SIT constituted to probe
To probe the sensational murder of church’s priest in Ludhiana’s Salem Tabri area a day before, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted.
Ludhiana Commissioner of Police (CP) RN Dhoke said that the SIT would comprise DCP (Investigation) Gagan Ajit Singh, ADCP Rattan Singh Brar, ACP (Investigation) Maninder Bedi and Salem Tabri police station SHO Amandeep Singh Brar.
“I will monitor the investigation. We are working on evidence including technical one besides information provided by the family, relatives and friends of the deceased. Hopefully, the accused will be traced out soon,” said Dhoke.
The pastor of a local church was shot dead by two assailants at Peerubanda Mohalla around 8.45 pm on Saturday. The bike-borne assailants fired multiple shots at the pastor, killing him on the spot. The deceased, Sultan Masih, sustained two bullet injuries in the chest and one in the head.
Earlier, the pastor’s family refused to hold a funeral until his killers were arrested, as Christians held protests against the murder, blocking the Ludhiana-Jalandhar highway to demand justice.
“We will not perform last rites until police arrest the killers. It is attack on Christians and we will not bow to any pressure. We want justice,” said a protester.
Congress MLAs Bharat Bhushan Ashu, Surinder Dawar, Sanjay Talwar, and Kuldeep Vaid tried to intervene, but protestors sat on a dharna on the Jalandhar highway.
Protesters called off the demonstration only after the police promised to take action.
Police said that although CCTV cameras installed in the church captured the incident, it was too dark to see the assailants’ faces. A heavy deployment of police was made to maintain law and order. The police personnel in riot-gear were present on the spot.
To pacify the protestors, Dhoke and other senior police officers, along with Congress leaders, held a meeting with the community's religious leaders at a nearby church. Dhoke appealed to the protestors to maintain peace and assured speedy investigation in cracking the case as early as
- Three-day film festival on Kundan Shah from Oct 25 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Women of self-help groups earn Rs 200 per day making teddy bears 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 3 people killed in group clash 21 Oct 2017 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Odisha-Jharkhand system changes day-night temp in MP 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Police nab accused in flesh trade racket 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Daughters of widow and visually challenged get admission in school 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- 23-yr old youth dies in mishap 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Bogus names in voters' lists across MP: Cong 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Youth kills himself after money dispute with father 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Furniture gutted in Peergate fire 21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal