Mohan Bhagwat calls for change in education system
RSS head Mohan Bhagwat on Saturday said though the leading lights of the freedom movement, including Mahatma Gandhi, Lokmanya Tilak and Rabindranath Tagore, were product of the western education system introduced by Lord Macaulay, they were never influenced by it. Bhagwat said there is a “consensus in the society” that the education system needs to be changed.
While pointing out that Gandhi, Tilak and Tagore remained uninfluenced by “western education” of which Macaulay was the pioneer, Bhagwat emphasised it is not only the schooling, but a child’s parents and the atmosphere at home and in the society that play a larger role in upbringing.
British politician Thomas Babington Macaulay (1800-1859), was instrumental in the introduction of English as the medium of instruction for higher education in the colonial India that produced the most of the English educated Indian middle-class of which many led the nationalist movement to free India from the British rule .
“...The Macaulay education system, which we say is a foreign education system, produced Vivekananda, Lokmanya Tilak, Gandhiji and Rabindranath Tagore... So why did that school education system not influence them? The entire generation which participated in the freedom movement studied in the Macaulay education system,” he said.
The RSS chief was speaking at the launch of the Indian Education Manual (Bharatiya Shiksha Grant Mala) by Ahmedabad-based think-tank Punarutthan Vidyapeeth.
The RSS has been advocating a total change in the Indian education system away from western system. One of the drafts education policy prepared by the RSS has already been submitted to the Central Government.
- Business Corner 24 Jun 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Committee suggests 100% foodgrain packaging in jute bags 24 Jun 2018 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- India, Cuba agree to enhance co-op in biotechnology 24 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Prepare policy to set up stalls of GI products at airports: Prabhu to officials 24 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- S Balasubramanian to take over as Bharti Infratel CFO on Aug 10 24 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Infosys stable and on verge of something momentous: Nilekani 24 Jun 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Latvian woman‚Äôs murder: Live-in partner blasts LDF 24 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | in Sunday Pioneer
- TN on verge of taking over by secessionists, warns Radhakrishnan 24 Jun 2018 | Kumar Chellappan | in Sunday Pioneer
- HDK rejects guidelines of Cauvery River Water Regulation Committee 24 Jun 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | Lucknow
Cabinet minister and Suheldeo Bhartiya Samaj Party chief Om Prakash Rajbhar along with his supporters constructed a road in his village near Varanasi on Saturday. The minister, a compulsive dissident in the Yogi government, resorted to the extreme step maintaining that despite repeated requests, the Public Works Department (PWD) refused to construct the road...