2 drown, 30 missing as Goa bridge caves in
At least two people died and 30 went missing after a Portuguese-era dilapidatedfootbridge over Sanvordem River in Goa collapsed on Thursday evening, a top official said. Unconfirmed reports claimed the bridge caved in when more than 50 people were standing on it to watch the rescue operation of a youth, who had jumped into the river to commit suicide.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters in Panaji that the exact number of people missing as a result of the accident was still not known and that Indian Navy divers had been pressed into search and rescue operations.
“I have received reports that 22 people have been rescued by the fire brigade. Some swam back to the shore on their own.
However, we do not have the exact number of how many people were on the bridge when it collapsed,” Parrikar told reporters.
Director General of Police Muktesh Chander told reporters that the exact count of persons missing due to the mishaps had not been confirmed.
“Nive Navy divers with Gemini boats and associated equipment rush to Curchorem, South Goa bridge collapse site for search and rescue operations,” Indian Navy tweeted.
South Goa MP Narendra Savaikar, who is also monitoring the relief and rescue operation, told The Pioneer that one body had been recovered so far and the deceased has been identified as one Basavaraj Malanavar, aged 30 and a resident of Bazar Wada in Sanguem sub district.
“Spoke to Goa CM Shri Manohar Parrikar @manoharparrikar regarding the bridge collapse on Sanvordem River. Search and rescue ops have been identified,” Union Home minister Rajnath Singh said in a tweet.
District administration officials, police fire bridges and military personnel are still onsite conducting relief operations.
- An ultimate triumph after long, arduous struggle 23 Aug 2017 | Ishan Joshi
- Don ticks off Pak for terror haven 23 Aug 2017 | S Rajagopalan / PNS
- Pro-Dinakaran MLAs try to upset EPS apple cart 23 Aug 2017 | Kumar Chellappan
- Personal Board‚Äôs future plan on Sept 10 23 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Need for consummation of marriage to remarry, polygamy next in line 23 Aug 2017 | Abraham Thomas
- CJI hogs 393-p order, but in minority 23 Aug 2017 | Abraham Thomas
- Triple talaq is now history 23 Aug 2017 | Abraham Thomas
- Rly Board set for overhaul after train tragedy in Muzaffarnagar 22 Aug 2017 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- McDonald‚Äôs closing all outlets in north, east India 22 Aug 2017 | PNS
- House panel rejects corporate-style appraisal for babus 22 Aug 2017 | J Gopikrishnan
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Aug 2017 | PNS | Jamshedpur
In a shocking case of negligence, a 17-year-old minor girl delivered a child on the road, nearly 30 meters from the Chandil community health center, in neighbouring Seraikel-Kharsawan, on Tuesday morning. According to reports, despite request there was delay in sending of ambulance for the girl who was crying in pain and delivered a girl child on the road and was later carried on an auto-rickshaw to the hospital...