- BJP caricature of Rahul Gandhi not working any more: Tharoor
- PM inaugurates ferry service between Ghogha and Dahej in Guj
- AP CM Naidu meets scientists and food experts in US
- Democratic chairman: Trump 'most dangerous' president ever
- Mukul Roy likely to be inducted in BJP in Nov: party leader
- Militant killed in encounter in J-K's Kupwara
Vikas Barala, friend sent to judicial custody till August 25
After two days of police custody, a city court in Chandigarh on Saturday sent Vikas Barala and his friend Ashish Kumar to judicial custody till August 25. Both the accused in the Varnika Kundu stalking and attempt to abduction case, were presented before the court of duty magistrate Gaurav Dutta amid tight police security.
Defence counsel Surya Prakash said, “Both the youths have been sent to 14 days of judicial custody”.
On Thursday, both Vikas and Ashish were sent to two-day police custody for stalking 29-year-old Varnika last week.
Vikas, the son of Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Haryana unit president Subhash Barala, and Ashish Kumar were arrested on Thursday when they appeared in Chandigarh Sector 26 police station after being summoned in the case. There was a massive outrage on streets and in the parliament regarding the incident.
Subhash Barala, however, rebuffed the claim of pressurising or influencing the police in the case.
The defence lawyer had earlier claimed that Vikas and Ashish had not committed any offence and said a “media trial” was going on in the case.
Police arrested the duo after examining the CCTV footage of the incident, saying that they have sufficient evidence against the accused people.
Director General of Police, Chandigarh, Tajender Singh Luthra said they were arrested on charges of attempt to abduction and IPC 365 and 511 have been filed against them.
The summon was issued to the duo under 160 Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and the case has been filed against Barala under Section 354D (stalking), 341 (wrongful restraint), 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and 185 MV Act (rash driving).
Vikas and Ashish were initially arrested on August 5 on charges of stalking and harassing IAS officer’s daughter Varnika Kundu in Chandigarh early that morning. They were, however, granted bail the same day.
Subhash Barala broke his silence on the matter on Tuesday after being mute for over three days and said, Varnika “is like my daughter”. He assured action against his son.
- Why we think obsessively 22 Oct 2017 | Ajit Kumar Bishnoi | in Agenda
- Eve-teaser assaults minor girl in Mumbai, caught on camera 22 Oct 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- Cong plans alliance with Hardik, other anti-BJP elements in Guj 22 Oct 2017 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- PM Modi to launch Ro-Ro ferry from Ghogha to Dahej 22 Oct 2017 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- Mumbai Metro pillar collapses at construction site, one injured 22 Oct 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- 11 killed, 16 hurt as truck overturns at Sangli 22 Oct 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- Yeddyurappa alleges coal scam in K‚Äôtaka 22 Oct 2017 | KESTUR VASUKI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Party, people are with me: Chandy 22 Oct 2017 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- EC delaying Guj poll dates not a good thing: Yadav 22 Oct 2017 | IANS | in Sunday Pioneer
- 18 arrested for assaulting three Army personnel in J&K 22 Oct 2017 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...