Fags to burn hole in your pocket again
There’s bad news for smokers! Smoking is going to be costlier yet again with the Budget increasing excise duty on cigarettes and cigars for the fourth consecutive year. Excise duty on cigarettes has been increased by 25 per cent for cigarettes of length not exceeding 65 mm and by 15 per cent for cigarettes of other lengths. Last year, the hike was at 22 per cent.
“Similar increases are proposed on cigars, cheroots and cigarillos,” said Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. However, no tax on bidi has disappointed the anti-tobacco activists. “There has been no increase in tax rate on bidis, small bidi manufacturers who produce less than 20 lakh bidis (2 million) in a year avail exemption from paying excise duty,” said Bhavna Mukhopadhyay, Executive Director, Voluntary Health Association of India.
“Raising tax on cigarettes is welcome and it will be helpful to curb consumption. But why bidi remains exempted from any tax hike. The bidi industry kills users and exploits the manufacturer (bidi rollers). It is truly sad that Government turns a blind eye to that segment,” said Pankaj Chaturvedi of Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
- Lynch protest: police fire in air, Sec 144 imposed in four areas 21 May 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Attack on CRPF men in April: 18 Naxalites taken into custody 21 May 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Shah lists Govt’s feats, says BJP will win more seats 21 May 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Narada sting: ED issues fresh summons to Narada CEO 21 May 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 1 killed, 13 hurt as bus turns turtle in Mumbai 21 May 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath chairs security review meeting with 5 CMs 21 May 2017 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- 179 Maha pilgrims stranded en route to Badrinath safe: Fadnavis 21 May 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Of 2,000 stranded, 800 resume journey 21 May 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- NIA quizzes separatists in Kashmir Valley 21 May 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Pak lawyer at ICJ was hired by UPA in 2004: Rao 21 May 2017 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 May 2017 | SURESH NIKHAR | JARIDIH
In a disconsolate mishap, three persons were killed and four sustained critical injuries when a car in which they were travelling lost control and hit a road side tree at Kalyanpur on Ramgrah –Bokaro road in the Bokaro district on Friday afternoon at 4pm ,police in charge Radha Kumari sources said According to sources all the victims of residents of Chatra while they were coming to Bokaro. The deceased have...