- Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav, files mercy petition with Pakistan Army chief: ISPR
- Indian IT not H-1B dependent, says Infosys CEO
- Opposition parties to meet over Presidential election
- Those who celebrated Pak's win should go and live there: Rizvi
- 3 LeT militants gunned down in Pulwama
- Pak to review 'lenient' visa policy for Chinese citizens
Waterlogging due to rainfall in Doon
A couple of spells of rainfall in Dehradun on Monday caused water logging in various areas of the provisional State capital. The situation has once again exposed the lack of work done by the municipal authorities, district administration and departments concerned as part of their pre-monsoon measures to prevent the overflow of water, water logging and address civic sanitation issues.
As was forecast by the state meteorological centre, Dehradun witnessed a few spells of heavy rain during the daytime. Though the rainy spell did not continue for long, it was enough to cause overflow and water logging in various localities of the city. Clogged drains, encroachments and other factors exacerbated the water logging situation which also led to traffic congestion on various city roads.
It will be recalled that in the recent past, the Dehradun district magistrate had chaired a meeting with officials and directed them to clean the roadside drains and complete necessary preparations for the rains. The meteorological centre had already forecast that the monsoon season would arrive in the State by June 19-22. Despite this, the authorities in the provisional state capital have not completed the necessary works in time to prevent inconvenience and other issues during the rains.
This correspondent made repeated phone calls to the office of the municipal commissioner for information regarding the status of works but got no response. Meanwhile, the meteorological centre has forecast heavy rainfall at isolated places especially in Haridwar, Dehradun, Chamoli, Rudraprayag, Nainital and Pithoragarh districts during the next 48 hours from Monday.
- Bhopalites to witness Aradhna today 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Painting exhibition begins at Bharat Bhavan 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Use of bio-resources to be regulated soon 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Double murder case: Main accused held 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Will purchase all farm produce, assures CM 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- College students perform asanas on Yoga Day 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- World Yoga Day celebrated across institutions 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- President to visit Doon in July 22 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Muslim minors held for shouting pro-Pak slogans in Uttarakhand 22 Jun 2017 | PTI | in Dehradun
- Two woman Maoists gunned down in encounter with police 22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur