- Chidambaram attacks TN Speaker for disqualifying 18 MLAs
- US resumes premium processing of H-1B visas
- Dawood's brother Iqbal Kaskar arrested in extortion case
- Intolerance, unemployment key issues facing India: Rahul Gandhi
- India seeks probe into nuclear proliferation links between Pak, N Korea
- Suu Kyi appeals to global community over Rohingya crisis
50-year-old taxi driver held for series of Goa desecration
In a breakthrough, the Goa Police on Saturday arrested a 50-year-old taxi driver in connection with the series of religious desecration across the state, in which several dozen crosses and some places of Hindu worship have also been vandalized.
The accused Francis Pereira was arrested while he was proceeding to damage a cross in the South Goa district, Superintendent of Police (South Goa) Arvind Gawas said.
“The accused has been arrested along with implements with which he used to desecrate religious places of worship,” Gawas said.
Soon after the arrest, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar along with other MLAs rushed to the Curchorem police station, where the accused is being held.
Police said that Pereira was “mentally unstable” and in a confessional video, has said that Catholic crosses were vandalised because “he wanted the souls trapped in them to be liberated”.
Over the last few weeks, a series of desecration, including a mass desecration at the Guardian Angel Catholic cemetery located in the Curchorem, had rocked the state forcing CM Manohar Parrikar to claim that malicious efforts were being made to disturb the communal harmony in Goa.
- 38-yr-old held for duping people coming to ATM 17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Traffic cop killed after being hit by truck 17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Litigant in Babri Masjid case Mahant Bhaskar Das dies 17 Sep 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Men in car threatened to kill me: Naqvi's sister 17 Sep 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Give attention to swachchh campaign: I&B Min tells TV channels, FM stations 17 Sep 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- PM to dedicate Sardar Sarovar project to nation 17 Sep 2017 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- Delay in declaring holiday on Hari Singh's birth anniversary 17 Sep 2017 | Mohit Kandhari | in Sunday Pioneer
- BJP sets a deadline to sack Karnataka Min KJ George 17 Sep 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Maya to strategise next political move at Monday‚Äôs maha rally 17 Sep 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Dileep‚Äôs actress-wife Kavya seeks anticipatory bail 17 Sep 2017 | VR Jayaraj | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Sep 2017 | PNS
MP warns against fake ads Koderma MP Ravindra Kumar Roy has warned youths to beware of fake job advertisements for KISAN TV Channel as a gang is cheating on the name of the job in this TV channel. Roy appealed to the youths not come in such a hoax as in the name of training they are asking youths to deposit money in their accounts...