Soon, policy to restrict pet coke imports: Pradhan
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Saturday said the Government is planning to curb the imports of petroleum coke, also known as ‘pet coke’, which is believed to be a major polluter.
The statement follows reports that US-based oil refineries are exporting pet coke — a carbon-rich solid material derived from oil refining — to India as there aren't many takers for it in their country.
“Recently the Supreme Court banned the use of pet coke in three states surrounding the Delhi-NCR. Consumption of pet coke is around 25 million tonnes in our country. Of this, around 13 million tonnes is produced by Indian refineries (rest is imported),” said Pradhan at a press conference here.
Asked about his plans for reducing the imports as well as use of pet coke, Pradhan said a policy is being framed by various stake-holder ministries to put curbs on its imports.
Pet coke does not cause pollution if it is used as fuel in certain industries such as cement production, the minister said. At present, Ministry of Petroleum along with ministries of environment, commerce and some other ministries are framing a policy to increase restrictions on imports of pet coke.
“We are planning to implement a system to stop imports and use home-produced pet coke for non-polluting sectors, such as cement production,” he said.
Giving details of ongoing work by ONGC in Kutch Offshore Basin, Pradhan said the basin, near the Gujarat coast, would produce nearly three million metric standard cubic meter per day of gas for the next 15 years.
“It is a significant discovery. ONGC is carrying out exploratory work in the basin for the last one year. This is a Rs 2,500 crore project, which would produce 3 MMCM per day for the next 15 years,” he said.
- N Korea blames US for tensions in rare UN talks 10 Dec 2017 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rohingya crisis: Red Cross faced with ‚Äėreal challenge' 10 Dec 2017 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Saudi-led strike on Yemen TV station kills four: Houthis 10 Dec 2017 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Gaza rocket hits Israeli town: Army 10 Dec 2017 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Nepal Left alliance sweeps parliamentary poll 10 Dec 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Israel strikes kill two in Gaza as Trump rage 10 Dec 2017 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- US draws flak over Jerusalem 10 Dec 2017 | S Rajagopalan | in Sunday Pioneer
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr Central aid 10 Dec 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Put country first, Rawat tells students 10 Dec 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Brahmaputra turbidity level beyond permissible level 10 Dec 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...