- BJP caricature of Rahul Gandhi not working any more: Tharoor
- PM inaugurates ferry service between Ghogha and Dahej in Guj
- AP CM Naidu meets scientists and food experts in US
- Democratic chairman: Trump 'most dangerous' president ever
- Mukul Roy likely to be inducted in BJP in Nov: party leader
- Militant killed in encounter in J-K's Kupwara
Crop loss: Odisha farmers file case against IMD
Farmers of Khariar block in Nuapada district represented by Sanjay Tiwari have lodged an FIR at the Khariar police station against Dr KJ Ramesh, Director General of Meteorology, India Meteorological Department (IMD), Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India, on Friday.
The farmers have stated in the FIR that they started early agricultural operations during the current kharif season (2017-18) believing in the IMD prediction that the monsoon would arrive early and the rainfall would be good. Unfortunately, crops in most of the lands have been damaged due to lack of rain.
“One of the worst droughts of the decade is looming large in the area. We have faced huge loss because of the false prediction of the IMD. We should be compensated for the loss by the IMD,” said the farmers to the Press after filing the FIR.
There is a huge shortfall in actual rainfall in June and July in Khariar, Boden, Sinapali and Komna blocks of Nuapada district. Crops have started drying due to water stress. This would be the third consecutive year of drought for the people of the district.
“The calculations of the IMD were unscientific. They have speculated like laymen and pushed us to face huge loss. Most of the farmers in the district have not been able to insure their crops during the current kharif season as there was problem of internet for about a week in the last part of July. The worst day for us is looming ahead,” they added.
The police have, however, not yet given a copy of the FIR to the complainants. It was learnt that local police officials would decide about the matter after consultations with their higher authorities.
- Why we think obsessively 22 Oct 2017 | Ajit Kumar Bishnoi | in Agenda
- Eve-teaser assaults minor girl in Mumbai, caught on camera 22 Oct 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- Cong plans alliance with Hardik, other anti-BJP elements in Guj 22 Oct 2017 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- PM Modi to launch Ro-Ro ferry from Ghogha to Dahej 22 Oct 2017 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- Mumbai Metro pillar collapses at construction site, one injured 22 Oct 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- 11 killed, 16 hurt as truck overturns at Sangli 22 Oct 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- Yeddyurappa alleges coal scam in K‚Äôtaka 22 Oct 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Party, people are with me: Chandy 22 Oct 2017 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- EC delaying Guj poll dates not a good thing: Yadav 22 Oct 2017 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- 18 arrested for assaulting three Army personnel in J&K 22 Oct 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...