS | in Ranchi