Cop arrested for mowing down IAS officer's mother
A head constable of the Delhi Police, posted in the security wing, has been arrested for allegedly mowing down the mother of an IAS officer in Lutyens' Delhi.
In a hit-and-run case, a speeding vehicle had mowed down Nirmal Devi (76), the mother of IAS officer Arun Baroka, who is currently posted as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, on Madhu Limaye Marg in Chanakyapuri on Thursday evening.
The woman had succumbed to her injuries during treatment.
According to police, Chandra Bhan, the accused, who is in his 40s, had got his car repaired after the accident, in an attempt to erase any clue which could link him to it.
BK Singh, Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi), confirmed that Bhan was arrested on Friday and charged for tampering with evidence along with other offences.
According to police, a woman, who worked as a domestic help in the area, was an eyewitness to the incident. She managed to note down four digits of the Maruti WagonR car's number and told the investigators that the vehicle had a police sticker.
Police got in touch with the car mechanics in the area and traced the car and its driver. During interrogation, Bhan told police that he was on his way home in Humayunpur from his office in Chanakyapuri when the accident occurred, adding that he fled the scene out of fear.
Sources claimed that the car was being driven at a high speed and the woman was flung in the air for 15-20 metres after she was hit by it. The elderly woman was out for a walk when the car hit her while taking a right turn. She was rushed to the Primus Hospital by her grandson.
- 38-yr-old held for duping people coming to ATM 17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Traffic cop killed after being hit by truck 17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Litigant in Babri Masjid case Mahant Bhaskar Das dies 17 Sep 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Men in car threatened to kill me: Naqvi's sister 17 Sep 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Give attention to swachchh campaign: I&B Min tells TV channels, FM stations 17 Sep 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- PM to dedicate Sardar Sarovar project to nation 17 Sep 2017 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- Delay in declaring holiday on Hari Singh's birth anniversary 17 Sep 2017 | Mohit Kandhari | in Sunday Pioneer
- BJP sets a deadline to sack Karnataka Min KJ George 17 Sep 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Maya to strategise next political move at Monday‚Äôs maha rally 17 Sep 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Dileep‚Äôs actress-wife Kavya seeks anticipatory bail 17 Sep 2017 | VR Jayaraj | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Sep 2017 | Mukesh Ranjan | Ranchi
Intensifying drive against cyber criminals in Jamtara, Police have arrested four more criminals from Dharuadih and Manjhladih areas under Karmatand Police Station, while they were trying to dupe people though internet, while 20 others succeeded in escaping from the spot. As of now, as many as 104 cases of cyber crime has been lodged in the district alone, out of which more than 80 have been lodged by police itself...