×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Today's Newspaper

2 drown, 30 missing as Goa bridge caves in

| | Curchorem
2 drown, 30 missing as Goa bridge caves in

At least two people died and 30 went missing after a Portuguese-era dilapidatedfootbridge over Sanvordem River in Goa collapsed on Thursday evening, a top official said. Unconfirmed reports claimed the bridge caved in  when  more than 50 people were standing on it to watch the rescue operation of a youth, who had jumped into the river to commit suicide.

Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters in Panaji that the exact number of people missing as a result of the accident was still not known and that Indian Navy divers had been pressed into search and rescue operations.

“I have received reports that 22 people have been rescued by the fire brigade. Some swam back to the shore on their own.

However, we do not have the exact number of how many people were on the bridge when it collapsed,” Parrikar told reporters.

Director General of Police Muktesh Chander told reporters that the exact count of persons missing due to the mishaps had not been confirmed.

“Nive Navy divers with Gemini boats and associated equipment rush to Curchorem, South Goa bridge collapse site for search and rescue operations,” Indian Navy tweeted.

South Goa MP Narendra Savaikar, who is also monitoring the relief and rescue operation, told The Pioneer that one body had been recovered so far and the deceased has been identified as one Basavaraj Malanavar, aged 30 and a resident of Bazar Wada in Sanguem sub district.

“Spoke to Goa CM Shri Manohar Parrikar @manoharparrikar regarding the bridge collapse on Sanvordem River. Search and rescue ops have been identified,” Union Home minister Rajnath Singh said in a tweet.

District administration officials, police fire bridges and military personnel are still onsite conducting relief operations.

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

I am with you, Pawar tells victims of social media trolls

15 Oct 2017 | IANS | Mumbai

Coming out in support of young victims of social media trolls, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Sharad Pawar on Saturday exhorted them to speak out against the wrong policies of the Government and oppose growing incidents of intolerance and fascism across India. In an unique initiative, Pawar met around 35 youngsters who have been threatened on social media and/or booked by police for speaking out their minds against the Government and...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Three-day film festival on Kundan Shah from Oct 25

21 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal

A three-day film festival based on renowned filmmaker Kundan Shah will be organised in city. The film festival is all about the movies by Kundan Shah...

Read More

Page generated in 0.6006 seconds.