50-year-old taxi driver held for series of Goa desecration
In a breakthrough, the Goa Police on Saturday arrested a 50-year-old taxi driver in connection with the series of religious desecration across the state, in which several dozen crosses and some places of Hindu worship have also been vandalized.
The accused Francis Pereira was arrested while he was proceeding to damage a cross in the South Goa district, Superintendent of Police (South Goa) Arvind Gawas said.
“The accused has been arrested along with implements with which he used to desecrate religious places of worship,” Gawas said.
Soon after the arrest, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar along with other MLAs rushed to the Curchorem police station, where the accused is being held.
Police said that Pereira was “mentally unstable” and in a confessional video, has said that Catholic crosses were vandalised because “he wanted the souls trapped in them to be liberated”.
Over the last few weeks, a series of desecration, including a mass desecration at the Guardian Angel Catholic cemetery located in the Curchorem, had rocked the state forcing CM Manohar Parrikar to claim that malicious efforts were being made to disturb the communal harmony in Goa.
- ‚ÄėAssault‚Äô on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP 17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rain batters North-East, 17 die in flash floods, landslides 17 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Police visit rape accused Daati Maharaj's ashram 17 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Two arrested for attack on Dalit boy in Gujarat 17 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Owaisi rejects UN report on Kashmir, backs Modi Govt 17 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- No one can touch me till 2019 polls: Kumaraswamy 17 Jun 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- Karnataka Dy CM declines to confirm reports 17 Jun 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- AAP disassociates from Khaira's referendum remark 17 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- ‚ÄėPriest bobbitises himself over remarks against religious leaders' 17 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sushma to embark on seven-day trip to four European nations today 17 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jun 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Uttarakhand Transport Corporation (UTC) would use 180 buses of its fleet on Dehradun and Haridwar routes to ferry the Yoga participants from Haridwar and also to take them back after the International Yoga Day show at Forest Research Institute (FRI) in Dehradun is over. Divisional manager (Operational) UTC Dehradun, Pawan Mehra while talking to The pioneer said on Wednesday that around 280 busses operate from Dehradun depot...