- Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav, files mercy petition with Pakistan Army chief: ISPR
- Indian IT not H-1B dependent, says Infosys CEO
- Opposition parties to meet over Presidential election
- Those who celebrated Pak's win should go and live there: Rizvi
- 3 LeT militants gunned down in Pulwama
- Pak to review 'lenient' visa policy for Chinese citizens
Cop arrested for mowing down IAS officer's mother
A head constable of the Delhi Police, posted in the security wing, has been arrested for allegedly mowing down the mother of an IAS officer in Lutyens' Delhi.
In a hit-and-run case, a speeding vehicle had mowed down Nirmal Devi (76), the mother of IAS officer Arun Baroka, who is currently posted as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, on Madhu Limaye Marg in Chanakyapuri on Thursday evening.
The woman had succumbed to her injuries during treatment.
According to police, Chandra Bhan, the accused, who is in his 40s, had got his car repaired after the accident, in an attempt to erase any clue which could link him to it.
BK Singh, Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi), confirmed that Bhan was arrested on Friday and charged for tampering with evidence along with other offences.
According to police, a woman, who worked as a domestic help in the area, was an eyewitness to the incident. She managed to note down four digits of the Maruti WagonR car's number and told the investigators that the vehicle had a police sticker.
Police got in touch with the car mechanics in the area and traced the car and its driver. During interrogation, Bhan told police that he was on his way home in Humayunpur from his office in Chanakyapuri when the accident occurred, adding that he fled the scene out of fear.
Sources claimed that the car was being driven at a high speed and the woman was flung in the air for 15-20 metres after she was hit by it. The elderly woman was out for a walk when the car hit her while taking a right turn. She was rushed to the Primus Hospital by her grandson.
- 12-hr search finds body of woman killed by husband 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Man shoots at wife after she files case against him for raping stepdaughter 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Body of 17-yr-old tied to chair with throat slit found 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Kejriwal, Sisodia inspect Shakarpur Anganwadis 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- BJP backstabbed farmers: Kejriwal 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- JNU accuses JNUSU, JNUTA for disrupting Academic Council meet 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- LoP: Complete map authentication work of villages to build 25 lakh houses 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Posters at AAP HQ calls Vishwas ‘betrayer’ 18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Separatists’ bandh hits lives in Valley 18 Jun 2017 | Khursheed Wani | in Sunday Pioneer
- 3 killed, 2 missing in meghalaya landslide 18 Jun 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The Bhopalites would witness a mild evening of devotional songs and classical music at Dushyant Kumar Memorial Museum of Manuscript. The event Aradhna will be held at the museum on Thursday...