2 drown, 30 missing as Goa bridge caves in
At least two people died and 30 went missing after a Portuguese-era dilapidatedfootbridge over Sanvordem River in Goa collapsed on Thursday evening, a top official said. Unconfirmed reports claimed the bridge caved in when more than 50 people were standing on it to watch the rescue operation of a youth, who had jumped into the river to commit suicide.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters in Panaji that the exact number of people missing as a result of the accident was still not known and that Indian Navy divers had been pressed into search and rescue operations.
“I have received reports that 22 people have been rescued by the fire brigade. Some swam back to the shore on their own.
However, we do not have the exact number of how many people were on the bridge when it collapsed,” Parrikar told reporters.
Director General of Police Muktesh Chander told reporters that the exact count of persons missing due to the mishaps had not been confirmed.
“Nive Navy divers with Gemini boats and associated equipment rush to Curchorem, South Goa bridge collapse site for search and rescue operations,” Indian Navy tweeted.
South Goa MP Narendra Savaikar, who is also monitoring the relief and rescue operation, told The Pioneer that one body had been recovered so far and the deceased has been identified as one Basavaraj Malanavar, aged 30 and a resident of Bazar Wada in Sanguem sub district.
“Spoke to Goa CM Shri Manohar Parrikar @manoharparrikar regarding the bridge collapse on Sanvordem River. Search and rescue ops have been identified,” Union Home minister Rajnath Singh said in a tweet.
District administration officials, police fire bridges and military personnel are still onsite conducting relief operations.
- English Hons tops DU aspirants‚Äô choice 20 May 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- Every stone a youth picks destabilises Valley: Modi 20 May 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Kumaraswamy to take oath as CM on May 23 20 May 2018 | PNS
- Rahul calls PM corrupt, demands Vala‚Äôs head 20 May 2018 | PNS
- BSY resigns before trust as his confidence wanes by evening 20 May 2018 | Kestur Vasuki
- How Congress weaved its magic 20 May 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Blame Cong for installing 3rd ranker JD(S) in power 20 May 2018 | Swapan Dasgupta
- Delhi to fell Vilayti Kikar for desi ones 19 May 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Pak at it again, kills 5 on Modi visit eve 19 May 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
- Police question Kejriwal for 3.5 hrs 19 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 May 2018 | Ashis Sinha | Bokaro
More than dozens of the trains were affected after a traffic block conducted by railway on Bokaro-Kotshila rail block on Saturday. The traffic block was conducted to eliminate two unmanned railway crossing between Bokaro and Kotshila and to construct limited height subway there, informed S K Srivastava DRM Adra Division...