- Office of profit: Prez OKs disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs
- Develop a US-style online platform to sell bad loans: Acharya
- WEF preps for Modi mantra with tastes of India, twists of yoga
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy over cross-border firing
- No one can touch a woman without her consent: Delhi court
- No fresh firing by Pakistan along LoC, IB overnight
- UNSC sanctions monitoring team to visit Pak this week
- Bawana fire: Police nabbed factory owner
Heads likely to roll in Bihar Congress
All seems not well in Bihar Congress as the party is facing the threat of disintegration. There are voices of dissent in the party which was not taken kindly by the party high command and there is all possibility that some heads might be rolled for rebellion or defying the diktats of high command.
The threat of split was lurking since the party was ousted from power in the last week of July when Chief Minister Nitish Kumar leading the Mahagathbandhan Government broke the grand alliance and joined hands with the BJP. The party high command including chief Sonia Gandhi and vice president Rahul Gandhi have tried to keep the flock together amid reports that a number of Congress MLAs were weighing options to join JD(U).
The high command is heaving a sigh of relief after it succeeded in nipping the rebellion in the bud in Bihar particularly after Rahul held one-to-one talks with each party legislator in Delhi on Thursday but in BPCC circles it is still speculated that a good number of MLAs are not feeling easy in the party.
Bihar Congress president Ashok Choudhary, who till recently was Education Minister and close confident of Nitish, seemingly feeling the heat and likely to be axed soon. Similarly, the high command is also not very pleased with Congress Legislature Party leader and nine terms MLA Sadanand Singh. The AICC Bihar incharge C P Joshi is also expected to be replaced. Amid the speculations of the split in the CLP it was widely believed that it was the team of Choudhary and Singh who tried to seek signature of legislators for enforcing a split.
According to sources in Congress the leadership was quite upset with the three functionaries and they might be replaced. Some names are already doing round in the party circle. The high command was alerted when there had been reports that at least 14 MLAs had signed for the split in the CLP and attempts were on to seek the support of four more for formalizing split in the 27 member CLP. Rahul was so furious that he gave a dressing down to the MLAs with suspected loyalty.
Senior Congress leader Umakant Singh took a dig at the State leadership and asked who the people were indulging in conspiracy to engineer split. He recalled that in 2015 election many “outsiders” were given ticket who had nothing to do with Congress. He said many of them were primary members of JD(U). When Nitish failed to accommodate them he forced Congress to give them tickets and many of them won, he added.
An emotional Choudhary said that it was a false charges that he was behind attempt to engineer split. A teary eyed PCC chief said he served the party for 25 years (including four years as State president) and took it to new heights from the marginalization. “Some senior leaders of the AICC are trying to topple me and appoint their favourite as party chief,” he alleged.
- Globe Trotting 21 Jan 2018 | Agencies | in Sunday Pioneer
- S Korea asks N Korea to explain cancelled visit 21 Jan 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Chinese human rights lawyer's detention ‚Äėabsurd', says attorney 21 Jan 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- US Supreme Court to hear Trump's travel ban 3.0 challenge in April 21 Jan 2018 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Pope to visit Peruvian region hit by El Nino floods 21 Jan 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afg 21 Jan 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- US Govt shuts down 21 Jan 2018 | S Rajagopalan | in Sunday Pioneer
- Cold wave prevails in north India, temps drop in Kashmir 21 Jan 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 80-year-old woman raped in Pune by unidentified man 21 Jan 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Women achievers meet Prez, among them a coolie from Raj 21 Jan 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jan 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Attractive and colourful tableaux showcasing the development of the State made on different frontages and over 17 platoons reflecting their charisma are again set to steal the show on Republic Day here at Morhabadi Ground. Presenting the glimpse of modern and developing Jharkhand, this R-Day as many as 12 tableaus of different government departments will enthrall the denizens...